Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alcohol

On 10/28/2010 9:20 AM Steve B spake thus:

I have found that alcohol is very good for cleaning "stuff".

I am going to go through my fishing reels and clean them. I like to put
them in a shallow tray with some alcohol, and brush them, and get the reel
oil and sand out of them. The alcohol evaporates, and is kind to most
plastic parts.

Now I'm confused. I went to get some, and there is isopropyl, rubbing, and
another type, IIRC.

What's the difference in alcohols, which ones should be avoided for
disturbing plastics, and what's the difference in rubbing alcohol and
isopropyl?

1. Isopropyl alcohol *is* rubbing alcohol. Generally not as strong as
denatured alcohol (see below). Besides, rubbing alcohol contains water
in different proportions, so not an ideal cleaner.

2. Generally speaking, no modern plastics are affected by any alcohols.
Some older plastics (like early Bakelite) I'm not sure about. In any
case, you can use alcohol around any plastics without fear of damage.

Denatured (methyl) alcohol is one of my cleaners/solvents of choice. One
of the few solvents that will remove sticky stuff like tree sap.
Evaporates almost immediately, leaving no residue. Great for things like
cleaning tape heads.