The Natural Philosopher

Default footings and sewage pipes

Stephen Tames wrote:

My neighbour wants to build a rear extension on a semi and I am the other half.
I am concerned about his footings being too close to my main soil (sewage) pipe which is right against the party wall and his footings will touch the edge of it as they
extend wider than the his new extension wall. Unfortunately the soil pipe is internal and cannot be easily relocated.
Is there a regulation concerning this in the party wall 96 act ?

Thanks, Steve

No pinion on the leagilties, BUT I would be FAR happeire having a sewage
pipe - as long as it is a straight single run - butted up to a wall than
in soil where it might get dug up or smashed accidentally.

The only thing to worry about soli pipes are that they are intact, run
in straight lines at teh appriate fall, and are protected against
damgage AND can be rodded by having chambers at each and every bend...

I would use the opportunity to check the pipe thoriooughly, and maybe
ebvcenm encase it IN the footings, or at least if it gets exposed, get
hom to pay to lay a decent shingle bed under, and over it.

In other words, accept the inevitable, and get him to make a proper job
of the mess he may make on your side of the line.

In case of sense of humour failure, get old Bonzo Dog Doodah band album
and play 'my pink half of the drainpipe' repeatedly, at volume.