Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Linoleum Glue

Utility room has a concrete floor, part of which was/is covered with
linoleum. Wife wants to replace it with, probably, some kind of linoleum
type tiles.

Looking for a good way to removed the original glue and the bits of the
linoleun backing that are stuck to it. Sanding is out because it might
contain asbestos.

Glue is in swirls. I've read that boiling water may soften it and that krud
Kutter would remove it. Acetone doesn't seem to do anything.

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, how smooth does the floor need to be if the new covering is
to be some kind of linoleum? (It is a utility room after all...)

Thanks, Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Saml" wrote in
:

Utility room has a concrete floor, part of which was/is covered with
linoleum. Wife wants to replace it with, probably, some kind of
linoleum type tiles.

Looking for a good way to removed the original glue and the bits of
the linoleun backing that are stuck to it. Sanding is out because it
might contain asbestos.

Glue is in swirls. I've read that boiling water may soften it and
that krud Kutter would remove it. Acetone doesn't seem to do
anything.

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, how smooth does the floor need to be if the new
covering is to be some kind of linoleum? (It is a utility room after
all...)

Thanks, Sam

Read this Q&A: http://www.infotile.com.au/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001971.html
Many mentions of Krud Cutter.

Maybe you inherited what you have. Hope you didn't pull up a fairly
intact floor. With linoleum/vinyl, you only need to cut away any loose,
curled, bubbles flush with the rest of the linoleum.

Skim coat the floor with portland cement based Armstrong S-184 filling in
any recesses including the recesses in the old linoleum pattern.

Alternatively, how smooth does the floor need to be if the new
covering is to be some kind of linoleum? (It is a utility room after
all...)

Over time, traffic will cause any recesses to show through the new
covering. Try to get it as good as possible. It's an opportunity to learn
from your experience in a utility room!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"Saml" wrote in
:

Read this Q&A: http://www.infotile.com.au/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001971.html
Many mentions of Krud Cutter.

Look like the same article I read. I had a suspicion the author was a
salesperson for Krud Kutter...

Maybe you inherited what you have. Hope you didn't pull up a fairly
intact floor. With linoleum/vinyl, you only need to cut away any loose,
curled, bubbles flush with the rest of the linoleum.

I don't think so. The linoleum was laid around a counter, which we
discovered when we removed the counter, so we had a 2x8' strip of cement.

Skim coat the floor with portland cement based Armstrong S-184 filling in
any recesses including the recesses in the old linoleum pattern.

So just tiling over existing linoleum is the trick if it is well stuck down?

Thanks

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used ppaint stripper, try a small area

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Saml" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"Saml" wrote in
:

[...]

I never used tiles/strips.

What I have done, twice, is put sheet vinyl (not linoleum) over existing
sheet vinyl (probably vinyl, not linoleum) in two bathrooms. I did this
as previously mentioned. It looked great. Long term results unknown as
the house was sold. I saw it for about a year and it was like the day it
was installed.

Whether vinyl tiles/stips need different considerations, I really can't
say and don't want to mislead you.

There are a couple mentions of tiles/stripping here that may prompt you
to check further.

http://www.improvenet.com/adviceandr..._linoleum.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Saml" writes:
Utility room has a concrete floor, part of which was/is covered with
linoleum. Wife wants to replace it with, probably, some kind of linoleum
type tiles.

Looking for a good way to removed the original glue and the bits of the
linoleun backing that are stuck to it. Sanding is out because it might
contain asbestos.

Glue is in swirls. I've read that boiling water may soften it and that krud
Kutter would remove it. Acetone doesn't seem to do anything.

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, how smooth does the floor need to be if the new covering is
to be some kind of linoleum? (It is a utility room after all...)

Thanks, Sam

How about Bosch itself.
I just got a new logic board for my Gaggenau dishwasher (shares parts
with Bosch and I believe is owned by them) through the Bosch-Gaggenau
parts center of Bosch. They were very helpful and shipped parts out
promptly.

help removing glue! dotdotdot UK diy 3 November 24th 04 10:21 PM
removing (what I think is) glue lou Home Repair 2 October 27th 04 04:35 AM
ARTICLE: The Truth About Polyurethane Glue J T Woodworking 5 July 18th 04 11:06 PM
What Type Glue Terry Kemmerer Woodworking 4 May 7th 04 06:21 PM
Experiences hammer veenering? Paul Kierstead Woodworking 14 March 22nd 04 06:34 PM