Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sheetrock repair question

I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing (@#$% plastic
pipe anyhow...).

Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some 2x2s or 2x4s
to build a frame around the hole to attach the sheet rock to, and while a
bit of work it's not too bad and will work. Are there any other ways to put
a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would be less work? Clips to
hold in in place, etc.?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2010 4:33 PM, Zootal wrote:
I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing (@#$% plastic
pipe anyhow...).

Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some 2x2s or 2x4s
to build a frame around the hole to attach the sheet rock to, and while a
bit of work it's not too bad and will work. Are there any other ways to put
a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would be less work? Clips to
hold in in place, etc.?

Why don't you install a paintable access panel so you can get to it
again? The big box stores stock them as I recall.

http://www.divplastics.com/products/ezaccess/index.cfm

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 5:33*pm, Zootal wrote:
I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing (@#$% plastic
pipe anyhow...).

Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some 2x2s or 2x4s
to build a frame around the hole to attach the sheet rock to, and while a
bit of work it's not too bad and will work. Are there any other ways to put
a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would be less work? Clips to
hold in in place, etc.?

18x18 would normally hit some framing, but even if it doesn't I'd just
screw some scrap plywood strips around the perimeter on the backside
of the drywall. If it's a ceiling and the framing is 24 OC I'd
probably throw in some 2x material bridging across the opening to
reduce the risk of sagging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 4:33*pm, Zootal wrote:
I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing (@#$% plastic
pipe anyhow...).

Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some 2x2s or 2x4s
to build a frame around the hole to attach the sheet rock to, and while a
bit of work it's not too bad and will work. Are there any other ways to put
a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would be less work? Clips to
hold in in place, etc.?

I will usually cut a rectangle piece out so that it falls over the
nearest framing members. I feel this is a better repair than putting
unsupported pieces behind the rock. I often use a steel ruler and a
utility knife and just score repeatedly till you cut through.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Now is not a great time to learn this:

When you cut the hole, bevel the cuts toward the center of the
piece. One of the multitools does this extraordinarily well.
With care, you can keep the original piece without damaging it.
An application of DAP or similar will "glue" the piece back into
the hole. A bit of touch up paint, but if the wall is white to
off white, may not need any.

Another good trick is to cut the patch 4" larger than the hole.
Cut the back side of the rock to size to fit the hole, peel off
the drywall leaving a 2" flap of finish paper around the
perimeter. Scrape back the texture around the hole, butter well
with compound, install the plug, striking the paper tight to the
wall. This will be much tighter than the build up you will get by
taping and bedding on top of the drywall.

Neither system requires any fasteners and make quite sound
repairs.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Zootal" wrote in message
. 97.131...
I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing
(@#$% plastic
pipe anyhow...).

Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some
2x2s or 2x4s
to build a frame around the hole to attach the sheet rock to,
and while a
bit of work it's not too bad and will work. Are there any other
ways to put
a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would be less work?
Clips to
hold in in place, etc.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2010 3:27 PM DanG spake thus:

Another good trick is to cut the patch 4" larger than the hole.
Cut the back side of the rock to size to fit the hole, peel off
the drywall leaving a 2" flap of finish paper around the
perimeter. Scrape back the texture around the hole, butter well
with compound, install the plug, striking the paper tight to the
wall. This will be much tighter than the build up you will get by
taping and bedding on top of the drywall.

That method is called a "dutchman", and it's a good way to repair
rectangular holes up to about 2' square in drywall. Very easy to mud and
finish, and plenty strong enough.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
. 97.131...
I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing (@#$% plastic
pipe anyhow...).

Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some 2x2s or
2x4s
to build a frame around the hole to attach the sheet rock to, and while a
bit of work it's not too bad and will work. Are there any other ways to
put
a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would be less work? Clips to
hold in in place, etc.?

In the past I would say 18x18 should have caught at least one stud but that
may not be true today.

All you need is:
drywall screws
2 24" scraps of wood, 1x4 works well
the drywall you cut out or replacement piece.
drywall tools
tape and mud.

Set the two pieces (scabs) of 1x4 on each side of the hole extending 3"
above and below.
Secure each with two screws at the top and bottom though the existing wall.
Add the 18x18 piece, secure to the scabs with screws.
Tape and mud applied in thin coats over several days.

I have pictures for an article I have yet to write. Be glad to answer
questions here or share them.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
. 97.131...
I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing (@#$% plastic
pipe anyhow...).

Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some 2x2s or
2x4s
to build a frame around the hole to attach the sheet rock to, and while a
bit of work it's not too bad and will work. Are there any other ways to
put
a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would be less work? Clips to
hold in in place, etc.?

I would fix it by the following method:

Cut two 1x3's or 4's two inches longer than the hole. Slide them in the
hole, first upward until it all goes in then downward until the one by is
inside the hole. Fasten along one edge with drywall screws through the
drywall, leaving half the width of the one by inside the drywall, and half
showing in the hole. Put the other one in the same way. Cut a patch to
fit, or just reinstall the piece you cut out, and screw it to the two one
by's. Patch with some tape, mud, let dry, repeat, until acceptable visibly,
then retexture. The one bys will hold it solid, and you can even put them
on all four side on a hole that big so it doesn't crack.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 5:33*pm, Zootal wrote:
Are there any other ways to put
a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would be less work?

The trick, for future reference, is to cut a patch piece first, then
use that as a template for your wall cut. Make all the cuts on an
angle, so that the patch wedges into the hole, then trim for 1/16 -
1/8 of relief for mud.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:
I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing (@#$% plastic
pipe anyhow...).

Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some 2x2s or 2x4s
to build a frame around the hole to attach the sheet rock to, and while a
bit of work it's not too bad and will work. Are there any other ways to put
a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would be less work? Clips to
hold in in place, etc.?

Yes, clips are available from many sources.

See:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=109397899

http://tinyurl.com/2c5lvcx

Good luck with the repair,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 12/4/2010 4:33 PM, Zootal wrote:
I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing (@#$%
plastic pipe anyhow...).

Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some 2x2s
or 2x4s to build a frame around the hole to attach the sheet rock to,
and while a bit of work it's not too bad and will work. Are there any
other ways to put a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would
be less work? Clips to hold in in place, etc.?

Why don't you install a paintable access panel so you can get to it
again? The big box stores stock them as I recall.

http://www.divplastics.com/products/ezaccess/index.cfm

TDD

It's not really a good location - there is a sink and cabinet that goes on
the wall that I patched. Though honestly I love the idea - I always thought
it was somewhat stupid to put wiring and plumbing in walls and then seal
them so you can't do maintanence on them. How many here have had to rip out
a wall so they could get to the plumbing or wiring?

Yeah, yeah, I know - most plumbing and wiring never needs maintenance, so
why install a gazillion access panels that will never be needed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Dec 4, 5:33*pm, Zootal wrote:
[...]

The studs here come in different spacing - I'm not sure what they were
thinking when they put the walls up...

But this is what I ended up doing. Scrap plywood strips screwed to the
existing sheetrock so they extend into the hole so that I can screw the
patch to them work very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 4:02 PM, Zootal wrote:
The Daring wrote in
:

[...]

I had to replace the 1" water pressure regulator at a service station
some years ago. I found it inside a wall under a sink, I darn sure
installed an access panel on that job. Besides, if you are of that
persuasion, it makes a great stash. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

(snip)
I had to replace the 1" water pressure regulator at a service station
some years ago. I found it inside a wall under a sink, I darn sure
installed an access panel on that job. Besides, if you are of that
persuasion, it makes a great stash. :-)

TDD

Well, it used to, till you blabbed it to the whole world.

--
aem sends...

How do I repair ceiling sheetrock damage? mm Home Repair 6 November 25th 10 09:49 AM
Sheetrock question Jack Home Repair 12 October 25th 09 01:57 PM
Sheetrock question Art Home Repair 21 February 10th 09 03:10 PM
Sheetrock repair NealR2000 Home Repair 6 September 19th 08 03:54 AM
Sheetrock repair Jack Home Repair 2 June 26th 06 07:02 AM