PeteK

Default Where to buy SD-Alcohol?

Anyone know where alcohol can be sources for use as a solvent (SD-Alcohol)?

The Natural Philosopher

PeteK wrote:

Anyone know where alcohol can be sources for use as a solvent (SD-Alcohol)?

Methylated spirt or surgical spirit, if its ethanol you are after.
Grunff

PeteK wrote:
Anyone know where alcohol can be sources for use as a solvent (SD-Alcohol)?

As a trained research chemist, I can honestly say I've never heard the
term SD-Alcohol. What is it?

--
Grunff
PeteK

"Grunff" wrote in message
PeteK wrote:
Anyone know where alcohol can be sources for use as a solvent
(SD-Alcohol)?

As a trained research chemist, I can honestly say I've never heard the
term SD-Alcohol. What is it?

I think I have solved this myself using google.

The Braun Shaver has a charge and clean cartridge, which cleans the shaver
whilst on the stand.

Due to the design the solution is used up through evaporation rather than
use through cleaning (i.e when you clean it circulates through the shaver
head and back to the container but evaporates all the time). No doubt this
is to ensure further sales of replacement cartridges which are about £5.00
each

The cartridge says that is contains SD-Alcohol 40-B. Apparently according to
goodle is 40% Alcohol/Ethanol. Specially Denatured means it is made
unpalatable to drink.

According to Google the DIY solution is

100ml Metholated Spirits (which is supposedly 96% ethanol)
Few drops of 100% Lemon Essential Oil
Top up with water.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:00:27 GMT, "PeteK"
wrote:

The cartridge says that is contains SD-Alcohol 40-B. Apparently according to
goodle is 40% Alcohol/Ethanol. Specially Denatured means it is made
unpalatable to drink.

Use "surgical spirit", which you can get from any chemist, I buy mine
in litre bottles from a farm shop, because it's much cheaper.

Don't use methylated spirit. The foul smell is pyridine, which isn't
a good thinng to soak a razor in. Some people are more sensitive than
others.

Another favourite soak for razors is benzalkonium chloride. It may
blunt a straight ("cutthroat") razor though.

--
Smert' spamionam

Grunff

Andy Dingley wrote:

Use "surgical spirit", which you can get from any chemist, I buy mine
in litre bottles from a farm shop, because it's much cheaper.

Don't use methylated spirit. The foul smell is pyridine, which isn't
a good thinng to soak a razor in. Some people are more sensitive than
others.

Pyridine is very nasty, and can cause sensitisation. I worked in a lab
where it was used routinely for a year or so, and it now makes me feel
quite ill when I smell it.

--
Grunff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
The cartridge says that is contains SD-Alcohol 40-B. Apparently according to
goodle is 40% Alcohol/Ethanol. Specially Denatured means it is made
unpalatable to drink.

Use "surgical spirit", which you can get from any chemist, I buy mine
in litre bottles from a farm shop, because it's much cheaper.

Don't use methylated spirit. The foul smell is pyridine, which isn't
a good thinng to soak a razor in. Some people are more sensitive than
others.

Another favourite soak for razors is benzalkonium chloride. It may
blunt a straight ("cutthroat") razor though.

Since it's an electric razor, are these both safe on plastic?

I've got a Philips one. You simply rinse it under the hot tap. Brilliant.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Stanton

Pyridine is very nasty, and can cause sensitisation. I worked in a lab
where it was used routinely for a year or so, and it now makes me feel
quite ill when I smell it.

I worked with it in a lab over 30 years ago and can still recall the smell.

Dave

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Are these little quips of U.S. origin?

They come from all over.

I could see two meanings for this one.

- U.S. milk cartons often have pictures of missing persons with a
message asking for help to find them..

That's the obvious one.

- The more obvious bovine connection.

Just curious....

Your guess is as good as mine. Unless you think I wrote them all. ;-)

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Grunff

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

The clue was in the word 'Solvent'...

Not at all. You can buy many, many solvents, most of them far more
harmful than ethanol, without signing anything:

Meths (ethanol + various impurities)
Isopropanol
Ethyl acetate (cellulose thinner)
Lighter gas (butane)

The list goes on.

--
Grunff
:::Jerry::::

"Grunff" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

The clue was in the word 'Solvent'...

Not at all. You can buy many, many solvents, most of them far more
harmful than ethanol, without signing anything:

snip

But at the time of positing my original remarks neither the OP nor anyone
who had then replied knew what the 'solvent' was - or exactly what the stuff
was...

Hindsight is wonderful after the answer is known....

Owain

"Grunff" wrote
| The clue was in the word 'Solvent'...
| Not at all. You can buy many, many solvents, most of them
| far more harmful than ethanol, without signing anything:

I have a large tank of solvent (H2O) in the kitchen.

Owain

Grunff

Owain wrote:

I have a large tank of solvent (H2O) in the kitchen.

Don't be cheeky. We all know we're talking about organic solvents.

--
Grunff
Rod Hewitt

Grunff wrote in :

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

The clue was in the word 'Solvent'...

Not at all. You can buy many, many solvents, most of them far more
harmful than ethanol, without signing anything:

Meths (ethanol + various impurities)

But time was that you would have to sign the poisons book when buying meths
- at least in Scotland. Within my memory! I don't know about the other
solvents.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

raden

In message , ":::Jerry::::"
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

The clue was in the word 'Solvent'...

Not at all. You can buy many, many solvents, most of them far more
harmful than ethanol, without signing anything:

snip

But at the time of positing my original remarks neither the OP nor anyone
who had then replied knew what the 'solvent' was

The clue was in the word "alcohol"

As for the rest, it sounds like make it mystical, make it special

--
geoff
raden

In message , Owain
writes
"Grunff" wrote
| The clue was in the word 'Solvent'...
| Not at all. You can buy many, many solvents, most of them
| far more harmful than ethanol, without signing anything:

I have a large tank of solvent (H2O) in the kitchen.

You shouldn't have posted that, now "they" know
--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
******** ...

I buy litres if the stuff, as can anyone else, it's freely available

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third degree.
Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle - he wouldn't sell me any
more. Could have got it mail order easily.

Perhaps I should have put the tin of Tennant's Extra away before speaking
to him.

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
raden wrote:
******** ...

I buy litres if the stuff, as can anyone else, it's freely available

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third degree.

That's because you look shifty

Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle -

Umbrella and slice of lemon ?

--
geoff
Grunff

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third degree.
Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle - he wouldn't sell me any
more. Could have got it mail order easily.

I buy isopropanol from a lab supplier. I order by phone, pay by credit
card, and they've never, ever asked me any questions at all. And it's
very cheap - £7 per winchester (2.5 litres) if you buy 4 at once.

--
Grunff

raden

In message , Grunff
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third degree.
Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle - he wouldn't sell me any
more. Could have got it mail order easily.

I buy isopropanol from a lab supplier. I order by phone, pay by credit
card, and they've never, ever asked me any questions at all. And it's
very cheap - £7 per winchester (2.5 litres) if you buy 4 at once.

I buy it from CPC through lazyness - more expensive

Where do you get it from ?

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third
degree.

That's because you look shifty

I'm glad you were careful with the spelling.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Grunff

raden wrote:

Where do you get it from ?

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you...

Oh, what the hell:
Rathburn Chemicals (Mfg) Ltd
6, Caberston Rd, Walkerburn, Peeblesshire EH43 6AU
Tel: 01896 870329

--
Grunff
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:50:07 GMT, raden wrote:

I buy litres if the stuff, as can anyone else, it's freely available

I can't buy alcohol. I'd love to know a source (preferably Bristol)
for some source of high-proof ethanol (even just "Everclear") which is
undyed, unstenched with pyridine and is less than 50% methanol.

At the moment I'm using some scrounged from a commercial lab. I didn't
have to deal with paperwork, but I know they had to.

Grunff

Andy Dingley wrote:

I can't buy alcohol. I'd love to know a source (preferably Bristol)
for some source of high-proof ethanol (even just "Everclear") which is
undyed, unstenched with pyridine and is less than 50% methanol.

Ethanol is difficult because of duty. If you're prepared to pay, then
these guys will sell you very clean ethanol:

Rathburn Chemicals (Mfg) Ltd
6, Caberston Rd, Walkerburn, Peeblesshire EH43 6AU
Tel: 01896 870329

--
Grunff

:::Jerry::::

"raden" wrote in message
In message , ":::Jerry::::"
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

The clue was in the word 'Solvent'...

Not at all. You can buy many, many solvents, most of them far more
harmful than ethanol, without signing anything:

snip

But at the time of positing my original remarks neither the OP nor anyone
who had then replied knew what the 'solvent' was

The clue was in the word "alcohol"

As for the rest, it sounds like make it mystical, make it special

NO, the clue was in the word 'solvent'. Get a sodding clue.

:::Jerry::::

raden wrote:
******** ...

I buy litres if the stuff, as can anyone else, it's freely available

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third

degree.

That's because you look shifty

Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle -

Umbrella and slice of lemon ?

The only lemon around here is you....

:::Jerry::::

"Grunff" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third

degree.
Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle - he wouldn't sell me

any
more. Could have got it mail order easily.

I buy isopropanol from a lab supplier. I order by phone, pay by credit
card, and they've never, ever asked me any questions at all. And it's
very cheap - £7 per winchester (2.5 litres) if you buy 4 at once.

An address and a traceable credit card....

The Natural Philosopher

Grunff wrote:

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

The clue was in the word 'Solvent'...

Not at all. You can buy many, many solvents, most of them far more
harmful than ethanol, without signing anything:

Meths (ethanol + various impurities)
Isopropanol
Ethyl acetate (cellulose thinner)
Lighter gas (butane)

Acetone
Methyl Methacrylate
Nitomethane
Petrol
Kerosene
Water (good general purpse solvent, and cheap)
Not sure if you still can, but various chlorinated hydrocarbons as used
in eg cleaning fluids. Like carbon tetrachloride. And trichloro-ethane?
Ether, in cold start sprays for diesels.

Ive go at least 60% of teh totality of te above in one form or another
somewhere.

The list goes on.

The Natural Philosopher

Grunff wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third
degree.
Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle - he wouldn't sell me any
more. Could have got it mail order easily.

I buy isopropanol from a lab supplier. I order by phone, pay by credit
card, and they've never, ever asked me any questions at all. And it's
very cheap - £7 per winchester (2.5 litres) if you buy 4 at once.

Do you know where I can get acetone in similar quantities?

Its the one thing that dissolves Cyanoacrylate, apart from Nitromethane,
which is very hard to get and expensive.

Grunff

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Do you know where I can get acetone in similar quantities?

Same place (Rathburn) sell acetone. I bought two winchesters last time,
about £10 each.

--
Grunff
John Rumm

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its the one thing that dissolves Cyanoacrylate, apart from Nitromethane,
which is very hard to get and expensive.

Nitro is easy enough to get, but kin expensive as you say;

http://www.modeltechnics.co.uk/

--
Cheers,

John.

Owain

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
| Acetone
| Methyl Methacrylate
| Nitomethane
| Petrol
| Kerosene
| Water (good general purpse solvent, and cheap)
| Not sure if you still can, but various chlorinated hydrocarbons
| as used in eg cleaning fluids. Like carbon tetrachloride. And
| trichloro-ethane? Ether, in cold start sprays for diesels.
| Ive go at least 60% of teh totality of te above in one form or
| another somewhere.

Everyone round to TNP's for cocktail hour...

Owain

raden

In message , ":::Jerry::::"
writes

The clue was in the word 'Solvent'...

Not at all. You can buy many, many solvents, most of them far more
harmful than ethanol, without signing anything:

snip

But at the time of positing my original remarks neither the OP nor anyone
who had then replied knew what the 'solvent' was

The clue was in the word "alcohol"

As for the rest, it sounds like make it mystical, make it special

NO, the clue was in the word 'solvent'. Get a sodding clue.

You're the one who seems to think there's a problem.

I buy the stuff, I buy it regularly, I don't have problems. This would
indicate to me that I'm the one who does have a clue.

--
geoff
raden

In message , ":::Jerry::::"
writes

raden wrote:
******** ...

I buy litres if the stuff, as can anyone else, it's freely available

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third

degree.

That's because you look shifty

Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle -

Umbrella and slice of lemon ?

The only lemon around here is you....

Jinnintonix all round

Jerry Can buy

--
geoff

raden

In message , Grunff
writes
raden wrote:

Where do you get it from ?

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you...

Oh, what the hell:
Rathburn Chemicals (Mfg) Ltd
6, Caberston Rd, Walkerburn, Peeblesshire EH43 6AU
Tel: 01896 870329

Cheers - that's Xmas organised

--
geoff
raden

In message , ":::Jerry::::"
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third

degree.
Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle - he wouldn't sell me

any
more. Could have got it mail order easily.

I buy isopropanol from a lab supplier. I order by phone, pay by credit
card, and they've never, ever asked me any questions at all. And it's
very cheap - £7 per winchester (2.5 litres) if you buy 4 at once.

An address and a traceable credit card....

If that's what's required to prevent you getting your hands on the
stuff, then it's prolly OK

--
geoff
EricP

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:11:28 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , ":::Jerry::::"
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third

degree.
Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle - he wouldn't sell me

any
more. Could have got it mail order easily.

I buy isopropanol from a lab supplier. I order by phone, pay by credit
card, and they've never, ever asked me any questions at all. And it's
very cheap - £7 per winchester (2.5 litres) if you buy 4 at once.

An address and a traceable credit card....

If that's what's required to prevent you getting your hands on the
stuff, then it's prolly OK

What's dodgy about it, my local chemist orders it specially for me?

:::Jerry::::

"raden" wrote in message
In message , ":::Jerry::::"
writes

The clue was in the word 'Solvent'...

Not at all. You can buy many, many solvents, most of them far more
harmful than ethanol, without signing anything:

snip

But at the time of positing my original remarks neither the OP nor

anyone
who had then replied knew what the 'solvent' was

The clue was in the word "alcohol"

As for the rest, it sounds like make it mystical, make it special

NO, the clue was in the word 'solvent'. Get a sodding clue.

You're the one who seems to think there's a problem.
snip

No, you have the problem, first off you try and tell me what I was thinking
about when I typed the reply ! Then, even though *you* might buy 'solvents'
without problems other people might not especially if 'young'.

raden

In message , EricP
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I went to a local chemist to get some IPA. Got virtually the third
degree.
Ended up with about a 1/4 of a 1/2 litre bottle - he wouldn't sell me
any
more. Could have got it mail order easily.

I buy isopropanol from a lab supplier. I order by phone, pay by credit
card, and they've never, ever asked me any questions at all. And it's
very cheap - £7 per winchester (2.5 litres) if you buy 4 at once.

An address and a traceable credit card....

If that's what's required to prevent you getting your hands on the
stuff, then it's prolly OK

What's dodgy about it, my local chemist orders it specially for me?

Have you actually been following the thread?

--
geoff