Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting a notch in the bottom plate

I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on a
concrete slab. I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete slab
below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but I
don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on
a concrete slab. I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete
slab below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but
I don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

You have a couple of answers; how I do not know because I am still trying to
figure out what type of notch, for what and where.

I am sure it can be done. I may even have a suggestion with a little more
information.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 9:52*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on
a concrete slab. *I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete
slab below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? *I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. *Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but
I don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

You have a couple of answers; how I do not know because I am still trying to
figure out what type of notch, for what and where.

I am sure it can be done. *I may even have a suggestion with a little more
information.

That's been my suggestion to him for quite some time now...more
information - please!
Sometimes it's like pulling teeth...

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on a
concrete slab. I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete slab
below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but I
don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

Use the sawzall, blades are cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 5:33*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on a
concrete slab. *I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete slab
below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? *I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. *Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but I
don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

How about using a drill bit (either an auger or a paddle bit) to drill
a hole where you want the notch and finishing it off with a chisel?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Oct 20, 11:42*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 20, 5:33*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on a
concrete slab. *I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete slab
below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? *I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. *Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but I
don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

How about using a drill bit (either an auger or a paddle bit) to drill
a hole where you want the notch and finishing it off with a chisel?

cheers
Bob

I can't believe nobody has posted the obvious. Just use a hammer and
chisel, or have we all gone away to power tools?

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:33*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete slab
below.
I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but I
don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

Use the recip saw.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 8:13*am, rlz wrote:

I can't believe nobody has posted the obvious. *Just use a hammer and
chisel, or have we all gone away to power tools?

Obvious? You are making a number of assumptions, which may or may not
be correct, and it is far from obvious. The OP, as per his standard
modus operandi, has given little information about where the notch is
to be located. For all we know, it's on the bottom of the plate, in a
corner, and behind a toilet. Like real estate, location is
everything.

At some point I figure he'll realize that he's wasting time -
everyone's - by asking questions with incomplete information, not
posting pictures, and assuming that people can read his mind.

In the desire for more complete information when questions are posted,
hope springs eternal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 8:13*am, rlz wrote:

I can't believe nobody has posted the obvious. *Just use a hammer and
chisel, or have we all gone away to power tools?

BTW, if the OP is asking about a notch, he's not cutting all the way
through, right? If he's using the wrong word and asking because he
doesn't want to _slightly_ dull an old reciprocating saw blade, then I
must assume he's just being difficult. And cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:40*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:

I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on a
concrete slab. *I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete slab
below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? *I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. *Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but I
don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

Use the sawzall, blades are cheap.

Exactly! Assuming he has clearance to use it it is the only logical
answer. I can't believe all the "off the wall suggestions" to keep
from ruining a 50 cent blade. My God, those blades are thowaways.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is
sitting on a concrete slab. I can't use a recipricating saw because
of the concrete slab below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter
but I don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

You have a host of suggestions so far that depend on location,
accessability, etc. Only you know the situation.

You obviously don't have one of these oscillation tools of some brand
yet or you wouldn't be posting the Q.

http://oscillatingtool.org
http://www.harborfreight.com/multifu...ool-67256.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/variabl...ool-67537.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

How big a notch? On the top of the board, or the bottom of the board?
And, what are you doing with such a notch?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is
sitting on a
concrete slab. I can't use a recipricating saw because of the
concrete slab
below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter
but I
don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:05:09 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Oct 20, 8:40Â*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:

I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on a
concrete slab. Â*I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete slab
below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? Â*I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. Â*Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but I
don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

Use the sawzall, blades are cheap.

Exactly! Assuming he has clearance to use it it is the only logical
answer. I can't believe all the "off the wall suggestions" to keep
from ruining a 50 cent blade. My God, those blades are thowaways.

Harry K

It SOUNDS like his only reason for not using the recip is he's too
cheap to waste a blade ( and I've done it many times without damaging
a blade) - so it APPEARS he is cutting a "gap" in the plate, not a
notch (which would be only part way throught)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:40*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

Or he's cutting a vertical notch. It could be all sorts of things,
but we're all just guessing what the hell he's thinking.

This is what I mean - he posts these incomplete questions and then
disappears while people try to help him and there's all sorts of
guessing about what he is trying to do. Then, sometimes, he comes
back with, "Oh, no, that's not what I meant!" He used to ask
questions on alt.architecture and it was always the same deal. He'd
ask questions after he already started tearing things up and people
would be telling him that he was going off half-cocked and cocking up
the job. The guy just refuses to learn. Or maybe it's me that
refuses to learn - I keep trying to answer his questions, so I guess
that makes me the stupid one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2010 8:13 AM, rlz wrote:
On Oct 20, 11:42 pm, wrote:
On Oct 20, 5:33 pm, wrote:

[...]

yepper. This is a perfect application for the crap chisel and 2-lb
hammer from HF. Growing up, every electrician/plumber I knew kept a crap
1.5" chisel with a fold of tape over the end in his tool box. Of
course, sometimes the carpenters would have a few words to say about the
random attacks on their fine framing, but hey, that is how it goes.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

-snip-

yepper. This is a perfect application for the crap chisel and 2-lb
hammer from HF. Growing up, every electrician/plumber I knew kept a crap
1.5" chisel with a fold of tape over the end in his tool box.

My crap chisel is made from an old coarse file I found buried in the
mud one day. It takes a good edge on a grinding wheel & if I find a
hardened nail that chips it, I just grind it shorter.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 7:50*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

-snip-

yepper. This is a perfect application for the crap chisel and 2-lb
hammer from HF. Growing up, every electrician/plumber I knew kept a crap
1.5" chisel with a fold of tape over the end in his tool box. *

My crap chisel is made from an old coarse file I found buried in the
mud one day. * *It takes a good edge on a grinding wheel & if I find a
hardened nail that chips it, I just grind it shorter.

Jim

Been there done this. Use a sawsall and throw the blade away when
you're done. I buy packs of the el cheapo wood blades for my sawsall
so I can toss one if I need to cut something that is going to trash
it. Like wood with nails, tree root in the dirt, wood next to
concrete or block.