Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Colortime paint turning into cheeze

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,

On 2010-08-20, Smitty Two wrote:

That'd be "duesie," Mr. Sharp Knife. Short for Duesenberg, a fine
motorcar from yesteryear. An expression that without the sarcasm part
means, roughly, "unsurpassed" (in quality, style, luxury, etc.)

Not necessarily:

doo·zy or doo·zie (dz)
n. pl. doo·zies Slang
Something extraordinary or bizar "Among the delicious names taken
by, or given to, minor political parties in the United States
. . . are these doozies: Quids, Locofocos, Barnburners, Coodies,
Hunkies, Bucktails" (Saturday Review).

Further googling reveals:

"Certainly the vehicles were known as Duesies in the 1920s and
1930s. But --as you have discovered-- by the time Fred and August
Duesenberg manufactured their first car in 1920, the noun doozy was
already well established."

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-doo2.htm

At worst, it appears the poster is guilty only of poor spelling, and
maybe choosing webtv.

nb

Yeah, thanks, I don't need google to tell me the etymology of the word.
The trouble with the common misspellings of the word, is that they
obscure the etymology, thereby decimating its meaning. And, I wouldn't
have picked on his spelling, if he'd at least spelled it in some way
that would have left the pronunciation intact, rather than changing it
to a long "o" sound. And, if he hadn't posted solely to disparage
someone else's knowledge, while displaying his own ignorance.

But, I'm tilting at windmills, of course. Most people these days can't
tell the difference between "lose" and "loose," or figure out that
"advise" is a verb and "advice" is a noun.

If someone wanted to produce a reality show that would actually be
worthwhile, it would be easy. Load 100 homes with cameras in every room so
we could see WTF parents were doing while their kids were butchering their
writing assignments (while watching TV). I'd guess the majority would be
ignoring their kids.

How hard is it to help kids learn? Answer: Not hard at all. Tedious, maybe,
but not hard.