Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sheetrock repair

I have a finished basement, with painted sheetrock on the walls. One
of the walls got water damaged a year ago, due to outside flooding.
The exterior problem has since been fixed, and everything is now dry.
The result, however, is a fair amount of minor "bubbling" on the
sheetrock.

Can this be sanded down and re-painted, or do I need to have new
sheetrock installed? I thought I could just have it sanded, but a
friend of mine said that sheetrock has a top layer of paper, and you
cannot just sand this down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2008 4:44 AM NealR2000 spake thus:

I have a finished basement, with painted sheetrock on the walls. One
of the walls got water damaged a year ago, due to outside flooding.
The exterior problem has since been fixed, and everything is now dry.
The result, however, is a fair amount of minor "bubbling" on the
sheetrock.

Can this be sanded down and re-painted, or do I need to have new
sheetrock installed? I thought I could just have it sanded, but a
friend of mine said that sheetrock has a top layer of paper, and you
cannot just sand this down.

It does (paper on both sides), and unless you want to live with
potential mildew or mold inside the gypsum board, you'd be better off
replacing it (where needed, of course).

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 4:44*am, NealR2000 wrote:
I have a finished basement, with painted sheetrock on the walls. *One
of the walls got water damaged a year ago, due to outside flooding.
The exterior problem has since been fixed, and everything is now dry.
The result, however, is a fair amount of minor "bubbling" on the
sheetrock.

Can this be sanded down and re-painted, or do I need to have new
sheetrock installed? *I thought I could just have it sanded, but a
friend of mine said that sheetrock has a top layer of paper, and you
cannot just sand this down.

depends on how good you want it to look, where you live and how moist
the basement is on an ongoing basis

is the wall textured or smooth?

your friend is correct, actually paper on both sides

and if you sand too much you'll "burn through" the paper but no huge
deal, you can just mud over it to smooth it out

I'd sand or cut off the bumps, skim coat with a little 20 minute mud,
let dry (use a fan), prime & paint

it will be fine

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 04:44:37 -0700 (PDT), NealR2000
wrote:

I have a finished basement, with painted sheetrock on the walls. One
of the walls got water damaged a year ago, due to outside flooding.
The exterior problem has since been fixed, and everything is now dry.
The result, however, is a fair amount of minor "bubbling" on the
sheetrock.

Can this be sanded down and re-painted, or do I need to have new
sheetrock installed? I thought I could just have it sanded, but a
friend of mine said that sheetrock has a top layer of paper, and you
cannot just sand this down.

Your friend is right, sheetrock has a paper layer. It would be easier
to replave it, use green sheetrock for mold/mildew resistance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"NealR2000" wrote in message
I have a finished basement, with painted sheetrock on the walls. One
of the walls got water damaged a year ago, due to outside flooding.
The exterior problem has since been fixed, and everything is now dry.
The result, however, is a fair amount of minor "bubbling" on the
sheetrock.

Can this be sanded down and re-painted, or do I need to have new
sheetrock installed? I thought I could just have it sanded, but a
friend of mine said that sheetrock has a top layer of paper, and you
cannot just sand this down.

Peel,cut or scrape ALL loose paper off (bubbles).. MUCH easier than
sanding.Re-screw affected area..Re-set popped screwheads..skim coat the area
2 or 3 times. Using Sheetrock Brand Easysand setting type Joint Compound
(20,45,90) instead of regular joint compound will help with any mold as it
seems mold doesn't like it for some reason...LOL...Sand,prime and paint..If
sheetrock crumbles and falls apart then you will have to cut out the
affected area and put up new Rock...Good luck....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a finished basement, with painted sheetrock on the walls. One
of the walls got water damaged a year ago, due to outside flooding.
The exterior problem has since been fixed, and everything is now dry.
The result, however, is a fair amount of minor "bubbling" on the
sheetrock.

Can this be sanded down and re-painted, or do I need to have new
sheetrock installed? I thought I could just have it sanded, but a
friend of mine said that sheetrock has a top layer of paper, and you
cannot just sand this down.

Your friend is right, sheetrock has a paper layer. It would be easier
to replave it, use green sheetrock for mold/mildew resistance.

I agree, you probably could shave it down and build it back up with
joint compound, but it'll probably be easier/quicker to just knock it
down and start over, and you'll get a better finish that way and also
you won't wonder whether there's any mold you didn't get.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

NealR2000 wrote:

I have a finished basement, with painted sheetrock on the walls. One
of the walls got water damaged a year ago, due to outside flooding.
The exterior problem has since been fixed, and everything is now dry.
The result, however, is a fair amount of minor "bubbling" on the
sheetrock.

Can this be sanded down and re-painted, or do I need to have new
sheetrock installed? I thought I could just have it sanded, but a
friend of mine said that sheetrock has a top layer of paper, and you
cannot just sand this down.

Just dig out the holes or water damaged area and re plaster that area. Why
go through all the mess and trouble to install a new piece of drywall? Just
fix the damaged areas. Unless you suspect mold or mildew behind the
effective drywall.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Is there much of an R value to sheetrock? jtpr Woodworking 17 December 5th 07 11:36 PM
Sheetrock repair Jack Home Repair 2 June 26th 06 08:02 AM
Sheetrock qwert Home Repair 3 April 17th 06 07:30 AM
Which Sheetrock Should I Use? x071907 Home Repair 2 April 23rd 04 12:55 AM
Sheetrock Meleah Foreman Home Repair 4 March 28th 04 04:15 AM