Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Alcohol

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 17:29:43 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:20:38 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have found that alcohol is very good for cleaning "stuff".

I am going to go through my fishing reels and clean them. I like to put
them in a shallow tray with some alcohol, and brush them, and get the reel
oil and sand out of them. The alcohol evaporates, and is kind to most
plastic parts.

I have a lifetime collection of reels, near 25 of them. Mostly all
fresh water reels. WD40 was used to spray them down once they were
disassembled. Wiped with a cloth/cotton rag. Many are still stored
after cleaning and lube with a fine oil. I wrapped them up and stored
them.

I've never used alcohol for cleaning any of them. Like oiling a gun,
IMHO.

Many date to the '70s and cannot be found in the condition I have kept
them.

Thank you, Oren. That sounds like a very plausible alternative. I am
finding a little time here and there, and it is time to take all my poles,
reels, and gear, and thoroughly go through it and get it ready for fishing.
I have always disassembled everything and checked it out once a year. The
WD thing sounds like it would be as easy as anything.

Steve

In lieu of the old T-shirt / white cotton cloth rag, use a
"microfiber" cloth/ rag. No lint sticks in the bearings, etc.

Separate any parts, like old fiber disc brake pads and clean well.
Some old reels have soft brass bushings, just spray and clean. New
stainless bearings, just spray with WD40, wipe and set aside. I do one
reel at a time so I keep things in order.

Lube with reel oil, 3-N-1 oil, or sewing machine oil.

...Set the hook... Get the net...