Wilks

Default Leaking bottom plate question

I have a bottom plate leaking water underneath it after a rain and need some
advice. For reasons I won't bother to go into one wall of a barn sits
directly across the middle of a concrete slab patio. The exterior is hardie
panel that comes down to 1/2 inch from the slab. A piece of aluminum L
flashing (4"x6") is sandwiched between the bottom plate 2"x4" and the
concrete. Before bolting the bottom plate down, several beads of calk were
laid down between the flashing and slab but the joint leaked water after a
rain. I then caulked the outside edge with a bead of black flashing caulk --
the 50 year kind and it still leaks. Any suggestions how I can make this
water proof? Thanks.

Wilks

"DanG" wrote in message

You are fighting a no-win battle. Any seal that you might manage
will be temporary at best. The only proper solution involves
cutting the concrete, creating a stem wall (with footing by code)
and reworking the wall.

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Thanks Dan. I may get to that point but wanted to explore less drastic
action first.

BBQ Plate Question? BIGEYE UK diy 3 February 14th 05 10:46 PM
Front Door Threshold Stripping Question Michael Roback Home Repair 1 February 1st 05 01:15 AM
Annoying Leather Sofa question? Bob_M Home Repair 11 January 24th 05 08:44 PM
Indesit dg6145 dishwasher leaking - fixed but I wish I hadn't! donny UK diy 0 April 24th 04 10:04 PM
Drilling flat bottom holes..... Thanks! Marty Metalworking 0 September 9th 03 11:05 PM