Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to protect an out door water pipe from freezing and other traumas?

I have a piece of pvp pipe just sticking out of the ground with a
faucet on the end for water. 2 years back several pipes busted on the
property, including this one. Last year I wrapped it in pipe foam
and duct tape and it made through the winter.
Now as winter is headed our way again, I'd like to make a more
permanent solution to this problem.
I was thinking of maybe bricking it up and filling it in with
conceret. This would also protect the pipe from people tugging on the
hose. I am unsure of any other solutions, but if you have any
suggestions, please share them with me. I could put some kind of
heat tape on it but would only do this as a last resort.
I live in Zone 8 ( the zones for buying plants.) Out side of
Atlanta,GA. It gets cold in the winter, and we get a few days below
freezing, some snow, but not often. However, I'd like the pipe to be
able to survive a 20 or 50 year freeze.
I also thought if I put bricks and concrete around the pipe I'd like
the faucet to be recesses on the top to protect it from the wind and
cold. and to make it easier to cover with syrofoam.

But again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ron C
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2010 1:09 PM, Ron Cliborn wrote:
[...]

Install a frost proof hydrant. They are specifically designed for your
application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 10:43*am, George wrote:

Install a frost proof hydrant. They are specifically designed for your
application.

Know that some of us paranoid folks in the Great White North install
said "frost-proof faucets," but also bundle the faucets up each winter
with insulation and caps irregardless of what the makers of said
products claim about "frost-proof" abilities. ;0

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron Cliborn wrote:
[...]

Bricks, concrete, and the like, don't insulate worth spit: Consider the
following R-values:

Brick - 0.80
Poured concrete - 0.08/inch

A 2x4 has an R-value of 4.38
Cement block, 8-inch - 1.11

Can you build a dog house around the spigot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:46:33 -0700 (PDT), tim birr
wrote:

On Sep 17, 10:43Â*am, George wrote:

Install a frost proof hydrant. They are specifically designed for your
application.

Know that some of us paranoid folks in the Great White North install
said "frost-proof faucets," but also bundle the faucets up each winter
with insulation and caps irregardless of what the makers of said
products claim about "frost-proof" abilities. ;0

Frost proof hydrant AND blow out the lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sep 17, 10:43*am, George wrote:

Install a frost proof hydrant. They are specifically designed for your
application.

Know that some of us paranoid folks in the Great White North install
said "frost-proof faucets," but also bundle the faucets up each winter
with insulation and caps irregardless of what the makers of said
products claim about "frost-proof" abilities. ;0

*Frost proof hydrant AND blow out the lines.

Overkill.

This guy lives near Atlanta, he just needs overnight protection, in
daytime it almost always gets above freezing for part of the day. I
would blow the water out of the pipe and leave at least one end open,
any residual water will expand down the length of the pipe and
compress the air that is in the line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron Cliborn" wrote
I live in Zone 8 ( the zones for buying plants.) Out side of
Atlanta,GA. It gets cold in the winter, and we get a few days below
freezing, some snow, but not often. However, I'd like the pipe to be
able to survive a 20 or 50 year freeze.

Insulation alone will slow the laws of thermodynamics, but it does not
repeal them.

No matter what you do with insulation, eventually the heat will be lost and
the pipe will freeze. If you want to be 100% sure, you must either drain
the water or add heat. Wrap the pipe with heating tape and turn it on when
it gets below freezing. A frost prove valve will work as long as the pipe
drains where exposed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 12:09*pm, Ron Cliborn wrote:
[...]

I drain the pipes, then you know you are safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron Cliborn wrote:
[...]

To keep the pipe from getting broken when someone is pulling on the
hose. I'd drive a metal tee-post fence along side of it and secure the
pipe to the post with hose clamps (try not to hit the supply line when
doing this). To keep it from freezing? Some kind of barrel or big
tube over it all, filled with squashed up old walmart plastic sacks or
a bag of cellulose insulation and put a lid on it, maybe a decent
looking trash can would work? It might be worth the effort to dig it
all up and "stiff arm" it with metal pipe.
If you can make it through a couple more years global warming should
take over and it won't be a problem the next ice age.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 4:08*am, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:
Ron Cliborn wrote:
[...]

take over and it won't be a problem the next ice age.- Hide quoted text -

I'd go ahead and switch to the freeze proof outlet. The ones with the
pull handle. The valve is located at the bottom and when you close it
that automatically opens a drain in the bottom. Do this once and you
will not have to worry about it again. Atlanta occasionally does have
cold snaps that last a few days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Ron Cliborn wrote:
[...]

cold snaps that last a few days.- Hide quoted text -

could covert lines to PEX its highly freeze resistant, it freezes but
doesnt split. just expands and contracts
Posted to alt.home.repair

FatterDumber& Happier Moe" "WheresMyCheck wrote:

If you can make it through a couple more years global warming should
take over and it won't be a problem the next ice age.

It USED to be "Global Warming."

Then it was "Climate Change."

Now it's "Global Climate Disruption."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...te-disruption/

Try to keep up!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2010 9:01 AM, HeyBub wrote:
FatterDumber& Happier Moe""WheresMyCheck wrote:

If you can make it through a couple more years global warming should
take over and it won't be a problem the next ice age.

It USED to be "Global Warming."

Then it was "Climate Change."

Now it's "Global Climate Disruption."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...te-disruption/

Try to keep up!

Hows about "Climate Caused Disaster"? It could be called
CCD for short.

TDD