Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Sheetrock question

MiamiCuse wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
Art wrote:
I am renovating a bathroom and my otherwise excellent carpenter and I
have a disagreement. A bunch of sheetrock had to be replaced. Most will
be covered with Corian after it is mud up and sanded. After looking at
his sheetrock job, I see that many if not most screws pierced the paper.
I called this to his attention and he said he does it on purpose to get a
better finishing job. I told him that the paper is not supposed to be
pierced but he strongly disagreed. I believe that the paper is needed to
hold the sheetrock strongly to the studs and prevent nail pops. I was
once told by a sheetrock guy that loose paper was a big cause of nail
pops. In any case, most of the sheetrock will be covered with Corian
attached by silicone glue so I can probably let this go but I wanted to
get other opinions. This isn't really a money argument. He did
something very smart on another part of the job saving me tons of money
so if I decided to make him re-do it I will pay him for the time and
sheetrock. Just want it done right. Thanks.

The screw is supposed to dimple the paper, but not go through it. It takes
a well calibrated clutch on the screw shooter, and enough practice to know
when to let off the trigger, and how hard to lean. (I'm not very good at
it.) If they oversink one, they are supposed to back it out or drive it
deeper, and put another one an inch away. Yes, that ragged paper edge has
a nasty habit of coming up through the mud. On a wall that vibrates a lot,
the screw in the white layer won't hold as well as the one that has paper
under it. One or two isn't a big deal, but if he did all of them that way,
somebody taught him wrong. Why are you bothering to mud under the Corian?
Hope you at least used greenboard. These days, I'd be tempted to use the
non-paper-skinned rock, in a wet room, to avoid mold.

--
aem sends..

What are non-paper-skinned rock? Care to share a link?

Thanks,

MC

Check your local Borg. The stuff around here is yellow. Some sort of
tyvek or fiberglass or something. On the pricey side, so probably only
indicated for damp areas. Don't know the proper name to tell you to
Google it. (After my last patching fiasco, I stay out of drywall aisle-
it just depresses me. I have lots of skills, but that ain't one of them.)

--
aem sends...