Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner Outside Condenser Cover Question

High,

Live in New England.
Lots of snow in winter.

Re a house air conditioner I have just had installed, where the A/C's
Condenser unit is, of course, located outside.

Do most folks put a cover of some sort over it in the winter ?

Or, just let the snow and rain fall thru the grill on the top and to the
bottom ?

Was wondering, if a cover is used, about condensation, etc.

What do most folks do ?

Thanks,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:15:28 -0400, Bob wrote:

Re a house air conditioner I have just had installed, where the A/C's
Condenser unit is, of course, located outside.

Follow what the contractor told you. And any warranty.

If you get really nervous in the winter lay a sheet of plywood on the
condenser grill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 5:02*pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:15:28 -0400, Bob wrote:
Re a house air conditioner I have just had installed, where the A/C's
Condenser unit is, of course, located outside.

Follow what the contractor told you. And any warranty.

If you get really nervous in the winter lay a sheet of plywood on the
condenser grill.

Often, dealers may try to sell you a custom cover that envelopes the
entire condenser. Covering the top is your best bet to prevent
moisture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 5:15*pm, Bob wrote:
High,

Live in New England.
Lots of snow in winter.

Re a house air conditioner I have just had installed, where the A/C's
Condenser unit is, of course, located outside.

Do most folks put a cover of some sort over it in the winter ?

Or, just let the snow and rain fall thru the grill on the top and to the
bottom ?

Was wondering, if a cover is used, about condensation, etc.

What do most folks do ?

Thanks,

Hundreds of millions of people do nothing. The moving parts wear out
long before corrosion becomes an issue. I have one that 20 years old
now and it's got a bit of rust here and there but nothing worth
bothering about. Unless you live on the coast and then the salt gets
them while you are using it anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jane" wrote

Hundreds of millions of people do nothing. The moving parts wear out
long before corrosion becomes an issue. I have one that 20 years old
now and it's got a bit of rust here and there but nothing worth
bothering about. Unless you live on the coast and then the salt gets
them while you are using it anyway.

Exactly. If it sits in a place where something can fall on it, like a huge
icicle, put a piece of plywood on the top, but leave the sides open for
ventilation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 8:23*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Jane" wrote

Hundreds of millions of people do nothing. *The moving parts wear out
long before corrosion becomes an issue. *I have one that 20 years old
now and it's got a bit of rust here and there but nothing worth
bothering about. *Unless you live on the coast and then the salt gets
them while you are using it anyway.

Exactly. If it sits in a place where something can fall on it, like a huge
icicle, put a piece of plywood on the top, but leave the sides open for
ventilation.

I have a 'gable roof' lid I put on mine. Not for rain/snow, etc. but
to keep crud out of it in the off season. If I didn't have that it
would be full of leaves.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
High,

Live in New England.
Lots of snow in winter.

Re a house air conditioner I have just had installed, where the A/C's
Condenser unit is, of course, located outside.

Do most folks put a cover of some sort over it in the winter ?

Or, just let the snow and rain fall thru the grill on the top and to the
bottom ?

Was wondering, if a cover is used, about condensation, etc.

What do most folks do ?

Thanks,

I put a garbage bag around mine secured with an old bike inner tube..
Then a metal box on top of that
just because I had the metal around and needed some spot welding practice.
Cut a hole in the plastic on the house side under the eave so it could
breathe.
Keeps all the pine needles out in the fall/winter.

And a big sticker on the breaker reminding me not to turn it on
without removing the cover.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lay boards (trashcan cover?) over the top. Couple rocks on the boards.
Leave the sides open. Remember to uncover before using the AC.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus