Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How do I repair ceiling sheetrock damage?

How do I repair ceiling sheetrock damage?

After more than 100 visits over the last 25 years to my unfinished
truss-built attic, I finally stepped through the ceiling below.

I made an X-shaped pair of cuts in it, one cut about 3 feet and the
other about 2, crossing in the middle, with 2 opposite pieces hanging
down, one a little bit, held up by the light fixture at one edge, and
one a lot, held up only by the paper.

I want to make as good a temporary repair as I can, working alone.
What should I do?

I think I can go up in the attic again, and nail a 1x4, or 2x2, or
2x4, between the two bordering trusses, right where the the two
dangling pieces would go; and then use sheet-rock screws to attach the
two dangling pieces to the new wood. The trusses are every 24 inches.

Maybe two more pieces of wood, one above each of the pieces that are
not danglng. Almost all of all four pieces is between the same two
trusses.

OR, maybe with the right brackets pre-attached, I could put in a piece
of plywood, 22 1/2 inches by a foot or a little more wide.

Is there some sort of bracket/hanger in the hanger section that would
make this easier so I could get the height of the new wood right?

Thanks.

I had put a lot of 16" wide 8-foot pieces of plywood there as a floor,
but I was carrying a 12" tv with one arm, and trying to move things
with the other so I could put the tv where I wanted it, and I stumbled
and went an inch or two beyond the bottom of the trusses, through one
of the few places in the middle area that had no "floor". I had only
been up there once in the last 2 or 3 years, and I think I forgot how
incomplete the "floor" was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

I did that at work about 5 years ago. Leg went right through to the
crotch. Startling, it was. My temporary repair was a large piece of
white paper thumbtacked to the ceiling. But you might as well do it
right, and cut out a rectangular section back to the center of the
nearest joists. Put up a new chunk of drywall, and call that your
temporary repair. The finished repair will be when you tape, mud, and
paint it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Smitty's advice was sound. Hang it now and finish it whenever.

How big is the total area if you cut it out to the nearest joist?

Even at my age with a bad back I can lift, and secure with cheats a 2x4
piece of 1/2" board. What is an extra seam or two to mud and tape?

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 02:13:58 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

I've never put my foot through (though have come close) but I did have a tub
leak (the moron builder put the gasket on the wrong side). Repairing drywall
is pretty easy, following just the above instructions (though "smitty" forgot
the screw part). It takes a little time for mere mortal homeowners, but it's
not difficult at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 12:09*am, mm wrote:
[...]

You have seriously never patched a piece of sheetrock before ?

You cut out the damaged sheetrock back to good sturdy stuff
which is undamaged...

You then use strapping 1x4 pieces at all the edges so that
you can create a good joint at the seam... These pieces of
strapping need not be attached to anything other than the
sheetrock...

You do not have to cut the sheet back to the center of the
nearest stud/joist/truss... You can support the patch with
the straps you install to manage the seams...

Mud and tape the joints, sand, repeat as needed...
Texture to match the rest of the ceiling... Prime and paint...

It isn't rocket science...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 12:09*am, mm wrote:
[...]

You Google "How do I repair ceiling sheetrock damage?"