Posted to alt.home.repair

Default This is going to be expensive

This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Mike wrote:

This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

I assume this is city water. If you get a water bill I'd notify those
folks first and say you have a in ground leak .

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:49:30 -0700 (PDT), Mike
wrote:

This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

That could just be ground water getting in around the pipe.
I had a similar leak around a pipe in my house along with some leaks
from foundation cracks.
Had US Waterproofing seal it all up.
They injected something into the cracks and chiseled out and replaced
the old hydraulic cement around the pipe.
Suggest you get one of the waterproofing outfits to look at it.
Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred for one leak like that.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think it is possible to test to see if it is city water. You can watch
the water meter overnight to check for water leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote the following:
This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

It could be if the pipe itself is leaking.
Have a lot of rain lately? Maybe some UGL hydraulic cement can fix the
ground leak.
That has been leaking for a while. See the effluent (white powdery
stain) around the hole and down the sides of the rust trail..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

Mike wrote the following:
[...]

Hey Bill,
Your brain just farted funny.g I'll bet you were going for
efflorescence.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 3:49*pm, Mike wrote:
This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. *Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

Maybe ground water, has it rained lately. There are clamps that work
to stop leaks on water pipes, so I would think how cheaply I could do
it, but anyone you get out wont be motivated to save your money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. Dreading the call to the plumber.

Is that plastic pipe coming in? If not, metal in contact with concrete corrodes
and then leaks.

If it is PVC coming in, it looks like a male Copper threaded into a female PVC,
which I do not believe meets code these days. The Female PVC tends to split,
unless it is the kind of fitting with a rubber gasket to avoid the need to over
tighten.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2010 4:02 PM, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

I assume this is city water. If you get a water bill I'd notify those
folks first and say you have a in ground leak .

If it's on his side of the meter, they're not gonna care.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes
in. http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe
and a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news.
I assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a
slow leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now
that the grass is always a little greener near the house where this
pipe runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

I assume this is city water. If you get a water bill I'd notify
those folks first and say you have a in ground leak .

Sometimes, they'll give you a break on the sewage side of the bill.

If it's on his side of the meter, they're not gonna care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 6:49*pm, Mike wrote:
This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. *Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

Firstly determine if it is City water. You can do this with a chlorine
test kit. If it is not then go ahead and seal it up. If it is I would
call the plumber. It could be a leak a lot further out then you are
seeing. The water sometimes will follow the path of the pipe.

-Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 6:30*pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 21, 3:49*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply. It hasn't rained in Georgia in weeks
unfortunately, so I'm pretty sure this water is coming from the
pipe.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 6:44*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

Hi Bob. It IS is plastic elbow pipe coming out of the wall, then
copper. I'd have to guess it was built that way (in about 1978).

Perhaps I'll get a shovel and start digging to see what I can find.
Someone else commented, though, that the leak might be well away from
the house and the leaking water might simply follow the pipe.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

* *wrote:

This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes
in.http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe
and a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news.
I assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a
slow leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now
that the grass is always a little greener near the house where this
pipe runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. *Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

* I assume this is city water. *If you get a water bill I'd *notify
those folks first and say you have a in ground leak .

Sometimes, they'll give you a break on the sewage side of the bill.

Good point. The sewage side of the water bill is always higher than I
think it should be. Perhaps a call might save me a few bucks.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 6:11*pm, willshak wrote:
Mike wrote the following:

[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply, Bill. No rain in this area for weeks. Which is
why I started feeling ill when I saw the small puddle of water on the
floor.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. *Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

Might be tens of thousands of dollars, but so what. *You're loaded.
You got lots of money. *Just call the plumber, and hand him your
wallet and credit cards.

I agree with suggestion to figure otu what it is first. A clorine
test and checking the meter. Unfortunately not all meters records
very slow flows. But it's a place to start. You checked the joint
from the incoming pipe to the copper and made sure that is dry? As
another poster mentioned, female pvc/cpvc develops leaks over time.
It's best to always have the metal half of such a combination be the
female side. When I have no choice I use sch 80 female fittings, they
are much stronger.

You didn't mention where you are or how far down the pipe is. If your
yard has to be dug up the only thing I know that can save you money it
to do the digging yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

to do the digging yourself.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the post, James. It has been very dry here in metro
Atlanta for the past couple months, so I'm almost certain it's from
the pipe.

The pipe is about 3' underground, which would make digging it myself a
possibility. However as Dave mentioned, the leak could be well away
from the house. Perhaps I'll dig next to the house to see what I
find. Might save some money that way.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

The pressure in my house has been low for many years. Galvanized pipe
installed back when was closing up.
I had a local contractor do a replacement for $800.00, I know this was a
good price,
however I am also certain it depends on your location and how busy
local plumbers are. He had his own little machine to dig the trench
My run was approx. 40 feet and 4-6 feet down.
Check in your area, talk to local plumbing supply shops for references..etc

"Mike" wrote in message
This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
On Oct 21, 6:44 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

The last time I did this, the galvanized pipe twisted to pieces gettting it out
of the wall. It looked rusted, but no leaks anywhere but where the pipe went
through the concrete.

Digging outside is the obvious first thing to do. You may just need to replace
the section of pipe through the wall, which should be an easy task with PVC.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

* *wrote:

This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes
in.http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe
and a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news.
I assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a
slow leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now
that the grass is always a little greener near the house where this
pipe runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. *Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

* I assume this is city water. *If you get a water bill I'd *notify
those folks first and say you have a in ground leak .

Sometimes, they'll give you a break on the sewage side of the bill.

Not where I live. I've had a leak on their side of the meter twice,
and they said if it was on my side of the meter they wouldn't touch
it.

It's not their job. Their job is to fix city/county problems, period.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:14:17 -0700, Ron wrote:

[snip]

Not where I live. I've had a leak on their side of the meter twice, and
they said if it was on my side of the meter they wouldn't touch it.

It's not their job. Their job is to fix city/county problems, period.

I had a leak around my water meter once. I called the city and they said
it was on my side and they wouldn't do anything.

I didn't know I had a water shufoff valve until it leaked.

--
63 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Any slogan simple enough to fit in a .sig is too simple to do any
good."