Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave[_53_] Dave[_53_] is offline

Default This is going to be expensive

On Oct 21, 6:49*pm, Mike wrote:
This is a picture taken in my basement where the water line comes in.

http://imgur.com/K634A.jpg

I noticed a couple days ago the streak on the wall below the pipe and
a small puddle of water below. I know this cannot be good news. I
assume the pipe that runs into the house from the street has a slow
leak in it, perhaps due to tree roots growing in? I recall now that
the grass is always a little greener near the house where this pipe
runs. Now I might know why.

How much might it cost to have the yard dug up to fix a water line?
Thousands of dollars I fear. *Dreading the call to the plumber.

Thanks....

Mike

Firstly determine if it is City water. You can do this with a chlorine
test kit. If it is not then go ahead and seal it up. If it is I would
call the plumber. It could be a leak a lot further out then you are
seeing. The water sometimes will follow the path of the pipe.

-Dave