Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_4_] Steve Barker[_4_] is offline

Default Removing linoleum

good luck with that belt sander idea....... that belt will be clogged
within about 4 revolutions.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
I have tiled our master bedroom with ceramic tiles to replace an old
carpet, and it came out looking very nice. Now I need to do the same
with the master bathroom, and there is my problem. The current floor
is a two-layered vinyl. The bottom layer is linoleum glued to the
cement slab and the top one is self-stick tiles. Now I know I can
peel off the self-stick tiles by applying heat (using an iron on top
of a towel or a hair dryer). My question is: What is the easiest way
to remove the linoleum? Thanks.

If you've got an air compressor, a scraper kit will do a pretty good job.
Like this:

You can try a long-handled scraper (about $30.00).

Once you get it down to the dregs, a belt sander with a coarse grit should
remove most of the still-stuck stuff and level the surface.

Absent compelling reasons to the contrary, I'd leave the original linoleum
in place.