Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipe freezing kit help

As I have written previously I have need to replace a radiator valve
that was jammed and the spindle now broken off. As there are no drain
points (that I can find) no any way of turning off the CH water supply
separately I am thinking of freezing the pipe to replace the valve.
There is only a perhaps 6 inches of pipe from the floor to the radiator
that is easily accessible. Could I use a one off freezing kit
successfully in this situation? Any suggestions and help gratefully
received.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
As I have written previously I have need to replace a radiator valve that
was jammed and the spindle now broken off. As there are no drain points
(that I can find) no any way of turning off the CH water supply separately
I am thinking of freezing the pipe to replace the valve. There is only a
perhaps 6 inches of pipe from the floor to the radiator that is easily
accessible. Could I use a one off freezing kit successfully in this
situation? Any suggestions and help gratefully received.

I recently had a similar problem where I couldn't drain the system down.

First of all I drained a radiator. I turned off both valves and slackened
one valve in the traditional way and collected the water in a dish.

I had a compression coupler and attached it to a hose pipe.

I then slackened the compression fitting on the lower part of the valve and
got an assistant to hold the valve down against the olive.

It was then a matter of quickly removing the valve and putting my thumb over
the pipe. And then putting the compression coupler in place of the valve.
If you're fast there's very little spillage.

I would have thought you could do something very similar to change a valve.
Just make sure the new valve is also turned off!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I recently had a similar problem where I couldn't drain the system down.

First of all I drained a radiator. I turned off both valves and slackened
one valve in the traditional way and collected the water in a dish.

I had a compression coupler and attached it to a hose pipe.

I then slackened the compression fitting on the lower part of the valve and
got an assistant to hold the valve down against the olive.

It was then a matter of quickly removing the valve and putting my thumb over
the pipe. And then putting the compression coupler in place of the valve.
If you're fast there's very little spillage.

I would have thought you could do something very similar to change a valve.
Just make sure the new valve is also turned off!

Unless, of course, the system is pressurised and you'd get water
absolutely everywhere!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
As I have written previously I have need to replace a radiator valve
that was jammed and the spindle now broken off. As there are no drain
points (that I can find) no any way of turning off the CH water supply
separately I am thinking of freezing the pipe to replace the valve.
There is only a perhaps 6 inches of pipe from the floor to the
radiator that is easily accessible. Could I use a one off freezing kit
successfully in this situation? Any suggestions and help gratefully
received.

Turn the water off at the mains.
syphon the water out of the header tank with a hosepipe (you might want to
give the inside of the tank a clean at this point, plenty of old rags will
do the trick)
Drain a few bucketfuls of water from a downstairs radiator, or drain the
entire system, then change the valve(s) you need to change...while the
system is dry, install a drain valve at the lowest point you can find
downstairs, preferably near the front or back door.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

As I have written previously I have need to replace a radiator valve
that was jammed and the spindle now broken off. As there are no drain
points (that I can find) no any way of turning off the CH water supply
separately I am thinking of freezing the pipe to replace the valve.
There is only a perhaps 6 inches of pipe from the floor to the radiator
that is easily accessible. Could I use a one off freezing kit
successfully in this situation? Any suggestions and help gratefully
received.

I was fairly strongly warned against using freeze kits unless one is
experienced enough to be confident of doing a quick hassle free job.
Which, with plumbing, I'm not.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

system is dry, install a drain valve at the lowest point you can find
downstairs, preferably near the front or back door.

My favoured trick if you can manage it, is to install a permanent drain
point controlled by a service valve that is plumbed directly to a drain
or gully. That way you can drain down without needing hoses or anything
like that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
As I have written previously I have need to replace a radiator valve
that was jammed and the spindle now broken off. As there are no drain
points (that I can find) no any way of turning off the CH water supply
separately I am thinking of freezing the pipe to replace the valve.
There is only a perhaps 6 inches of pipe from the floor to the
radiator that is easily accessible. Could I use a one off freezing kit
successfully in this situation? Any suggestions and help gratefully
received.

I've had good experiences with pipe freezing kits, last one was on an
incoming main with a broken stopcock. Replaced the stopcock and had to wait
20 mins before we could put the kettle on!

Could you use those rubber bungs that create a vacuum?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've had good experiences with pipe freezing kits, last one was on an
incoming main with a broken stopcock.

Well you have larger cojones than me, then!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've had good experiences with pipe freezing kits, last one was on an
incoming main with a broken stopcock.

Well you have larger cojones than me, then!

They really do work - if you follow the destructions to the letter & take
your time.

On that last one, my nephew was assisting. He was in panic alert red!

It really did take 15 odd mins to thaw out again. I'm very impressed with
them.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Lobster wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've had good experiences with pipe freezing kits, last one was on an
incoming main with a broken stopcock.

Well you have larger cojones than me, then!

They really do work - if you follow the destructions to the letter & take
your time.

Oh sure - I've watched a plumber do just what you did, but I didn't
fancy taking my chances personally (although, it was on a lead pipe
which made things all the more interesting).

David

Question about water pressure in relation to valve and feeder pipe diameters... Ken Moiarty Home Repair 80 October 23rd 06 03:17 AM
Ping Cliff was Centerline or Work Surface Programming? Cliff Home Ownership 2 July 22nd 06 04:15 PM
Type of pipe for Propane Bob Home Repair 0 December 28th 05 11:21 AM
pipe freezing Adrian Simpson UK diy 10 November 6th 05 08:43 PM
electricity on my water pipes Laurent Doiron Home Repair 32 March 30th 04 06:01 PM