Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default This is going to be expensive

On Oct 22, 1:42*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
On 10/21/2010 4:02 PM, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,
* *wrote:

This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes
in.http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe
and a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news.
I assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a
slow leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now
that the grass is always a little greener near the house where this
pipe runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. *Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

* I assume this is city water. *If you get a water bill I'd *notify
those folks first and say you have a in ground leak .

Sometimes, they'll give you a break on the sewage side of the bill.

Not where I live. I've had a leak on their side of the meter twice,
and they said if it was on my side of the meter they wouldn't touch
it.

It's not their job. Their job is to fix city/county problems, period.