Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Draining dehumidifier into sewage pipes in crawlspace?

"james" wrote in message
I'm thinking of putting a dehumidifier in the crawlspace.

The humidifier I like most (dry eaz cmc 100) has a built-in pump. However,
it can pump water only 3 feet high, that means I cannot pump the water up
one floor into one of the sinks.

There is no foundation drain visible in the crawl space that I can use.
There are 3 and 4 inch black drain pipes that leads out to the city
sewage. Can I drill a small hole in one of these black pipes and stick in
the dehumidifier's drain hose? This would be less than 3 feet above the
dehumidifier. But I wonder if it would cause any problem if large amount
of water is being flushed down from the living area. Is there anything in
(USA) building code on this issue?

Can you not drill a hole through the foundation and dump the water outside
on the ground?

Pump it up 2-3 feet and add a gravity line to the outside. I have a
condensate pump on a 90+ furnace and AC that works just fine using this
method.

You are risking drain leaks and sewage in your crawl space when you tap a
drain line.