Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hanging a wall kitchen cabinet

I've been working on my '29 kitchen...

I'm building some euro cabinets out of maple plywood.

How are these usually attached? I'm trying to decide to make the back
out of 1/4" or 3/4" which is in short supply?

What I had was metal cabinets screwed on a 1x4, so that is no clue!

On another note, I'll be using "shelf pegs" to hold the shelves.
Since I have a divider in the box, with shelves on each side, I could
drill the peg holes all the way through. Is there a reason not to? Or I
could offset them horizontally.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 4:29*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
I've been working on my '29 kitchen...

I'm building some euro cabinets out of maple plywood.

How are these usually attached? I'm trying to decide to make the back
out of 1/4" or 3/4" which is in short supply?

* What I had was metal cabinets screwed on a 1x4, so that is no clue!

* *On another note, I'll be using "shelf pegs" to hold the shelves.
Since I have a divider in the box, with shelves on each side, I could
drill the peg holes all the way through. Is there a reason not to? Or I
could offset them horizontally.

You could laminate two or three strips of 1/4" ply on the inside back
(or outside back if you want the strips not to show from inside), or
you could use french cleats (either store bought aluminum hardware, or
a 1x4 ripped on a 45 down the middle).

The shelf support holes can go all of the way through as long as the
center support allows both support pins to be fully inserted.

I wouldn't skimp on buying a sheet of 3/4" if that is what you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 7:32 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 2, 4:29 pm, Jeff wrote:
I've been working on my '29 kitchen...

I'm building some euro cabinets out of maple plywood.

How are these usually attached? I'm trying to decide to make the back
out of 1/4" or 3/4" which is in short supply?

What I had was metal cabinets screwed on a 1x4, so that is no clue!

On another note, I'll be using "shelf pegs" to hold the shelves.
Since I have a divider in the box, with shelves on each side, I could
drill the peg holes all the way through. Is there a reason not to? Or I
could offset them horizontally.

You could laminate two or three strips of 1/4" ply on the inside back
(or outside back if you want the strips not to show from inside), or
you could use french cleats (either store bought aluminum hardware, or
a 1x4 ripped on a 45 down the middle).

Ah, I've used french cleats as a cheap way to hang pictures, had no
idea it was called that. I like it!

The shelf support holes can go all of the way through as long as the
center support allows both support pins to be fully inserted.

I wouldn't skimp on buying a sheet of 3/4" if that is what you need.

Hard to put a sheet of plywood in the back of my car. Even harder to
find good plywood. I do have some leftover 1/2", I'll mount the french
cleat on that...

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 4:29 pm, Jeff wrote:
[...]

Local ma'n'pa yards can still deliver small lots, especially if you can
wait a few days till the truck is on your side of town. Do any of the
Borgs in your town have the 75-minute truck rentals?

If you are into woodworking, you need a vehicle with a tail gate. But
pretty much any car can haul 1-2 sheets of plywood on top. If you don't
have clamp-on roof racks, but do have rain gutters, I'd buy a set. I've
even hauled stuff on slick-top cars using just padding (like pool
noodles and old blankets), and lots of rope. I wouldn't go on the
highway with a setup like that, but local surface streets are no problem.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 4:29 pm, Jeff wrote:
[...]

I get a little depressed just thinking of this. I had a great yard
just down the street. The nearest "small" yard is some distance away,
the borgs carry junk. No such thing as AC... I have some 3/8 3 ply
plywood here, the best I could get. If I ever need to make a cylinder it
is perfect. The little "good" stuff is often only sold in half sheets or
less. Go figure.

Do any of the
Borgs in your town have the 75-minute truck rentals?

If you are into woodworking, you need a vehicle with a tail gate. But
pretty much any car can haul 1-2 sheets of plywood on top. If you don't
have clamp-on roof racks, but do have rain gutters, I'd buy a set. I've
even hauled stuff on slick-top cars using just padding (like pool
noodles and old blankets), and lots of rope. I wouldn't go on the
highway with a setup like that, but local surface streets are no problem.

I'm thinking of a trailer, either 4x6 or 5x8. I've been trying to
replace the '88 New Yorker first to tow it. Hadn't thought about a roof
rack...

Jeff