Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Colortime paint turning into cheeze

I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

??? Paint thinner should only be used in oil based paints. Acetone is a
paint remover, not an additive for latex paint. What kind of paint is it? If
it's latex, you should just dump it, get more, and DON'T add anything to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

So what kind of paint is this? Oil base? Acrylic?

Adding paint thinner solvent to latex will make it curdle and cheezy. Don't
ask how I know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 9:07*am, "h" wrote:
"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. *Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. *I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. *Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

??? Paint thinner should only be used in oil based paints. Acetone is a
paint remover, not an additive for latex paint. What kind of paint is it? If
it's latex, you should just dump it, get more, and DON'T add anything to it.

Its latex.
It costs about $75 / 5 gal so I'd rather not dump it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

So what kind of paint is this? Oil base? Acrylic?

Adding paint thinner solvent to latex will make it curdle and cheezy.
Don't
ask how I know.

Yes, its latex.

===========

You're not particularly intelligent. Where the f*ck did you ever get the
idea that you could think latex paint with acetone? There are instructions
on the paint containers for a reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 10:56*am, Deodiaus wrote:
On Aug 16, 9:07*am, "h" wrote:

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. *Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. *I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. *Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

??? Paint thinner should only be used in oil based paints. Acetone is a
paint remover, not an additive for latex paint. What kind of paint is it? If
it's latex, you should just dump it, get more, and DON'T add anything to it.

Its latex.
It costs about $75 / 5 gal so I'd rather not dump it.- Hide quoted text -

Well, it's garbage now. You could act ignorant (which may not be so
hard) and take it back to walmart. "I dunno what happened to it???"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

Most people would just stir it, not ruin it with inappropriate solvents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2010 10:56 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
On Aug 16, 9:07 am, wrote:
wrote in message

I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

??? Paint thinner should only be used in oil based paints. Acetone is a
paint remover, not an additive for latex paint. What kind of paint is it? If
it's latex, you should just dump it, get more, and DON'T add anything to it.

Its latex.
It costs about $75 / 5 gal so I'd rather not dump it.

Latex paint is an emulsion. Adding something like acetone may only help
to break it and it will not be recoverable. About the only thing you
can do is add water and stir it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2010 8:54 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

and when you go back to walmart to get more cause you ruined what you
had, get the KILZ brand paint. The colortime is junk.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

So what kind of paint is this? Oil base? Acrylic?

Adding paint thinner solvent to latex will make it curdle and cheezy.
Don't
ask how I know.

Yes, its latex.

You've ruined it by adding paint thinner and acetone. Go get more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 16, 8:54*am, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. *Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. *I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. *Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

Obviously this is latex paint. And obviously, there is something very
wrong with the batch you bought. If Walmart won't make good on it,
dispose of it per the common sense ways suggested above. While
distilled water is the best diluent for latex paints, many
professional painters use Floetrol (Google it) especially for cut in.
Floetrol works well to mitigate some spray painting problems, like
texture differences in overlapping application.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

LOllOOllllLLOL!!!!

And they actually trust you with a paint brush?

OMG, TOO FUNNY!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 9:07 am, "h" wrote:

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

[...]

Hey waitaminute, remember Thomas Huxley's admonition:

"There is no right way to do the wrong thing".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"Deodiaus" wrote in message

Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.
So what kind of paint is this? Oil base? Acrylic?

Adding paint thinner solvent to latex will make it curdle and cheezy.
Don't
ask how I know.

Yes, its latex.

You've ruined it by adding paint thinner and acetone. Go get more.

It's hard to imagine RUINING paint that came from Walmart, but I guess
if you really try.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 8:54 am, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

Obviously this is latex paint. And obviously, there is something very
wrong with the batch you bought.

??? No, there was nothing wrong with it. The OP added paint thinner (for oil
base paint only) and then acetone (paint remover) to latex paint. It was
user error that caused the problem. Why should WalMart have to make good on
it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 8:54 am, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

Obviously this is latex paint. And obviously, there is something very
wrong with the batch you bought.

??? No, there was nothing wrong with it. The OP added paint thinner (for
oil base paint only) and then acetone (paint remover) to latex paint. It
was user error that caused the problem. Why should WalMart have to make
good on it?

The actual writing makes it seem like he added the paint thinner AFTER
discovering that the paint was "cheezy". But it really doesn't matter. Since
we already know the guy is "challenged" (to be polite about it), the
original "cheezy" was most likely his fault for some other reason. He
probably left unfinished cans opened between uses because the dog voices in
his head told him paint loves fresh air as much as people do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 8:54*am, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. *Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. *I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. *Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

Although the English types have destroyed their written language by
removing "Z" (I think they spell Zoo with an "S" now)..adding this
letter to an otherwise normal word will get you negative points. JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 8:54*am, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. *Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. *I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. *Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

If you read the cans instructions you would have added water, instead
you ruined it. Its latex , its water base.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 12:45*pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

Thanks Joe Frank and Steve Barker,
Its Colorplace brand.
Well, I had two helpers doing the work.
I believe that they did not seal the cans tightly enough.
Instead of getting
you are the only guys here who provided some meaningful suggestions.
The rest just bust my ass because I was not attentive.
I was using the accetone last year to thin some other paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
The rest just bust my ass because I was not attentive.
I was using the accetone last year to thin some other paint.

Not attentive? Only a MORON adds oil-based solvents to latex paint. PLONK!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

There is nothing wrong with the paint...All paint will look like cottage
cheese if left open in 100 degree heat..Adding water won't help either and
paint thinner and acetone is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.That
is why they sell those little buckets so you can pour out just what you need
and the can stays covered...You really are a moron or a troll....Good God I
hope you aren't doing this to somebody else's home for pay....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
You really are a moron or a troll....Good God I
hope you aren't doing this to somebody else's home for pay....

Sounds like he is...that's why most of us have PLONKED him...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 12:45 pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

=============

You're the same twit who's trying to avoid spending the correct amount of
money for a refrigerator gasket. You should stay away from sharp instruments
and power tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"h" wrote:

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
You really are a moron or a troll....Good God I
hope you aren't doing this to somebody else's home for pay....

Sounds like he is...that's why most of us have PLONKED him...

Most of who? Yer the only bitch around here who plonks everyone and his
god damn brother. Whose fault is it that you haven't gotten any dick
since 1962? (queried the plonkee to the ether.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 7:48*pm, "benick" wrote:
"Deodiaus" wrote in message

[...]

Over many years and tons of paint my experiance is quality latex will
only thicken when exposed to heat, water restores it. What the OP did
ruins it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2010 8:03 AM Judi Haffner spake thus:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:56:28 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

On Aug 16, 9:07 am, "h" wrote:

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

??? Paint thinner should only be used in oil based paints. Acetone is a
paint remover, not an additive for latex paint. What kind of paint is it? If
it's latex, you should just dump it, get more, and DON'T add anything to it.

Its latex.
It costs about $75 / 5 gal so I'd rather not dump it.

Too late. It's ruined. It's also illegal to "dump". You need to set
the cans out opened, and let them evaporate until solid, and then put
in the trash.

They[1] make stuff you can put into a can of paint to harden it into a
gigantic solid lump. I've seen it at Home Despot.

[1] You know, the ones who put lights in refrigerators that go out when
you close the door, etc., etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/2010 4:24 PM Deodiaus spake thus:

Thanks Joe Frank and Steve Barker,
Its Colorplace brand.
Well, I had two helpers doing the work.
I believe that they did not seal the cans tightly enough.
Instead of getting
you are the only guys here who provided some meaningful suggestions.
The rest just bust my ass because I was not attentive.
I was using the accetone last year to thin some other paint.

That's probably another mistake on your part. The only thing you should
be adding acetone to would be lacquer, not any paints I know of that
aren't lacquer-based. Just use ordinary paint thinner for all oil-based
paints, and water for latex (as you now know).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Aug 16, 9:07 am, "h" wrote:

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

[...]

Kitty litter or old newspapers work fine. Or just leave the can open for
a week in warm weather.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boy, I've heard some dozies before.

You're not the sharpest knife in the
drawer, are ya? Mixing a solvent with
latex, a water based paint. WTF.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 12:49*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news
In article ,
(Paddy Waggin) wrote:

Boy, I've heard some dozies before.

You're not the sharpest knife in the
drawer, are ya? Mixing a solvent with
latex, a water based paint. WTF.?

That'd be "duesie," Mr. Sharp Knife. Short for Duesenberg, a fine
motorcar from yesteryear. An expression that without the sarcasm part
means, roughly, "unsurpassed" (in quality, style, luxury, etc.)

Be gentle. He's a webtv user. Who the f*ck still uses webtv???

It still qualifies as unsurpassed. "That was a duesie of a story the
kid told"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob Villa" wrote in message
On Aug 20, 12:49 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news
In article ,
(Paddy Waggin) wrote:

Boy, I've heard some dozies before.

You're not the sharpest knife in the
drawer, are ya? Mixing a solvent with
latex, a water based paint. WTF.?

That'd be "duesie," Mr. Sharp Knife. Short for Duesenberg, a fine
motorcar from yesteryear. An expression that without the sarcasm part
means, roughly, "unsurpassed" (in quality, style, luxury, etc.)

Be gentle. He's a webtv user. Who the f*ck still uses webtv???

It still qualifies as unsurpassed. "That was a duesie of a story the
kid told"!

===========

Right. But look at who the webtv twit addressed his remarks to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-20, Smitty Two wrote:

That'd be "duesie," Mr. Sharp Knife. Short for Duesenberg, a fine
motorcar from yesteryear. An expression that without the sarcasm part
means, roughly, "unsurpassed" (in quality, style, luxury, etc.)

Not necessarily:

doo·zy or doo·zie (dz)
n. pl. doo·zies Slang
Something extraordinary or bizar "Among the delicious names taken
by, or given to, minor political parties in the United States
.. . . are these doozies: Quids, Locofocos, Barnburners, Coodies,
Hunkies, Bucktails" (Saturday Review).

Further googling reveals:

"Certainly the vehicles were known as Duesies in the 1920s and
1930s. But --as you have discovered-- by the time Fred and August
Duesenberg manufactured their first car in 1920, the noun doozy was
already well established."

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-doo2.htm

At worst, it appears the poster is guilty only of poor spelling, and
maybe choosing webtv.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

On 2010-08-20, Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

Yeah, thanks, I don't need google to tell me the etymology of the word.
The trouble with the common misspellings of the word, is that they
obscure the etymology, thereby decimating its meaning. And, I wouldn't
have picked on his spelling, if he'd at least spelled it in some way
that would have left the pronunciation intact, rather than changing it
to a long "o" sound. And, if he hadn't posted solely to disparage
someone else's knowledge, while displaying his own ignorance.

But, I'm tilting at windmills, of course. Most people these days can't
tell the difference between "lose" and "loose," or figure out that
"advise" is a verb and "advice" is a noun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,

On 2010-08-20, Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

If someone wanted to produce a reality show that would actually be
worthwhile, it would be easy. Load 100 homes with cameras in every room so
we could see WTF parents were doing while their kids were butchering their
writing assignments (while watching TV). I'd guess the majority would be
ignoring their kids.

How hard is it to help kids learn? Answer: Not hard at all. Tedious, maybe,
but not hard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 10:05*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,

On 2010-08-20, Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

At this point, though, the parents can't write, either.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Aug 20, 10:05 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,

On 2010-08-20, Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

=======

Agreed. Want to see something terrifying (and nauseating)? Read a dozen of
the messages he
http://rochester.craigslist.org/rnr/

Not sure if we're seeing both the chicken and the egg in those messages.
Probably some of both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is the twit that has a WEBTV.

Thanks for all the flames, guys. I will admit I had them coming. Can you
imagine using a WTV? OMG. But wait,
it's free, never freezes up, has firewall protection, never can get a
virus, has most of the benefits of an older `puter, and on and on...

I'm only 78, but I bet I've forgotten more **** than you guys will ever
know....

Yes it is sad that I'm on WTV. And I can see that I can get slammed
pretty good in the ng's, still.... FYI, I meant no harm to the O.P.
Maybe a bad choice of words on my part... :-( But, give me a break...
I've only been on the net for 15 years. And you? Loose, Lost, Lose...
heh heh.

BTW... what is cheeze?

Paddy... rock on doods. ;-)