Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why are tap connectors so expensive?

Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".

Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.

Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.

Bearing in mind a 15mm compression elbow is £0:69, £0:75 respectively and I
dont see a great difference in manufacturing cost.

In fact you can buy a flexible 15mm x ½" x 300mm tap connector for £:99 from
Screwfix.

Whats the deal here?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman wrote
Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".

Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.

Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.

Bearing in mind a 15mm compression elbow is £0:69, £0:75 respectively and I
dont see a great difference in manufacturing cost.

In fact you can buy a flexible 15mm x ½" x 300mm tap connector for £:99 from
Screwfix.

Whats the deal here?

sales ratio 10000:1 elbows:tapconnector

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-10 22:31:35 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".

Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.

Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.

Bearing in mind a 15mm compression elbow is £0:69, £0:75 respectively and I
dont see a great difference in manufacturing cost.

In fact you can buy a flexible 15mm x ½" x 300mm tap connector for £:99 from
Screwfix.

Whats the deal here?

Because they are priced at a point that people are willing to pay
because it reduces installation time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".

Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.

Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.

BES part 17643: 93p+VAT

Whats the deal here?

Neither of yours are plumbers merchants.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article The Medway
Handyman wrote:

Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".

Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.

Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.

£3.19 ?????

Srewfix 18511, Tap Connector Compression Fit 15mm x 1/2" - £1.39 inc. VAT.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message 47363905@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2007-11-10 22:31:35 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".
Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.
Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.
Bearing in mind a 15mm compression elbow is £0:69, £0:75
respectively and I
dont see a great difference in manufacturing cost.
In fact you can buy a flexible 15mm x ½" x 300mm tap connector for
£:99 from
Screwfix.
Whats the deal here?

Because they are priced at a point that people are willing to pay
because it reduces installation time.

10 x 15mm push fit elbows around £6 at the local Trade Depot, exactly
the same elbows around £24 at the local Homebase, astonishing
difference.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov, 22:31, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".

Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.

Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.

Bearing in mind a 15mm compression elbow is £0:69, £0:75 respectively and I
dont see a great difference in manufacturing cost.

In fact you can buy a flexible 15mm x ½" x 300mm tap connector for £:99 from
Screwfix.

Whats the deal here?

I was an agent for a company that sold the flexible tap connectors to
B&Q Etc and the price to them was, wait for it? £0.31. The current
price of a 15 x 1/2" x 300long is about 78p to the trade. They are
ripping everyone off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".

Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.

Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.

Bearing in mind a 15mm compression elbow is £0:69, £0:75 respectively

and I
dont see a great difference in manufacturing cost.

In fact you can buy a flexible 15mm x ½" x 300mm tap connector for £:

99 from
Screwfix.

Whats the deal here?

I was an agent for a company that sold the flexible tap connectors to
B&Q Etc and the price to them was, wait for it? £0.31. The current
price of a 15 x 1/2" x 300long is about 78p to the trade. They are
ripping everyone off.

No they are not ripping everyone off, they are making a sensible margin
on sale considering their overheads.

The discussion here is about £2.50 even at the highest retail price.

It costs more than that to visit the store and considerably more if one
considers the time saved or not.

If you don't want to buy the fitting then don't, but don't whinge about
the pricing because you weren't able to secur a better selling price
for your company. That reflects on your ability to establish value,
not the ability of the channel to sell the product

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".

Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.

Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.

Bearing in mind a 15mm compression elbow is £0:69, £0:75 respectively

and I
dont see a great difference in manufacturing cost.

In fact you can buy a flexible 15mm x ½" x 300mm tap connector for £:

99 from
Screwfix.

Whats the deal here?

No they are not ripping everyone off, they are making a sensible margin
on sale considering their overheads.

B&Q were buying Chinese Hoses at £.31 and selling them for £4.50 at
one time. I suppose you are right. A profit on cost of 1351% is a
sensible margin! You must be a Plumbers Merchant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:27:59 -0800, Merryterry
wrote:

B&Q were buying Chinese Hoses at £.31 and selling them for £4.50 at
one time. I suppose you are right. A profit on cost of 1351% is a
sensible margin!

They were selling them for what people were prepared to pay. What B&Q
paid for them wholesale is irrelevant.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".

Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.

Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.

Bearing in mind a 15mm compression elbow is £0:69, £0:75 respectiv

ely
and I
dont see a great difference in manufacturing cost.

In fact you can buy a flexible 15mm x ½" x 300mm tap connector for

£:
99 from
Screwfix.

Whats the deal here?

No they are not ripping everyone off, they are making a sensible margin
on sale considering their overheads.

B&Q were buying Chinese Hoses at £.31 and selling them for £4.50 at
one time. I suppose you are right. A profit on cost of 1351% is a
sensible margin! You must be a Plumbers Merchant.

It's really simple.

Do you want the bloody thing or not?

If you make up the connection from bits (cost X) plus time (cost Y), if
that costs more than the hose (cost Z) it makes sense to buy Z.

It's completely irrelevant what Z cost to make. If you don't want
it, don't buy it.

In a better market, I would suggest buying Kingfisher shares and
recouping that way. However, for the moment the story is a saving of
time and of convenience. That is what DIY stores are all about
anyway. The purpose is not lowest price but lowest *economic* price.

The two are not the same. If you want "cheap" then buy "cheap" but
expect to spend a lot more in terms of time. If you don't cost your
time then it doesn't matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Compression tap connector 15mm x 1/2".

Bought one in TP t'other day £4:05.

Screwfix want £3:19, same & Wickes.

Bearing in mind a 15mm compression elbow is £0:69, £0:75 respectively
and I
dont see a great difference in manufacturing cost.

In fact you can buy a flexible 15mm x ½" x 300mm tap connector for £:
99 from
Screwfix.

Whats the deal here?

No they are not ripping everyone off, they are making a sensible margin
on sale considering their overheads.

B&Q were buying Chinese Hoses at £.31 and selling them for £4.50 at
one time. I suppose you are right. A profit on cost of 1351% is a
sensible margin! You must be a Plumbers Merchant.

It does not take very much thought to realise that the person who puts the
hose on display at B&Q is probably paid rather more for (even
at minimum wage) than the person who assembled it in China.

I have no idea how B&Q manages its cash flow, but the 1/3 rule is probably
not far off. 1/3 for the goods, 1/3 for the staff and 1/3 for the
buildings.

Plumbing and electrical fittings are high margin items for the store
because people are prepared to pay the price they ask. Why?

1) They don't want to take time off their paid work to visit another
cheaper store when they are open.
2) They are not 100% sure of what they want so seeing all the products on
display helps.
3) They don't have enough to order in one go to spread out the delivery
cost of using internet/mail ordering.
4) They are likely to be doing a job that will cost a great deal more to
have done professionally.

B&Q is open on a Sunday and evenings, overheads which real PMs don't have.

If you're like me and don't want to pay B&Q prices then you'll order from
Screwfix (same group as B&Q!) and pay lower prices (but you need to be
buying £50 at a time). Or I'll buy a flexible from a real merchant when I
buy other things. That way the extra time and travel is tiny provided I
really needed to visit the merchant.

Quoting the ratio between the selling and (bulk) buying price looks
extreme. However I suspect that if you wanted to get at the 31p flexible
hoses you'll find that you can only get them per container load and
the buyer collects from the docks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:33:22 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

Quoting the ratio between the selling and (bulk) buying price looks
extreme. However I suspect that if you wanted to get at the 31p flexible
hoses you'll find that you can only get them per container load and
the buyer collects from the docks.

Whcih could well be *their dock* (IE Loading bay) in Ching Chong Sheng
Zhong-Flywheel*-Zhaou.

*Because I, like the Marks brothers, don't want to get sued by a
manufacturer of pipe fittings in Ching Chong Sheng Zhong-Zhaou.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Quoting the ratio between the selling and (bulk) buying price looks
extreme. However I suspect that if you wanted to get at the 31p flexible
hoses you'll find that you can only get them per container load and
the buyer collects from the docks.

Whcih could well be *their dock* (IE Loading bay) in Ching Chong Sheng
Zhong-Flywheel*-Zhaou.

*Because I, like the Marks brothers, don't want to get sued by a
manufacturer of pipe fittings in Ching Chong Sheng Zhong-Zhaou.

DG

Does that come with chip or fly li?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Quoting the ratio between the selling and (bulk) buying price looks
extreme. However I suspect that if you wanted to get at the 31p flexible
hoses you'll find that you can only get them per container load and
the buyer collects from the docks.

Whcih could well be *their dock* (IE Loading bay) in Ching Chong Sheng
Zhong-Flywheel*-Zhaou.

*Because I, like the Marks brothers, don't want to get sued by a
manufacturer of pipe fittings in Ching Chong Sheng Zhong-Zhaou.

I refer to this manufacturer (Manual non existent or scamble engleesh) and
no backup after sales or technical support as
Fook Yu.

Expensive Araldite? Lobster UK diy 11 August 16th 06 06:51 AM
GAS getting expensive?? Give this a try!!!! TACRYDAH Woodworking 0 May 11th 06 11:23 AM
When mahogany just isn't expensive enough Andy Dingley Woodworking 7 March 18th 06 04:36 AM
These are expensive! [email protected] UK diy 8 September 8th 05 01:28 AM