Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Paint over linoleum

hr(bob) wrote the following:
On Oct 5, 2:21 pm, Evan wrote:
On Oct 5, 9:27 am, "purpledawn" wrote:

I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather
than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what
kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

How does it look horrible ???

Is it just a color or pattern you do not like or what ???

Do you know how old the linoleum floor is ???

Do you know if the floor has been properly maintained, as in
sealed and properly waxed ???

Linoleum and vinyl composition tile/sheet flooring requires
quite a bit of work to keep them looking shiny and minty fresh...

You might vastly improve the look of your floor if you just
strip off the old wax, clean thoroughly and reseal and wax...

~~ Evan

No one has asked if it is really linoleum or vinyl. A lot of people
call any kind of sheet flooring linoleum, expecially those of us who
were around before vinyl came into widespread use..

I still call the one piece roll out flooring linoleum, and I have been
around since 1937.
It really doesn't matter which type it is, painting it is a mistake.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY