Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Draining dehumidifier into sewage pipes in crawlspace?

james wrote:
I'm thinking of putting a dehumidifier in the crawlspace.

The humidifier I like most (dry eaz cmc 100) has a built-in pump.
However, it can pump water only 3 feet high, that means I cannot pump
the water up one floor into one of the sinks.

There is no foundation drain visible in the crawl space that I can
use. There are 3 and 4 inch black drain pipes that leads out to the
city sewage. Can I drill a small hole in one of these black pipes and
stick in the dehumidifier's drain hose? This would be less than 3
feet above the dehumidifier. But I wonder if it would cause any
problem if large amount of water is being flushed down from the
living area. Is there anything in (USA) building code on this issue?

If the dehumidifier's pump were strong enough to lift the water an
additional twelve feet, and you punched holes in the floor, etc., such that
you got the condensate line to a sink, where do you think the water would go
then?