Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Paint over linoleum

On 10/05/2010 06:39 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 10/5/2010 11:11 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 07:53:41 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible.
Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes,
what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you ,
Monika

I agree with other respondents about ditching the paint idea and getting
new flooring. But sheet flooring isn't a DIY project for the beginner.
If the professionally installed price is too high, go with self-stick
squares for now, or even indoor/outdoor carpeting that you can put in
yourself.

Sheet flooring for a SMALL BATHROOM is definitely a DIY project, that
could be handled by anyone who was contemplating painting the same
tiny area. The stuff is very easy to work with, and there are many
sources in print and online on how to do it.

I'll just say that has not been my experience, and I tip my hat to those
that have mastered it. My few attempts over the years produced rather
sad results. I have the theories and procedures in my head- no problem.
But my hands can't seem to put theory into practice. Other than maybe a
tiny room, and some of that no-glue stuff where the baseboard holds the
edges down, I'll never try it again. And for damn sure, I'll never try
patching sheet goods again. THAT is artisan work, to make the patch
vanish. As long as I have cashflow, and can find a moonlighting guy who
works cheap for cash on evenings and weekends, I'll hire it out. That is
what I did on my second bathroom, and he made it look EASY. In and out
in a couple of hours (one evening to put down the underlayment and mud
the seams, next evening to lay the vinyl), and $75, and it looked better
than I could ever do. If I ever feel rich enough to replace my worn-out
kitchen vinyl, I'll try to hunt the same guy down.

I dunno, my mom 'n' dad did two bathrooms in their house and it looks at
least as good as it would have had they hired a pro.

Not sure why they didn't do the third, honestly. Carpet in a bathroom
is a cardinal sin IMHO. (and it's been in there for something like 20
years now...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.