Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Sheetrock repair question

"Zootal" wrote in message
. 97.131...
I had to cut an 18x18 hole in the wall to repair the plumbing (@#$% plastic
pipe anyhow...).

Now I have the challenge of repairing the hole. I can use some 2x2s or
2x4s
to build a frame around the hole to attach the sheet rock to, and while a
bit of work it's not too bad and will work. Are there any other ways to
put
a big chunk of sheetrock back in place that would be less work? Clips to
hold in in place, etc.?

I would fix it by the following method:

Cut two 1x3's or 4's two inches longer than the hole. Slide them in the
hole, first upward until it all goes in then downward until the one by is
inside the hole. Fasten along one edge with drywall screws through the
drywall, leaving half the width of the one by inside the drywall, and half
showing in the hole. Put the other one in the same way. Cut a patch to
fit, or just reinstall the piece you cut out, and screw it to the two one
by's. Patch with some tape, mud, let dry, repeat, until acceptable visibly,
then retexture. The one bys will hold it solid, and you can even put them
on all four side on a hole that big so it doesn't crack.

Steve