Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing linoleum

I have tiled our master bedroom with ceramic tiles to replace an old
carpet, and it came out looking very nice. Now I need to do the same
with the master bathroom, and there is my problem. The current floor
is a two-layered vinyl. The bottom layer is linoleum glued to the
cement slab and the top one is self-stick tiles. Now I know I can
peel off the self-stick tiles by applying heat (using an iron on top
of a towel or a hair dryer). My question is: What is the easiest way
to remove the linoleum? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have tiled our master bedroom with ceramic tiles to replace an old
carpet, and it came out looking very nice. Now I need to do the same
with the master bathroom, and there is my problem. The current floor
is a two-layered vinyl. The bottom layer is linoleum glued to the
cement slab and the top one is self-stick tiles. Now I know I can
peel off the self-stick tiles by applying heat (using an iron on top
of a towel or a hair dryer). My question is: What is the easiest way
to remove the linoleum? Thanks.

If you can get the stick on tiles off you can tile over the original lino.
getting the lino off the slab plain and simple is just hard work. If your
worried about the tile sticking I replaced all the tile in my kitchen/
dinning area about 300 sq. ft. It was glued on lino on piratical board
underlayment I only got 2 12X12 tiles off in one piece so it will stick to
lino. I not sure if trying to tile over stick on tiles is wise.If you are
going to use the same tile you might have to remove the lion to keep the
height the same. if it's a small area a good scraper , 54" coat and a 6" hat
..

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Dec 27, 11:40*am, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
just leave it.

wrote in message

I have tiled our master bedroom with ceramic tiles to replace an old
carpet, and it came out looking very nice. *Now I need to do the same
with the master bathroom, and there is my problem. *The current floor
is a two-layered vinyl. *The bottom layer is linoleum glued to the
cement slab and the top one is self-stick tiles. *Now I know I can
peel off the self-stick tiles by applying heat (using an iron on top
of a towel or a hair dryer). *My question is: *What is the easiest way
to remove the linoleum? *Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Never leave it as it can start to peel after the fact and ruin the
entire do it right or not at all

Posted to alt.home.repair

it can't peel with heavy ceramic tile on it.

"jim" wrote in message

Never leave it as it can start to peel after the fact and ruin the
entire do it right or not at all

Posted to alt.home.repair

good luck with that belt sander idea....... that belt will be clogged
within about 4 revolutions.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
I have tiled our master bedroom with ceramic tiles to replace an old
carpet, and it came out looking very nice. Now I need to do the same
with the master bathroom, and there is my problem. The current floor
is a two-layered vinyl. The bottom layer is linoleum glued to the
cement slab and the top one is self-stick tiles. Now I know I can
peel off the self-stick tiles by applying heat (using an iron on top
of a towel or a hair dryer). My question is: What is the easiest way
to remove the linoleum? Thanks.

If you've got an air compressor, a scraper kit will do a pretty good job.
Like this:

You can try a long-handled scraper (about $30.00).

Once you get it down to the dregs, a belt sander with a coarse grit should
remove most of the still-stuck stuff and level the surface.

Absent compelling reasons to the contrary, I'd leave the original linoleum
in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have tiled our master bedroom with ceramic tiles to replace an old
carpet, and it came out looking very nice. Now I need to do the same
with the master bathroom, and there is my problem. The current floor
is a two-layered vinyl. The bottom layer is linoleum glued to the
cement slab and the top one is self-stick tiles. Now I know I can
peel off the self-stick tiles by applying heat (using an iron on top
of a towel or a hair dryer). My question is: What is the easiest way
to remove the linoleum? Thanks.

Knowing the age of the home might help get a better answer.

It is going to depend on a couple things:
The quality of the vinyl and the type of glue used to install it.

Sometimes it rips right up and other times it becomes a project you wish you
never started.

If it was installed in the last 30 years it is most like glued down with a
water based glue and the removal process is much easier.

Get the lino off and soak the floor and let it sit then scrape it up.

Unless you are absolutely certain that it modern vinyl DO NOT use a sander.
They really old stuff contained asbestos.

I always do things the "hard way" and would never lay tile over vinyl.
Backerboard over vinyl and then tile I would do. But you have concrete down
there waiting for a bond with the thinset. No backerboard needed.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in
:

good luck with that belt sander idea....... that belt will be clogged
within about 4 revolutions.

Where'd you find belts that good? :-)

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

LOL! i hear ya.

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Steve Barker" wrote in
:

good luck with that belt sander idea....... that belt will be clogged
within about 4 revolutions.

Where'd you find belts that good? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
good luck with that belt sander idea....... that belt will be clogged
within about 4 revolutions.

Eek! You're right. I was thinking about sex.

Probably a wire brush or Propane torch would help.

Damn! Thinking about sex again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:

Unless you are absolutely certain that it modern vinyl DO NOT use a
sander. They really old stuff contained asbestos.

So? There has never been a proven case of any deleterious effect caused by
any commercial asbestos product. This includes the dust from brake pads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 10:49*am, wrote:
I have tiled our master bedroom with ceramic tiles to replace an old
carpet, and it came out looking very nice. *Now I need to do the same
with the master bathroom, and there is my problem. *The current floor
is a two-layered vinyl. *The bottom layer is linoleum glued to the
cement slab and the top one is self-stick tiles. *Now I know I can
peel off the self-stick tiles by applying heat (using an iron on top
of a towel or a hair dryer). *My question is: *What is the easiest way
to remove the linoleum? *Thanks.

I tiled over my linolium seven years ago with no problem. I started to
try to get the linolium up and my bro in law told me it was a waste of
time. I think I'd still be trying to get that stuff up. Don't waste
your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Colbyt wrote:
Unless you are absolutely certain that it modern vinyl DO NOT use a
sander. They really old stuff contained asbestos.

So? There has never been a proven case of any deleterious effect caused by
any commercial asbestos product. This includes the dust from brake pads.

Really? tell that to the folks who got cancer because they worked in
shipyards and locomotive shops where asbestos was used as insulation.

And to think someone thought you were just a gadfly...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 10:49*am, wrote:
My question is: *What is the easiest way
to remove the linoleum? *Thanks.

Back in the '60s we (once) used a Bernz-O-Matic to heat the tiles and
soften the old mastic for scraping. Worked pretty good... until as
the last tiles were being heated and the flame reached across that
tile to the "bare" floor the room burst into flames.

So, if you're going to do it that way, I'd recommend plenty of
ventilation.

Linoleum doesn't require much in the way of adhesive, since it's as
flat on the bottom as the top. If you can just scape up the tiles and
any boogers the leftover mastic should be easy to bury in whatever
adhesive you plan to use.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

So? There has never been a proven case of any deleterious effect
caused by any commercial asbestos product. This includes the dust
from brake pads.

Really? tell that to the folks who got cancer because they worked in
shipyards and locomotive shops where asbestos was used as insulation.

Be glad to do so. But there aren't any. At least none have been found.

Oh, there have been people who got cancer AND worked in shipyards, but they
got cancer because they got cancer and not BECAUSE they worked in shipyards
or around asbestos. I'm sure some would disagree (i.e., trial lawyers) just
as there are those who believe in the deleterious effects of silicone breast
implants, flouridation, and thimerisol.

And to think someone thought you were just a gadfly...

I'm not JUST a gadfly. I can also wiggle my nose (but only for private
audiences).

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Colbyt wrote:
Unless you are absolutely certain that it modern vinyl DO NOT use
sander. They really old stuff contained asbestos.

So? There has never been a proven case of any deleterious effect
caused by any commercial asbestos product. This includes the dust
from brake pads.

Really? tell that to the folks who got cancer because they worked in
shipyards and locomotive shops where asbestos was used as
insulation.

Uh, insulation being applied to ships and locomotives is not a
"commercial product" in the sense that brake pads and flooring are
"commercial products".

My mother was an executive secretary Johns-Manville for many years.
She sat on it, wrote on it, tossed trash in it, walked on it, the
offices were a showplace for asbestos. While she did die of cancer
she was 90 years old at the time and it was not any of the kinds of
cancer that the do-gooders claim are caused by asbestos.

This is another case where our society is allowing professional
do-gooders to scare us to death. Yes, it is a health hazard for those
who work with it ever day. For some guy pulling up the flooring in
his house once in a lifetime, not so much.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Colbyt wrote:

Unless you are absolutely certain that it modern vinyl DO NOT use a
sander. They really old stuff contained asbestos.

So? There has never been a proven case of any deleterious effect caused by
any commercial asbestos product. This includes the dust from brake pads.

Tell that to the former shareholders of the old Keene Corporation of which I
was one.

Even if has never been proven, why would I or you take a chance with another
person's health.

Pardon my bluntness. Your post was just plain dumb and un-informed.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Colbyt wrote:

Unless you are absolutely certain that it modern vinyl DO NOT use a
sander. They really old stuff contained asbestos.

So? There has never been a proven case of any deleterious effect
caused by any commercial asbestos product. This includes the dust
from brake pads.

Tell that to the former shareholders of the old Keene Corporation of
which I was one.

Keene got sued by thousands of "free money" plaintiffs because Keene
manufactured stuff out of asbestos. Blame the trial lawyers, not asbestos.

I'm sorry you lost your investment, but so did the shareholders of
Dow-Corning after the breast implant fiasco. Both of you suffered, but not
as much as the children that DIE because of unfounded concerns over
Thimerisal or (principally in eastern Africa) Polio vaccine. Or, more
specifically, those that died in the WTC attacks. Consider:

WTC North Tower: Hit 8:46 a.m. - collapsed 10:28 a.m.
WTC South Tower: Hit 9:03 a.m. - collapsed 9:59 a.m.

The North Tower stood for one hour and forty-two minutes while the South
Tower survived for only fifty-six minutes. The difference? The North Tower's
structural members were insulated with asbestos, the South Tower with potato
starch or something similar.

Even if has never been proven, why would I or you take a chance with
another person's health.

First, because I don't give a fig about another person's health. Second, my
mission in life is to confront dogma based on "feelings" rather than fact,
thirdly, I'm not taking a chance on another's health - they can make their
own decision when provided with the truth.

Your point - about Keene - is, however, well founded. If the OP digs up
asbestos he may very well be the subject of an financially ruining lawsuit
brought be a neighbor.

Pardon my bluntness. Your post was just plain dumb and un-informed.

I forgive you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably a wire brush or Propane torch would help.

propane torch on concrete BAM concrete expoldes violently, I fopunf
this out one day when my torch fell over

Posted to alt.home.repair

it takes a fairly long (minute or more) burn to do that. And it's not that
violent...

wrote in message

Probably a wire brush or Propane torch would help.

propane torch on concrete BAM concrete expoldes violently, I fopunf
this out one day when my torch fell over

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:14:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Probably a wire brush or Propane torch would help.

propane torch on concrete BAM concrete expoldes violently, I fopunf
this out one day when my torch fell over

What is a " fopunf"? Never heard the term, before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in
:

it takes a fairly long (minute or more) burn to do that. And it's not
that violent...

wrote in message
..
.

Probably a wire brush or Propane torch would help.

propane torch on concrete BAM concrete expoldes violently, I fopunf
this out one day when my torch fell over

Never had to keep the torch on the ants that long. They would start
popping pretty quick. Just move on to another spot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
George wrote:

So? There has never been a proven case of any deleterious effect
caused by any commercial asbestos product. This includes the dust
from brake pads.

Really? tell that to the folks who got cancer because they worked in
shipyards and locomotive shops where asbestos was used as insulation.

Be glad to do so. But there aren't any. At least none have been found.

Oh, there have been people who got cancer AND worked in shipyards, but
they got cancer because they got cancer and not BECAUSE they worked in
shipyards or around asbestos. I'm sure some would disagree (i.e., trial
lawyers) just as there are those who believe in the deleterious effects of
silicone breast implants, flouridation, and thimerisol.

And you have proof of that? Of course not, but it is interesting how cases
of Mesothelioma have been related to asbestos environments. Asbestos is a
silent killer which leaves no early symptoms of detection. By the time
detection has occurred, it's too late. But of course, people get cancer
because they just get cancer. Good thing you're not a doctor. Though, I can
make a fairly good guess at what you really are.

Linoleum Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 3 March 20th 08 11:51 PM
Removing Linoleum Glue Saml Home Repair 5 August 15th 06 09:41 PM
Removing linoleum and adhesive from a kitchen floor Bob Home Repair 3 August 12th 05 01:16 AM
I don't like my linoleum formerly known as 'cat arranger' Home Repair 6 February 17th 05 05:40 AM
Removing linoleum for tiling - what about the stuff stuck to the floor? Adam Home Repair 4 February 15th 05 04:32 PM