Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Draining dehumidifier into sewage pipes in crawlspace?

I'm thinking of putting a dehumidifier in the crawlspace.

The humidifier I like most (dry eaz cmc 100) has a built-in pump. However,
it can pump water only 3 feet high, that means I cannot pump the water up
one floor into one of the sinks.

There is no foundation drain visible in the crawl space that I can use.
There are 3 and 4 inch black drain pipes that leads out to the city sewage.
Can I drill a small hole in one of these black pipes and stick in the
dehumidifier's drain hose? This would be less than 3 feet above the
dehumidifier. But I wonder if it would cause any problem if large amount of
water is being flushed down from the living area. Is there anything in (USA)
building code on this issue?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 1:59*pm, "james" wrote:
I'm thinking of putting a dehumidifier in the crawlspace.

The humidifier I like most (dry eaz cmc 100) has a built-in pump. However,
it can pump water only 3 feet high, that means I cannot pump the water up
one floor into one of the sinks.

There is no foundation drain visible in the crawl space that I can use.
There are 3 and 4 inch black drain pipes that leads out to the city sewage.
Can I drill a small hole in one of these black pipes and stick in the
dehumidifier's drain hose? This would be less than 3 feet above the
dehumidifier. But I wonder if it would cause any problem if large amount of
water is being flushed down from the living area. Is there anything in (USA)
building code on this issue?

You need a T and a trap. If the black pipe is plastic it would be
fairly easy to add a T and trap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:
I'm thinking of putting a dehumidifier in the crawlspace.

The humidifier I like most (dry eaz cmc 100) has a built-in pump.
However, it can pump water only 3 feet high, that means I cannot pump
the water up one floor into one of the sinks.

There is no foundation drain visible in the crawl space that I can
use. There are 3 and 4 inch black drain pipes that leads out to the
city sewage. Can I drill a small hole in one of these black pipes and
stick in the dehumidifier's drain hose? This would be less than 3
feet above the dehumidifier. But I wonder if it would cause any
problem if large amount of water is being flushed down from the
living area. Is there anything in (USA) building code on this issue?

If the dehumidifier's pump were strong enough to lift the water an
additional twelve feet, and you punched holes in the floor, etc., such that
you got the condensate line to a sink, where do you think the water would go
then?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2010 12:59 PM, james wrote:
I'm thinking of putting a dehumidifier in the crawlspace.

The humidifier I like most (dry eaz cmc 100) has a built-in pump.
However, it can pump water only 3 feet high, that means I cannot pump
the water up one floor into one of the sinks.

There is no foundation drain visible in the crawl space that I can use.
There are 3 and 4 inch black drain pipes that leads out to the city
sewage. Can I drill a small hole in one of these black pipes and stick
in the dehumidifier's drain hose? This would be less than 3 feet above
the dehumidifier. But I wonder if it would cause any problem if large
amount of water is being flushed down from the living area. Is there
anything in (USA) building code on this issue?

rather than drilling a hole, i would put in a "Y" fitting, and properly
adapt down to your 3/4 or whatever hose. Also have the hose loop UP
higher than the "Y" when you install it. shouldn't be any problems,
unless the sewer backs up real bad, and if that's the case, a little
junk in your dehumidifier is probably gonna be the least of your worries.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"james" wrote in message
I'm thinking of putting a dehumidifier in the crawlspace.

The humidifier I like most (dry eaz cmc 100) has a built-in pump. However,
it can pump water only 3 feet high, that means I cannot pump the water up
one floor into one of the sinks.

There is no foundation drain visible in the crawl space that I can use.
There are 3 and 4 inch black drain pipes that leads out to the city
sewage. Can I drill a small hole in one of these black pipes and stick in
the dehumidifier's drain hose? This would be less than 3 feet above the
dehumidifier. But I wonder if it would cause any problem if large amount
of water is being flushed down from the living area. Is there anything in
(USA) building code on this issue?

Can you not drill a hole through the foundation and dump the water outside
on the ground?

Pump it up 2-3 feet and add a gravity line to the outside. I have a
condensate pump on a 90+ furnace and AC that works just fine using this
method.

You are risking drain leaks and sewage in your crawl space when you tap a
drain line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It would disappear by magic?

As to the soil pipe in the cellar. Hate to have one of those leak.
Best to tap in from the top, and seal the new puncture with a lot of
silicone caulk around the new fitting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
james wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The dehum can (and should) be put on a shelf above floor level. So it
can get some air circulation.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

Can you not drill a hole through the foundation and dump the water
outside
on the ground?

Pump it up 2-3 feet and add a gravity line to the outside. I have a
condensate pump on a 90+ furnace and AC that works just fine using
this
method.

You are risking drain leaks and sewage in your crawl space when you
tap a
drain line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2010 1:59 PM, james wrote:
I'm thinking of putting a dehumidifier in the crawlspace.

The humidifier I like most (dry eaz cmc 100) has a built-in pump.
However, it can pump water only 3 feet high, that means I cannot pump
the water up one floor into one of the sinks.

There is no foundation drain visible in the crawl space that I can use.
There are 3 and 4 inch black drain pipes that leads out to the city
sewage. Can I drill a small hole in one of these black pipes and stick
in the dehumidifier's drain hose? This would be less than 3 feet above
the dehumidifier. But I wonder if it would cause any problem if large
amount of water is being flushed down from the living area. Is there
anything in (USA) building code on this issue?

Can you? Yes.
Should you? Maybe.
It is in compliance with your local code? Maybe. If not, do you care?

Where I live, it violates code. Our county code prohibits all sources
of liquid that are not directly related to our water supply from
draining into our sewer system. So, by our code, air conditioning
condensate, and the condensate from our high efficiency gas furnace must
be pumped outdoors. If we had a stand-alone dehumidifier, it would
pertain to that condensate as well.

Don't get me started on the logic of the code.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 4:25*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

Buzzzz, incorrect answer. He has to have a trap. Anything draining
into the sw has to have a trap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 5:25*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"james" wrote in message

[...]

Reasonable alternative but also extend the line at least 10 ft from
the house foundation. It's a given if he is putting a dehumidifier in
his crawl he has water issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 8:47*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
It would disappear by magic?

As to the soil pipe in the cellar. Hate to have one of those leak.
Best to tap in from the top, and seal the new puncture with a lot of
silicone caulk around the new fitting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

james wrote:
[...]

then?- Hide quoted text -

Buzzz, another bogus answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:

If the dehumidifier's pump were strong enough to lift the water an
additional twelve feet, and you punched holes in the floor, etc.,
such that
you got the condensate line to a sink, where do you think the water
would go
then?-

Buzzz, another bogus answer.

Bzzzt! It was a question, not an answer. Admittedly, in the Socratic Method,
the answer to one question is often hidden in the asking of another.
Example:

Question: "Why is their air?"

(Hidden answer) Response: "Have you ever tried breathing Cool-Whip?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

"Have you ever tried breathing Cool-Whip?"

Hell yes. Well, the propellant anyway. The boss at the college food
service place had to send back several cases of the stuff that was, uh,
defective. No propellant in any of the cans for some reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2010 9:41 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Oct 5, 4:25 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

a simple dip in the hose would serve for that. So it's not a
"buzzzzzzzzzzz".. It's a use common sense.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter wrote:

Where I live, it violates code. Our county code prohibits all sources
of liquid that are not directly related to our water supply from
draining into our sewer system.

So, let me get this straight: You have a tail-gate party at your home with a
few friends. You watch the game. You and your friends consume copious
quantities of beer that originated from pristine Colorado streams and
brought directly to your town without ever having reached room temperature.

Do you have to go out to the street and pee in the storm drain? **** in an
empty five-gallon water bottle and FedEx the used beer back to Colorado?
Take a large container of urine to your mayor's houe with the notice "It's
not mine, it's urine!"

Perplexed minds want to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dr. Laura Schlessinger mentioned that concept as being common with
Jews. She'd ask "What, you don't like my dinner?" and a Jewish guest
would reply "what's not to like?".

Was Socrates a Jew? Would that be an issue? Which came first, the
question or the question? Was one better than the other?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Bzzzt! It was a question, not an answer. Admittedly, in the Socratic
Method,
the answer to one question is often hidden in the asking of another.
Example:

Question: "Why is their air?"

(Hidden answer) Response: "Have you ever tried breathing Cool-Whip?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good thing the cans in that year were inflated with carbon monoxide.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
"Have you ever tried breathing Cool-Whip?"

Hell yes. Well, the propellant anyway. The boss at the college food
service place had to send back several cases of the stuff that was,
uh,
defective. No propellant in any of the cans for some reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 4:25 pm, Steve *wrote:
[...]

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

I doubt a simple dip in the hose meets the local plumbing code. And
doing it the right way, installing a trap is gonna be a major pain in
the ass. With a 3' lift capability, in almost all cases, it should
be possible to run a small hose outside the crawlspace to let the
water drain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Perhaps I'm not picturing what you mean by crawlspace.

The crawlspaces in houses I've lived in were not sealed - there was
plenty of air transfer. Therefore, running a dehumidifier is
equivalent to trying to dehumidify the whole neighborhood. It would
run continuously and accomplish nothing.

Maybe your set up is different, but I'm inclined to think ventilation
is a better answer than dehumidification.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 9:52*am, TimR wrote:
Perhaps I'm not picturing what you mean by crawlspace.

The crawlspaces in houses I've lived in were not sealed - there was
plenty of air transfer. *Therefore, running a dehumidifier is
equivalent to trying to dehumidify the whole neighborhood. *It would
run continuously and accomplish nothing.

Maybe your set up is different, but I'm inclined to think ventilation
is a better answer than dehumidification.

This may be the best answer yet. Another part of the equation might
be a vapor barrier over the ground. I have yet to see a crawlspace
with a dehumidifier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any water under the house increases the likelihood of mold growth not
to mention a mess and possible structural problem. Dehumidification
as you know can produce quite a bit of water. This water is
essentially distilled water and is pure water (better than our well
water). We collect ours an a 5 gal pail and use it for watering the
garden and house plants rather than run it out on the ground to make a
summer time mud puddle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 06:52:29 -0700 (PDT), TimR wrote:

Perhaps I'm not picturing what you mean by crawlspace.

The crawlspaces in houses I've lived in were not sealed - there was
plenty of air transfer. Therefore, running a dehumidifier is
equivalent to trying to dehumidify the whole neighborhood. It would
run continuously and accomplish nothing.

Our last house had a "crawl space" that was sealed. It looked like the family
room was an afterthought and the foundation extended for it. The "crawl
space" was excavated down to the footings (7') but there was no floor or
access to the area.

Maybe your set up is different, but I'm inclined to think ventilation
is a better answer than dehumidification.

I had vents added to the space (and insulation covered in Tyvec) and left the
window open year-round. That seemed to take care of any moisture problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2010 9:52 AM, TimR wrote:
Perhaps I'm not picturing what you mean by crawlspace.

The crawlspaces in houses I've lived in were not sealed - there was
plenty of air transfer. Therefore, running a dehumidifier is
equivalent to trying to dehumidify the whole neighborhood. It would
run continuously and accomplish nothing.

Maybe your set up is different, but I'm inclined to think ventilation
is a better answer than dehumidification.

Vented crawls used to be SOP here in midwest, until they realized it was
easier and cheaper to prevent the moisture, than to give up all that
free ground heat in winter. I haven't seen vents on a 'new' crawl in
thirty-some years around here. A modern crawl with sidewall insulation
seldom freezes hard, even if house furnace is off. That is a lot shorter
hill for the furnace to climb in the dead of winter. Of course, few
people build crawls now around here, other than on cheap tract homes,
glorified trailers, and lots with high water tables.

Unless OP has a high water table or a spring, I'd regrade the yard and
redo the gutters, and dry the damn thing out, first. Even add an outside
french drain, if none exists. Don't have to dig very deep for a crawl,
just a foot below frostline or so.

--
aem sends...