Adrian Simpson

Default pipe freezing

I want to remove a radiator so that I can strip and replace the wall
paper behind it. Unfortunately, it looks as though the thermostatic
valve won't shut right down, so rather than draining the radiator, I
drain the system :-(

So, it looks as though I need to change the valve, and initial thoughts
were to drain the system down before doing the job, but I was wondering
how well the pipe freezing stuff works, could I use it to allow me to
drain off the radiator, remove it, then replace the valve ?

TIA

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"

Adrian Simpson wrote:

I want to remove a radiator so that I can strip and replace the wall
paper behind it. Unfortunately, it looks as though the thermostatic
valve won't shut right down, so rather than draining the radiator, I
drain the system :-(

You need a decorator's cap for the TRV: you should have had one for each
valve when they were installed, but if not you can sometimes get away with
putting something like a coin between the head and the valve so that you
can turn it off completely.
Chris Bacon

john.stumbles wrote:
Adrian Simpson wrote:

I want to remove a radiator so that I can strip and replace the wall
paper behind it. Unfortunately, it looks as though the thermostatic
valve won't shut right down, so rather than draining the radiator, I
drain the system :-(

You need a decorator's cap for the TRV: you should have had one for each
valve when they were installed, but if not you can sometimes get away with
putting something like a coin between the head and the valve so that you
can turn it off completely.

You can also use a G-clamp, with a bit of care...
fred

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
john.stumbles wrote:
Adrian Simpson wrote:

I want to remove a radiator so that I can strip and replace the wall
paper behind it. Unfortunately, it looks as though the thermostatic
valve won't shut right down, so rather than draining the radiator, I
drain the system :-(

You need a decorator's cap for the TRV: you should have had one for each
valve when they were installed, but if not you can sometimes get away with
putting something like a coin between the head and the valve so that you
can turn it off completely.

You can also use a G-clamp, with a bit of care...

I think I prefer John's No More Tears formula, yours sounds a tad optimistic
in view of the dismounting work that the o/p is planning.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Chris Bacon

fred wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
john.stumbles wrote:
Adrian Simpson wrote:
I want to remove a radiator so that I can strip and replace the wall
paper behind it. Unfortunately, it looks as though the thermostatic
valve won't shut right down, so rather than draining the radiator, I
drain the system :-(

You need a decorator's cap for the TRV: you should have had one for each
valve when they were installed, but if not you can sometimes get away with
putting something like a coin between the head and the valve so that you
can turn it off completely.

You can also use a G-clamp, with a bit of care...

I think I prefer John's No More Tears formula, yours sounds a tad optimistic
in view of the dismounting work that the o/p is planning.

'Stroo, you have to have a bit of care... however, it does work,
you need a bit of hosepipe chopped off & opened up for a gasket..
I remember when I thought "Oh! It won't get cold for a few days!"
and relied on the TRV completely... fortunately the floor slab
in their '50s "solid brick house" allowed water to drain easily...!

Lobster

Adrian Simpson wrote:
I want to remove a radiator so that I can strip and replace the wall
paper behind it. Unfortunately, it looks as though the thermostatic
valve won't shut right down, so rather than draining the radiator, I
drain the system :-(

So, it looks as though I need to change the valve, and initial thoughts
were to drain the system down before doing the job, but I was wondering
how well the pipe freezing stuff works, could I use it to allow me to
drain off the radiator, remove it, then replace the valve ?

The limiting factor is not the freezing kit - it works 100% effectively
- but rather your plumbing ability/reliability: the freezing kit will
block the pipework for a matter of minutes during which time you need to
remove the old valve and refit a replacement. If something goes wrong,
eg the new valve doesn't fit for some reason, or you mess up the
connection, then you don't have long before the dreaded black water
starts coming through....

Have never had the guts to use one myself. Once watched a pro do it
(successfully!) on a live water main, which I would find seriously scary!

David
david lang

Lobster wrote:

The limiting factor is not the freezing kit - it works 100%
effectively - but rather your plumbing ability/reliability: the
freezing kit will block the pipework for a matter of minutes

SNIP
Have never had the guts to use one myself. Once watched a pro do it
(successfully!) on a live water main, which I would find seriously
scary!

I've only used one once on a mains supply and it worked a treat. Rather
than a few mins, the water was off for a good 20 mins - we had to wait to
fill the kettle!

Dave

Adrian Simpson

In article , Huge
writes
Get the cap. I've just finished mopping up the water in the living room - the
radiator's off in the bathroom and the TRV wasn't as turned off as it
should have
been.

No decorators cap, but I did get a pair of half inch black iron ones.

Following up on John Stumble's suggestion I looked at putting a coin in.
Unfortunately, the hole is way too small, but I did get a bit of
cardboard in, which did the job. Once the rad was off, I fitted the
blanking caps to each valve, so if they do decide to leak, I don't get a
soggy floor.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
fred

In article , Adrian Simpson news@nos
pam.demon.co.uk writes
In article , Huge
writes
Get the cap. I've just finished mopping up the water in the living room - the
radiator's off in the bathroom and the TRV wasn't as turned off as it
should have
been.

No decorators cap, but I did get a pair of half inch black iron ones.

Following up on John Stumble's suggestion I looked at putting a coin in.
Unfortunately, the hole is way too small, but I did get a bit of
cardboard in, which did the job. Once the rad was off, I fitted the
blanking caps to each valve, so if they do decide to leak, I don't get a
soggy floor.

CARDBOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Adrian Simpson

In article , fred writes
In article , Adrian Simpson news@nos
pam.demon.co.uk writes
In article , Huge
writes
Get the cap. I've just finished mopping up the water in the living room - the
radiator's off in the bathroom and the TRV wasn't as turned off as it
should have
been.

No decorators cap, but I did get a pair of half inch black iron ones.

Following up on John Stumble's suggestion I looked at putting a coin in.
Unfortunately, the hole is way too small, but I did get a bit of
cardboard in, which did the job. Once the rad was off, I fitted the
blanking caps to each valve, so if they do decide to leak, I don't get a
soggy floor.

Cardboard - low tech solutions are often best. Least there be any
confusion, it is between the thermostat and the plunger that presses on
to the valve, it is firmly on the "dry" side.

Adrian