Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Colortime paint turning into cheeze

On 8/16/2010 8:03 AM Judi Haffner spake thus:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:56:28 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

On Aug 16, 9:07 am, "h" wrote:

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart.
I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks.
I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there
something I can do to make the paint's consistency better?
Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a
big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe
the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days
here.

??? Paint thinner should only be used in oil based paints. Acetone is a
paint remover, not an additive for latex paint. What kind of paint is it? If
it's latex, you should just dump it, get more, and DON'T add anything to it.

Its latex.
It costs about $75 / 5 gal so I'd rather not dump it.

Too late. It's ruined. It's also illegal to "dump". You need to set
the cans out opened, and let them evaporate until solid, and then put
in the trash.

They[1] make stuff you can put into a can of paint to harden it into a
gigantic solid lump. I've seen it at Home Despot.

[1] You know, the ones who put lights in refrigerators that go out when
you close the door, etc., etc.