Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint over linoleum

I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know about painting the floor, but the cost would most likely be
the same.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 9:27*am, "purpledawn" wrote:
I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

It's difficult to get paint to adhere to linoleum. It is also
difficult to get paint to stand up to the wear it experiences on a
floor. The cost/work to overcome those obstacles far outwieghts the
effort to just lay a new piece of linoleum.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 5, 10:13*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Oct 5, 9:27*am, "purpledawn" wrote:

I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

It's difficult to get paint to adhere to linoleum. *It is also
difficult to get paint to stand up to the wear it experiences on a
floor. *The cost/work to overcome those obstacles far outwieghts the
effort to just lay a new piece of linoleum.

If the existing lino is neither cracked nor peeling, you could even
lay new right on top of the old... if anything this will give a
slightly better insulated and softer floor than taking the old up and
laying down new. Please do at least pull the toilet though...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 10:18*am, N8N wrote:
On Oct 5, 10:13*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Oct 5, 9:27*am, "purpledawn" wrote:

I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

It's difficult to get paint to adhere to linoleum. *It is also
difficult to get paint to stand up to the wear it experiences on a
floor. *The cost/work to overcome those obstacles far outwieghts the
effort to just lay a new piece of linoleum.

If the existing lino is neither cracked nor peeling, you could even
lay new right on top of the old... if anything this will give a
slightly better insulated and softer floor than taking the old up and
laying down new. *Please do at least pull the toilet though...

A lot of it has raised features. If so it will telegraph through the
new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"purpledawn" wrote:

I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

I agree with other respondents about ditching the paint idea and getting
new flooring. But sheet flooring isn't a DIY project for the beginner.
If the professionally installed price is too high, go with self-stick
squares for now, or even indoor/outdoor carpeting that you can put in
yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2010 8:27 AM, purpledawn wrote:
I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

We actually painted a countertop in one of our rentals then put 3 coats
of polyurathane on it. It is holding up amazingly well. I suspect you
could use latex of your choice and put on several coats of floor finish
over that. The worst that can happen is it starts to come off and you
have to do something else.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"purpledawn" wrote in message
I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible.
Rather than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If
yes, what kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know.
Thank you , Monika

Just use floor paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"purpledawn" wrote in message
I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

Thank you for all your answers. Guess I will hire someone to lay new
linoleum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

purpledawn wrote:
"purpledawn" wrote in message
I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible.
Rather than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it.
If yes, what kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to
know. Thank you , Monika

Thank you for all your answers. Guess I will hire someone to lay new
linoleum.

Option A:
If your hand fits:
* A wrench,
* A utility knife, and
* A spatulata
You can do it yourself.

Option B:
Know a bachelor with a tool kit? He'll probably be eager to trade a
vinyl-floor lay for a rack of lamb dinner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 5, 10:28*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Oct 5, 10:18*am, N8N wrote:

[...]

True, I didn't think of that. My mental picture was of a typical
sheet that you roll out that only has a slight texture. If it's not
like that ignore my suggestion.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 12:23*pm, "purpledawn" wrote:
"purpledawn" wrote in message

I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

Thank you for all your answers. Guess I will hire someone to lay new
linoleum.

It's not very hard to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

purpledawn wrote the following:
I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

Monika, is that a female name?
You sound like what you want to do is a male type of fix.
"Honey, I'll just paint the floor rather than replace the linoleum,
It'll look great". :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 9:27*am, "purpledawn" wrote:
I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

How does it look horrible ???

Is it just a color or pattern you do not like or what ???

Do you know how old the linoleum floor is ???

Do you know if the floor has been properly maintained, as in
sealed and properly waxed ???

Linoleum and vinyl composition tile/sheet flooring requires
quite a bit of work to keep them looking shiny and minty fresh...

You might vastly improve the look of your floor if you just
strip off the old wax, clean thoroughly and reseal and wax...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 2:21*pm, Evan wrote:
On Oct 5, 9:27*am, "purpledawn" wrote:

I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

How does it look horrible ???

Is it just a color or pattern you do not like or what ???

Do you know how old the linoleum floor is ???

Do you know if the floor has been properly maintained, as in
sealed and properly waxed ???

Linoleum and vinyl composition tile/sheet flooring requires
quite a bit of work to keep them looking shiny and minty fresh...

You might vastly improve the look of your floor if you just
strip off the old wax, clean thoroughly and reseal and wax...

~~ Evan

No one has asked if it is really linoleum or vinyl. A lot of people
call any kind of sheet flooring linoleum, expecially those of us who
were around before vinyl came into widespread use..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2010 11:11 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 07:53:41 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

I agree with other respondents about ditching the paint idea and getting
new flooring. But sheet flooring isn't a DIY project for the beginner.
If the professionally installed price is too high, go with self-stick
squares for now, or even indoor/outdoor carpeting that you can put in
yourself.

Sheet flooring for a SMALL BATHROOM is definitely a DIY project, that
could be handled by anyone who was contemplating painting the same
tiny area. The stuff is very easy to work with, and there are many
sources in print and online on how to do it.

I'll just say that has not been my experience, and I tip my hat to those
that have mastered it. My few attempts over the years produced rather
sad results. I have the theories and procedures in my head- no problem.
But my hands can't seem to put theory into practice. Other than maybe a
tiny room, and some of that no-glue stuff where the baseboard holds the
edges down, I'll never try it again. And for damn sure, I'll never try
patching sheet goods again. THAT is artisan work, to make the patch
vanish. As long as I have cashflow, and can find a moonlighting guy who
works cheap for cash on evenings and weekends, I'll hire it out. That is
what I did on my second bathroom, and he made it look EASY. In and out
in a couple of hours (one evening to put down the underlayment and mud
the seams, next evening to lay the vinyl), and $75, and it looked better
than I could ever do. If I ever feel rich enough to replace my worn-out
kitchen vinyl, I'll try to hunt the same guy down.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/05/2010 06:39 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 10/5/2010 11:11 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 07:53:41 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

[...]

I dunno, my mom 'n' dad did two bathrooms in their house and it looks at
least as good as it would have had they hired a pro.

Not sure why they didn't do the third, honestly. Carpet in a bathroom
is a cardinal sin IMHO. (and it's been in there for something like 20
years now...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote in
:

On Oct 5, 10:18*am, N8N wrote:

[...]

Even the slight texture will come through in time. I've done quite a few
vinyl over vinyl that came out absolutely fine. You just have to skimcoat
it first with like Henry Skimcoat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 10:18*am, N8N wrote:

[...]

it first with like Henry Skimcoat.- Hide quoted text -

You have to pull up the quarter round anyway. Skim coating it is
about as much work as pulling it up unless the prior installer went
crazy with the glue. And I like to use the old piece as a guide to
cut the new one when doing bathrooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 10:18*am, N8N wrote:

[...]

I like to use the old piece as a guide when cutting the new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
lj lj is offline

On Oct 5, 10:18*am, N8N wrote:

[...]

I like to use the old piece as a template for cutting the new. Leave
a little extra though as sometimes vinyl shrinks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote in
:

On Oct 7, 5:59*pm, Red Green wrote:
N8N wrote
innews:e1570927-16f8-4893-beef-f79e143268

:

On Oct 5, 10:18*am, N8N wrote:

On Oct 5, 10:13*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Oct 5, 9:27*am, "purpledawn"
wrote:

[...]

skimcoat it first with like Henry Skimcoat.- Hide quoted text -

You have to pull up the quarter round anyway. Skim coating it is
about as much work as pulling it up unless the prior installer went
crazy with the glue. And I like to use the old piece as a guide to
cut the new one when doing bathrooms.

Skim coating it is
about as much work as pulling it up unless the prior installer went
crazy with the glue.

Can't say I buy into that. Not in my experience anyway, Clean the vinyl
with ammonia/detergent, rinse well and skimcoat (yea ya gotta mix it and
can't screw around putting it down), A little sandpaper can smooth any
errors you made and you have a nice surface with no old glue to deal
with. The skimcoat is basically only in the recessed pattern.

Guess the bottom line is whichever method works for you.

And then there's really bad ones that you just have to put down flooring
underlayment (not plain old luan). Now were talking screws, glue,
skimcoat, ughhh!
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Brown paper template made from the 35/36" rolls works for me. Same idea
as stone countertops I've seen patterned by pros using like a mylar or
something.

Removing linoleum [email protected] Home Repair 25 December 29th 08 04:08 AM
Linoleum Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 3 March 20th 08 11:51 PM
linoleum in basement [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 19th 05 02:36 AM
What to use as an underlay for linoleum Code Developer UK diy 1 June 6th 05 08:31 PM
I don't like my linoleum formerly known as 'cat arranger' Home Repair 6 February 17th 05 05:40 AM