Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Sheetrock question

I am renovating a bathroom and my otherwise excellent carpenter and I have a
disagreement. A bunch of sheetrock had to be replaced. Most will be
covered with Corian after it is mud up and sanded. After looking at his
sheetrock job, I see that many if not most screws pierced the paper. I
called this to his attention and he said he does it on purpose to get a
better finishing job. I told him that the paper is not supposed to be
pierced but he strongly disagreed. I believe that the paper is needed to
hold the sheetrock strongly to the studs and prevent nail pops. I was once
told by a sheetrock guy that loose paper was a big cause of nail pops. In
any case, most of the sheetrock will be covered with Corian attached by
silicone glue so I can probably let this go but I wanted to get other
opinions. This isn't really a money argument. He did something very smart
on another part of the job saving me tons of money so if I decided to make
him re-do it I will pay him for the time and sheetrock. Just want it done
right. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 8:05*pm, "Art" wrote:
[...]

All the sheetrock jobs I've done has the nail or screw slightly
embedded into the sheetrock for a better mud job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:
[...]

The screw is supposed to dimple the paper, but not go through it. It
takes a well calibrated clutch on the screw shooter, and enough practice
to know when to let off the trigger, and how hard to lean. (I'm not very
good at it.) If they oversink one, they are supposed to back it out or
drive it deeper, and put another one an inch away. Yes, that ragged
paper edge has a nasty habit of coming up through the mud. On a wall
that vibrates a lot, the screw in the white layer won't hold as well as
the one that has paper under it. One or two isn't a big deal, but if he
did all of them that way, somebody taught him wrong. Why are you
bothering to mud under the Corian? Hope you at least used greenboard.
These days, I'd be tempted to use the non-paper-skinned rock, in a wet
room, to avoid mold.

--
aem sends..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2009 5:05 PM Art spake thus:

I am renovating a bathroom and my otherwise excellent carpenter and I have a
disagreement. A bunch of sheetrock had to be replaced. Most will be
covered with Corian after it is mud up and sanded. After looking at his
sheetrock job, I see that many if not most screws pierced the paper. I
called this to his attention and he said he does it on purpose to get a
better finishing job. I told him that the paper is not supposed to be
pierced but he strongly disagreed. I believe that the paper is needed to
hold the sheetrock strongly to the studs and prevent nail pops. I was once
told by a sheetrock guy that loose paper was a big cause of nail pops.

From the horse's mouth:

Space screws maximum of 12" apart on ceilings, 16" on walls and at
least 3/8" from ends and edges of panels. Sink screws to just below
the panel surface, leaving the paper intact.

(javascriptdf_popUp('/USG_Marketing_Content/usg.com/web_files/Documents/Installation_and_Appl_Guides/Shtrkgypsum_panel_and_joint_treatment-installation_guide.pdf','Sheetrock
Gypsum Panel and Joint Treatment Installation Guide J371') from the USG
website.)

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Art wrote:
[...]

What are non-paper-skinned rock? Care to share a link?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Art wrote:
[...]

We actually used a new purple water resistant board that is supposed to be
mold resistent thru out and not just the paper. The claims for this board
and the claims for the new paper free board appeared to be identical. As
for mudding behind the corrian, Corrian installer said most contractors mud
it... probably to adjust level and squareness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
m...
better finishing job. I told him that the paper is not supposed to be
pierced but he strongly disagreed. I believe that the paper is needed to
hold the sheetrock strongly to the studs and prevent nail pops. I was
once

Didn't he use -screws-? How are screws going to pop out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2009 5:57 PM Bob M. spake thus:

"Art" wrote in message
m...

better finishing job. I told him that the paper is not supposed to be
pierced but he strongly disagreed. I believe that the paper is needed to
hold the sheetrock strongly to the studs and prevent nail pops. I was
once

Didn't he use -screws-? How are screws going to pop out?

Hate to be the one to tell you this, but you ought to re-read the
original post.

And yes, screws can pop out as well. In fact, may be more likely with
screws than with nails.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that
doesn't work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is
"If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote:

What are non-paper-skinned rock? Care to share a link?

Also known as hardieboard or cement board.

http://www.jameshardie.com/builder/p...interior.shtml

There are other brands as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I think he is talking about a new non paper sheetrock like material that has
no cellulose. It is a different product than cement board.

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

What are non-paper-skinned rock? Care to share a link?

Also known as hardieboard or cement board.

http://www.jameshardie.com/builder/p...interior.shtml

There are other brands as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

If you pierce the paper, it is my understanding that it can cause 2
problems. The loose paper above the screw can let the mud above it pop out.
Nail pops are not necessarily a nail popping out. Loose paper can look the
same according to a sheetrock guy I used once in my previous home. Also if
a lot of the screws pierce the paper the sheetrock will hang loosely on the
stud and if someone leans against it the screwheads can push out the mud.

"Bob M." wrote in message
. ..
"Art" wrote in message
m...
better finishing job. I told him that the paper is not supposed to be
pierced but he strongly disagreed. I believe that the paper is needed to
hold the sheetrock strongly to the studs and prevent nail pops. I was
once

Didn't he use -screws-? How are screws going to pop out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
Art wrote:
[...]

Check your local Borg. The stuff around here is yellow. Some sort of
tyvek or fiberglass or something. On the pricey side, so probably only
indicated for damp areas. Don't know the proper name to tell you to
Google it. (After my last patching fiasco, I stay out of drywall aisle-
it just depresses me. I have lots of skills, but that ain't one of them.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 5:05*pm, "Art" wrote:
[...]

Don't ever use that guy again for anything!

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 2/8/2009 5:05 PM Art spake thus:

I am renovating a bathroom and my otherwise excellent carpenter and I
have a disagreement. A bunch of sheetrock had to be replaced. Most will
be covered with Corian after it is mud up and sanded. After looking at
his sheetrock job, I see that many if not most screws pierced the paper.
I called this to his attention and he said he does it on purpose to get a
better finishing job. I told him that the paper is not supposed to be
pierced but he strongly disagreed. I believe that the paper is needed to
hold the sheetrock strongly to the studs and prevent nail pops. I was
once told by a sheetrock guy that loose paper was a big cause of nail
pops.

From the horse's mouth:

Space screws maximum of 12" apart on ceilings, 16" on walls and at
least 3/8" from ends and edges of panels. Sink screws to just below
the panel surface, leaving the paper intact.

Ditto...To "get it RIGHT" you need to use a drywall screw gun set to the
PROPER depth and drive the screws STRAIGHT in and NOT cockeyed...DO NOT use
a cordless driver that MOST carpenters and homeowners TRY to use...It ALWAYS
creates problems with screw pops due to over driving screws....Dimple any
missed screw holes in by GENTLY tapping them with the handle of your drywall
knife..That is what the steel end cap at the bottom of the handle is
for........Good luck....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

What I absolutely can't do is get the texture coat right.

Ditto. I too am a very practical guy and although it may
take me a while I can complete most jobs to a fairly good
standard.

But... matching a knockdown texture just produces a
horrible mess every time. It's depressing.

And I'm sitting here with my tail between my legs
waiting for a pro to arrive in the next few minutes
to "rescue" my last attempt at same which SWMBO has
(quite correctly) declared unacceptable.

Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Don't feel bad Malcom...Matching somebody elses texture or swirl patterns
is a challange even for pros...I TRY to steer customers away from such stuff
as it is ALWAYS a pain to try to patch and match down the road..LOL..Good
luck....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
m...
[...]

It won't make a bit a difference, since he glued or PL'd the studs b/4
hanging. Uhhhhhh, that's providing he glued or PL'd the studs.

I wouldn't think about putting a covering such as Corian over _unglued_
rock, unless you like asking for trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 7:05*pm, "Art" wrote:
[...]

Just buy this guy some 50 cent "dimpling bits" at home depot and shoot
some more screws. The dimpling bits work great, they release the
screw just as it dimples the paper without tearing it. Or just shoot
more screws yourself while he is away. The paper should not be torn
to get the most strength. Also if it's a wet area you should be using
stainless steel screws anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

What are non-paper-skinned rock? Care to share a link?

Also known as hardieboard or cement board.

http://www.jameshardie.com/builder/p...interior.shtml

There are other brands as well.

No, this is something different- still a gypsum core, but a different
skin, so mold has nowhere to grow.

It has a fiberglass skin instead of paper. It costs a little more, but
doesn't give mildew anything to eat.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Question about sheetrock Estimate [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 27th 06 04:26 AM
Sheetrock qwert Home Repair 3 April 17th 06 06:30 AM
Sheetrock thickness question ???? Joey Home Repair 8 November 16th 05 01:29 AM
Sheetrock verses Paneling Question. TURTLE Home Repair 30 February 21st 05 12:24 AM
Sheetrock Taping Question x071907 Home Repair 4 May 6th 04 06:08 AM