Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Cutting a notch in the bottom plate

On Oct 21, 3:59*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:05:09 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote:
On Oct 20, 8:40*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:

I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on a
concrete slab. *I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete slab
below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? *I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. *Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but I
don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

Use the sawzall, blades are cheap.

Exactly! *Assuming he has clearance to use it it is the only logical
answer. *I can't believe all the "off the wall suggestions" to keep
from ruining a 50 cent blade. *My God, those blades are thowaways.

*It SOUNDS like his only reason for not using the recip is he's too
cheap to waste a blade ( and I've done it many times without damaging
a blade) - so it APPEARS he is cutting a "gap" in the plate, not a
notch (which would be only part way throught)

Or he's cutting a vertical notch. It could be all sorts of things,
but we're all just guessing what the hell he's thinking.

This is what I mean - he posts these incomplete questions and then
disappears while people try to help him and there's all sorts of
guessing about what he is trying to do. Then, sometimes, he comes
back with, "Oh, no, that's not what I meant!" He used to ask
questions on alt.architecture and it was always the same deal. He'd
ask questions after he already started tearing things up and people
would be telling him that he was going off half-cocked and cocking up
the job. The guy just refuses to learn. Or maybe it's me that
refuses to learn - I keep trying to answer his questions, so I guess
that makes me the stupid one.