Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Cutting a notch in the bottom plate

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is
sitting on a concrete slab. I can't use a recipricating saw because
of the concrete slab below.

Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? I have a diamond blade (for
concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. Can I use the
diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?

I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter
but I don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.

Ideas?

You have a host of suggestions so far that depend on location,
accessability, etc. Only you know the situation.

You obviously don't have one of these oscillation tools of some brand
yet or you wouldn't be posting the Q.

http://oscillatingtool.org
http://www.harborfreight.com/multifu...ool-67256.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/variabl...ool-67537.html