Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alcohol

I have found that alcohol is very good for cleaning "stuff".

I am going to go through my fishing reels and clean them. I like to put
them in a shallow tray with some alcohol, and brush them, and get the reel
oil and sand out of them. The alcohol evaporates, and is kind to most
plastic parts.

Now I'm confused. I went to get some, and there is isopropyl, rubbing, and
another type, IIRC.

What's the difference in alcohols, which ones should be avoided for
disturbing plastics, and what's the difference in rubbing alcohol and
isopropyl?

I used to know this stuff, but my brain got so full that in order to put
some new stuff in, it had to kick something else out, and I haven't found
the controller that decides what to kick out. Homer Simpson said the same
thing, but I said it a full year sooner than he, but never got the credit.

Thanks. Other reel cleaner suggestions appreciated, too.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are several types of alcohol on the market. Methyl. Ethyl.
Isopropyl. Might be a couple others, which I can't remember.

Rubbing alcohol is 70% alcohol, 30% water, and is great for killing
germs. It comes in ethyl or isopropyl.

Denatured alcohol is nearly 100% alcohol. The "denatured" means it's
ethyl drinking alcohol with enough poison that you don't want to drink
it. Automobile "dry gas" is typically one of the alcohols, and often
cheaper than the paint store denatured.

As for cleaning fishing reels. I havn't tried it, but I sense that a
pan of warm water, and a spray bottle of Simple Green is what I'd use.
Spray the simple green on the reel. Scrub with old tooth brush, rinse
in the warm water. I'd wash my fishing reels in the sink, over a
strainer in case I dropped a screw. Save me taking apart the drain
trap.

Far as I know, they should all be safe for plastics.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 11:20*am, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

I buy denatured by the gallon at Ace, its good for many types of
cleaning and doesnt harm plastics that ive used it on, and thats most
everthing, I use it in my gas in the winter or when ever I think my
gas is bad to remove water, I add it to windshield washer fluid in
winter so it doesnt freeze at 0 -20f. Its water soluable so diluting
it makes it a great additive to many cleaning products. Rubbing
alcohol is ok but you pay a premium and the additives can leave a film
on glass and some clear plastics. Buy it from a good store with
turnover, I bough a gallon at a small store that someone diluted with
water and the can was full of rust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Isopropyl alcohol is rubbing alcohol or the medical alcohol.
I make my own window cleaner with one cup of isopropyl alcohol, one cup
of water and one tablespoon of white vinegar. It's better than Windex
and good for your glasses too and many other things.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote the following:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Before Windex and the other commercial products came out, it was a mix
of white vinegar and water, and newspaper to do the wiping.
My mother also made her own kitchen soap using lye and fat. There may
have been other off-the-shelf ingredients, but I don't remember what
they may have been. This was during the war in the 1940s and I was a
pre-teen.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2010 9:20 AM Steve B spake thus:

What's the difference in alcohols, which ones should be avoided for
disturbing plastics, and what's the difference in rubbing alcohol and
isopropyl?

1. Isopropyl alcohol *is* rubbing alcohol. Generally not as strong as
denatured alcohol (see below). Besides, rubbing alcohol contains water
in different proportions, so not an ideal cleaner.

2. Generally speaking, no modern plastics are affected by any alcohols.
Some older plastics (like early Bakelite) I'm not sure about. In any
case, you can use alcohol around any plastics without fear of damage.

Denatured (methyl) alcohol is one of my cleaners/solvents of choice. One
of the few solvents that will remove sticky stuff like tree sap.
Evaporates almost immediately, leaving no residue. Great for things like
cleaning tape heads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:02:09 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 10/28/2010 9:20 AM Steve B spake thus:

What's the difference in alcohols, which ones should be avoided for
disturbing plastics, and what's the difference in rubbing alcohol and
isopropyl?

1. Isopropyl alcohol *is* rubbing alcohol. Generally not as strong as
denatured alcohol (see below). Besides, rubbing alcohol contains water
in different proportions, so not an ideal cleaner.

2. Generally speaking, no modern plastics are affected by any alcohols.
Some older plastics (like early Bakelite) I'm not sure about. In any
case, you can use alcohol around any plastics without fear of damage.

Denatured (methyl) alcohol is one of my cleaners/solvents of choice. One
of the few solvents that will remove sticky stuff like tree sap.
Evaporates almost immediately, leaving no residue. Great for things like
cleaning tape heads.

Denatured alcohol is ethyl alcohol with a "denaturant" added so it's not
drinkable. The denaturant is sometimes methyl alcohol, but it has a nasty
side effect of killing people so isn't used anymore, at least in the US.
Denaturants now in use induce vomiting so the ethanol isn't absorbed but isn't
toxic.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

Here's the real skinny on alcohols that are commercially available and
fairly pure. For straight methanol buy the fuel deicer, HEET, or
similar brands. For 95% ethanol buy Everkleer at your liquor store.
For cheaper ethanol buy denatured (mostly ethanol with methanol
poisoning) alcohol at your paint store. For nearly anhydrous isopropyl
alcohol buy ISOHEET at your auto supply store. For other alcohols see
a specialty solvent supplier, but the ones mentioned here should
suffice. If you need a powerful degreaser and are VERY careful with
it, get regular aerosol starter fluid at your auto supply store. It is
nearly pure ethyl ether, but may be more of a solvent than you need
for some things. As always, wear safety glasses and read the labels
first.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Denatured alcohol is typically 96% ethyl alcohol, and 4% methyl.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl"
wrote in message
.com...

Denatured (methyl) alcohol is one of my cleaners/solvents of choice.
One
of the few solvents that will remove sticky stuff like tree sap.
Evaporates almost immediately, leaving no residue. Great for things
like
cleaning tape heads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 8:53*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Denatured alcohol is typically 96% ethyl alcohol, and 4% methyl.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"David Nebenzahl"
wrote in mputers.com...

Denatured (methyl) alcohol is one of my cleaners/solvents of choice.
One
of the few solvents that will remove sticky stuff like tree sap.
Evaporates almost immediately, leaving no residue. Great for things
like
cleaning tape heads.

Trivial names have lot in ng confused. I suspect there is a good Wiki
article they could refer to.

I'm also reminded of old chemistry professor who said he used to
analyze alcohol for bootleggers during prohibition to make sure it was
safe to drink. He knew what he was doing was illegal but he said he
was saving people as there were more people with blindness in the
hospitals then there were pregnant women.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:20:38 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have found that alcohol is very good for cleaning "stuff".

I am going to go through my fishing reels and clean them. I like to put
them in a shallow tray with some alcohol, and brush them, and get the reel
oil and sand out of them. The alcohol evaporates, and is kind to most
plastic parts.

I have a lifetime collection of reels, near 25 of them. Mostly all
fresh water reels. WD40 was used to spray them down once they were
disassembled. Wiped with a cloth/cotton rag. Many are still stored
after cleaning and lube with a fine oil. I wrapped them up and stored
them.

I've never used alcohol for cleaning any of them. Like oiling a gun,
IMHO.

Many date to the '70s and cannot be found in the condition I have kept
them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 7:56*am, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:48:24 -0700 (PDT), Frank

wrote:
[...]

At the time of Prohibition, hospital deliveries of babies was not all
that common. It didn't really get popular until the 1940's.

Women were afraid to go to hospital for delivery; they preferred
midwives who were experienced and CLEAN. The rate of puerperal
(childbed) fever in hospitals deliveries was so horrendous in the late
19th and early 20th centuries, that hospital delivery was
statistically loaded against survival. Doctors (wearing dirty frock
coats) would come from straight from the autopsy room and stick their
UNWASHED hands inside a laboring woman . Hungarian physician Ignatz
Semmelweis, unsung hero to women, tried desperately and largely in
vain to get arrogant know-it-all doctors to WASH THEIR HANDS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What use is having something, if you can't find it?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

Many date to the '70s and cannot be found in the condition
I have kept them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I remember the story, he did succeed in commanding them to wash,
for a breif period of time. The mortality and health improved a lot,
but the doctors couldn't be troubled. They went back to the unwashed
practice after a very short time, and mortality took a hit, again.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Doctors (wearing dirty frock
coats) would come from straight from the autopsy room and stick their
UNWASHED hands inside a laboring woman . Hungarian physician Ignatz
Semmelweis, unsung hero to women, tried desperately and largely in
vain to get arrogant know-it-all doctors to WASH THEIR HANDS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have found that alcohol is very good for cleaning "stuff".

I am going to go through my fishing reels and clean them. I like to put
them in a shallow tray with some alcohol, and brush them, and get the reel
oil and sand out of them. The alcohol evaporates, and is kind to most
plastic parts.

I have a lifetime collection of reels, near 25 of them. Mostly all
fresh water reels. WD40 was used to spray them down once they were
disassembled. Wiped with a cloth/cotton rag. Many are still stored
after cleaning and lube with a fine oil. I wrapped them up and stored
them.

I've never used alcohol for cleaning any of them. Like oiling a gun,
IMHO.

Many date to the '70s and cannot be found in the condition I have kept
them.

Thank you, Oren. That sounds like a very plausible alternative. I am
finding a little time here and there, and it is time to take all my poles,
reels, and gear, and thoroughly go through it and get it ready for fishing.
I have always disassembled everything and checked it out once a year. The
WD thing sounds like it would be as easy as anything.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 17:29:43 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

In lieu of the old T-shirt / white cotton cloth rag, use a
"microfiber" cloth/ rag. No lint sticks in the bearings, etc.

Separate any parts, like old fiber disc brake pads and clean well.
Some old reels have soft brass bushings, just spray and clean. New
stainless bearings, just spray with WD40, wipe and set aside. I do one
reel at a time so I keep things in order.

Lube with reel oil, 3-N-1 oil, or sewing machine oil.

...Set the hook... Get the net...

alcohol 120 crack 1.9.6 [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 23rd 08 10:44 AM
Alcohol Soaking Wet Wood Fred Holder Woodturning 27 June 16th 06 12:02 PM
Alcohol Drying of Wet Wood Fred Holder Woodturning 31 May 19th 06 11:25 AM
Alcohol Drying Dave W Woodturning 20 January 9th 06 09:17 PM
Where to buy SD-Alcohol? PeteK UK diy 43 November 2nd 04 08:49 AM