Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to protect an out door water pipe from freezing and other traumas?

I have a piece of pvp pipe just sticking out of the ground with a
faucet on the end for water. 2 years back several pipes busted on the
property, including this one. Last year I wrapped it in pipe foam
and duct tape and it made through the winter.
Now as winter is headed our way again, I'd like to make a more
permanent solution to this problem.
I was thinking of maybe bricking it up and filling it in with
conceret. This would also protect the pipe from people tugging on the
hose. I am unsure of any other solutions, but if you have any
suggestions, please share them with me. I could put some kind of
heat tape on it but would only do this as a last resort.
I live in Zone 8 ( the zones for buying plants.) Out side of
Atlanta,GA. It gets cold in the winter, and we get a few days below
freezing, some snow, but not often. However, I'd like the pipe to be
able to survive a 20 or 50 year freeze.
I also thought if I put bricks and concrete around the pipe I'd like
the faucet to be recesses on the top to protect it from the wind and
cold. and to make it easier to cover with syrofoam.

But again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ron C