Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sheetrock question

On 2/8/2009 5:05 PM Art spake thus:

I am renovating a bathroom and my otherwise excellent carpenter and I have a
disagreement. A bunch of sheetrock had to be replaced. Most will be
covered with Corian after it is mud up and sanded. After looking at his
sheetrock job, I see that many if not most screws pierced the paper. I
called this to his attention and he said he does it on purpose to get a
better finishing job. I told him that the paper is not supposed to be
pierced but he strongly disagreed. I believe that the paper is needed to
hold the sheetrock strongly to the studs and prevent nail pops. I was once
told by a sheetrock guy that loose paper was a big cause of nail pops.

From the horse's mouth:

Space screws maximum of 12" apart on ceilings, 16" on walls and at
least 3/8" from ends and edges of panels. Sink screws to just below
the panel surface, leaving the paper intact.

(javascriptdf_popUp('/USG_Marketing_Content/usg.com/web_files/Documents/Installation_and_Appl_Guides/Shtrkgypsum_panel_and_joint_treatment-installation_guide.pdf','Sheetrock
Gypsum Panel and Joint Treatment Installation Guide J371') from the USG
website.)

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair