Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Sheetrock question

On Feb 8, 7:05*pm, "Art" wrote:
I am renovating a bathroom and my otherwise excellent carpenter and I have a
disagreement. *A bunch of sheetrock had to be replaced. *Most will be
covered with Corian after it is mud up and sanded. *After looking at his
sheetrock job, I see that many if not most screws pierced the paper. *I
called this to his attention and he said he does it on purpose to get a
better finishing job. *I told him that the paper is not supposed to be
pierced but he strongly disagreed. *I believe that the paper is needed to
hold the sheetrock strongly to the studs and prevent nail pops. *I was once
told by a sheetrock guy that loose paper was a big cause of nail pops. *In
any case, most of the sheetrock will be covered with Corian attached by
silicone glue so I can probably let this go but I wanted to get other
opinions. *This isn't really a money argument. *He did something very smart
on another part of the job saving me tons of money so if I decided to make
him re-do it I will pay him for the time and sheetrock. *Just want it done
right. *Thanks.

Just buy this guy some 50 cent "dimpling bits" at home depot and shoot
some more screws. The dimpling bits work great, they release the
screw just as it dimples the paper without tearing it. Or just shoot
more screws yourself while he is away. The paper should not be torn
to get the most strength. Also if it's a wet area you should be using
stainless steel screws anyway.