Posted to alt.home.repair
jimmy jimmy is offline

Default This is going to be expensive

The pressure in my house has been low for many years. Galvanized pipe
installed back when was closing up.
I had a local contractor do a replacement for $800.00, I know this was a
good price,
however I am also certain it depends on your location and how busy
local plumbers are. He had his own little machine to dig the trench
My run was approx. 40 feet and 4-6 feet down.
Check in your area, talk to local plumbing supply shops for references..etc

"Mike" wrote in message
This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike