Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Default Weber barbecue: Regulator prevents full temperature unless you play withmain value

The one thing I hate about my 1-year-old Weber grill is that you have to
open the main propane valve very carefully or the regulator will kick
into some sort of safety or limiter mode and the grill temperature will
never get higher than 325f.

Is this a known problem with these grills?

It there a solution - from Weber?

The grill is a Weber Genesis:

http://www.stainless-steel-grills.co..._3742301XA.jpg
Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Sum Guy" wrote in message ...
The one thing I hate about my 1-year-old Weber grill is that you have to
open the main propane valve very carefully or the regulator will kick
into some sort of safety or limiter mode and the grill temperature will
never get higher than 325f.

Is this a known problem with these grills?

It there a solution - from Weber?

The grill is a Weber Genesis:

http://www.stainless-steel-grills.co..._3742301XA.jpg

Please go to the Weber web site, locate the online (PDF format) user's
manual, and give us the link so we can read the appropriate section. Then we
can answer your question.

You used the words "some sort of safety....", which suggests something to
me. That's why I want to see the instructions.

:-)

Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

you have to open the main propane valve very carefully or the
regulator will kick into some sort of safety or limiter mode
and the grill temperature will never get higher than 325f.

Please go to the Weber web site, locate the online (PDF format)
user's manual, and give us the link so we can read the
appropriate section. Then we can answer your question.

http://weber.com/help/manuals/pdf_fi...479_082208.pdf

I suspect the problem is in the regulator (the diaphram-shaped thing
that's part of the connection fitting that screws into the propane
tank).

There is no useful reference to the regulator in the manual, except in
the safety warning on page 2.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c128...d27af49df4.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:07:12 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Please go to the Weber web site, locate the online (PDF format) user's
manual, and give us the link so we can read the appropriate section. Then we
can answer your question.

You used the words "some sort of safety....", which suggests something to
me. That's why I want to see the instructions.

:-)

Now you did it! How could you have the balls to tell him to read the
manual. I'm guessing he probably doesn't care about safety and
reading the manual is not part of his plan. p-)
Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Sum Guy" wrote in message ...
The one thing I hate about my 1-year-old Weber grill is that you have to
open the main propane valve very carefully or the regulator will kick
into some sort of safety or limiter mode and the grill temperature will
never get higher than 325f.

Is this a known problem with these grills?

It there a solution - from Weber?

The grill is a Weber Genesis:

http://www.stainless-steel-grills.co..._3742301XA.jpg

Is the tank full or nearly so? This is a common problem with the OPD tanks.
If you open the valve too fast, the surge will cause the float inside to
restrict the opening. It is not a Weber problem, but a tank design
"feature" intended to be a safety device. In most cases, once you've used
about 1/4 of the tank the problem goes away.

Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Is the tank full or nearly so? This is a common problem with the
OPD tanks. If you open the valve too fast, the surge will cause
the float inside to restrict the opening. It is not a Weber
problem, but a tank design "feature" intended to be a safety
device. In most cases, once you've used about 1/4 of the tank
the problem goes away.

This didn't happen on the first tank that I used on this grill, but it
is happening on the next two tanks (I'm on the third tank). And it
doesn't seem to matter if the tank is full, 3/4 full or almost empty.

I got the 2'nd and 3'rd tank from the same place - not the same place as
the first tank.
Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:09:24 -0400, Sum Guy wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Is the tank full or nearly so? This is a common problem with the
OPD tanks. If you open the valve too fast, the surge will cause
the float inside to restrict the opening. It is not a Weber

Does hitting it make the float go back to where it was?

problem, but a tank design "feature" intended to be a safety
device. In most cases, once you've used about 1/4 of the tank
the problem goes away.

This didn't happen on the first tank that I used on this grill, but it
is happening on the next two tanks (I'm on the third tank). And it
doesn't seem to matter if the tank is full, 3/4 full or almost empty.

I got the 2'nd and 3'rd tank from the same place - not the same place as
the first tank.

Maybe you need to buy from the guy who sells defective tanks.

Safety is the curse of modernity. Like those stupid things that make
the lawnmower turn off when you let go of it. What do they think I've
driving, a locomotive. I alwasys wire the things so the mower stays
on.
Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

In article , Sum Guy wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Is the tank full or nearly so? This is a common problem with the
OPD tanks. If you open the valve too fast, the surge will cause
the float inside to restrict the opening. It is not a Weber
problem, but a tank design "feature" intended to be a safety
device. In most cases, once you've used about 1/4 of the tank
the problem goes away.

This didn't happen on the first tank that I used on this grill, but it
is happening on the next two tanks (I'm on the third tank). And it
doesn't seem to matter if the tank is full, 3/4 full or almost empty.

I got the 2'nd and 3'rd tank from the same place - not the same place as
the first tank.

What "tanks" you be talking about? The manual you linked to was for a
natural gas grill.
Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 7:00*pm, Sum Guy wrote:
The one thing I hate about my 1-year-old Weber grill is that you have to
open the main propane valve very carefully or the regulator will kick
into some sort of safety or limiter mode and the grill temperature will
never get higher than 325f.

Is this a known problem with these grills?

It there a solution - from Weber?

The grill is a Weber Genesis:

http://www.stainless-steel-grills.co...823109_WeberGe...

Howdy. My CharBroil comes with the same warning. I guess you just
have to be careful. What do you have to do to reset yours? Mine
calls for disconnecting the gas tank and doing it again. This is a
feature of the regulator and I assume all modern regulators.
Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:00:19 -0400, Sum Guy wrote:

The one thing I hate about my 1-year-old Weber grill is that you have to
open the main propane valve very carefully or the regulator will kick
into some sort of safety or limiter mode and the grill temperature will
never get higher than 325f.

I suspect a faulty regulator.

Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

What "tanks" you be talking about? The manual you linked to was for
a natural gas grill.

My mistake. Here is the correct manual:

http://weber.com/help/manuals/pdf_fi...478_092409.pdf

There are many more references to a "regulator", but the most useful
appear in the troubleshooting section on page 17:

---------------
Symptoms:
Burners do not light. -or- Burners have a small flickering flame in the
HI position. -or- Barbecue temperature only reaches 250 to 300 in the HI
position.

Check:
The excess flow safety device, which is part of the barbecue to cylinder
connection, may have activated.

Cu
To reset the excess flow safety device turn all burner control knobs and
the cylinder valve off. Disconnect the regulator from the cylinder. Turn
burner control knobs to “HI”. Wait at least 1 minute. Turn burner
control knobs to “OFF”. Reconnect the regulator to the cylinder. Turn
cylinder valve on slowly. Refer to “Lighting Instructions”.
---------------

This is a pain in the ass when it becomes the default or standard way
that the grill has to be operated all the time.

Does anyone else have this problem with their Weber grill?

See also:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r203...Grill-Problems

---------------
Since 1995 all regulators (the part that attaches to the gas tank to
regulate the flow of gas) have included a safety device that restricts
the flow of gas in the event of a gas leak. This safety device can be
inadvertently activated in two ways, putting the grill into what is
commonly called “bypass”. The first way for the device to be activated
is to leave one or more burner control knobs in the “ON” position when
the LP cylinder valve is opened. The second is not to wait long enough
to “start” the grill after opening the LP cylinder valve. The safety
device in the regulator is activated each time that the LP cylinder
valve is opened. The device resets itself when the gas pressure
equalizes between the closed burner control valve and the regulator,
through the hose. If a burner control knob is turned on before the gas
pressure can equalize, the device will remain in “bypass”. The length of
time necessary to wait to “start” the grill after turning on the LP
cylinder valve is dependent on the length of the hose and outside air
temperature. It is always good practice to wait a few seconds after
opening the LP cylinder valve before turning on the burner control knob
to start the grill.
---------------

Also

--------------
My weber grill did this about a year after buying it. Contacted them via
email support, explained I tried all their troubleshooting, and they
sent out a new regulator, hose and manifold which did the trick.
--------------

So it looks like I'm going to contact Weber and get a new regulator.
The best I've seen it do is to get to 450f in 15 minutes - not 500f in 2
minutes.
Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Sum Guy" wrote in message ...
Smitty Two wrote:

What "tanks" you be talking about? The manual you linked to was for
a natural gas grill.

My mistake. Here is the correct manual:

http://weber.com/help/manuals/pdf_fi...478_092409.pdf

There are many more references to a "regulator", but the most useful
appear in the troubleshooting section on page 17:

Let us know what you find out when you call Weber. They're very helpful on
the phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-11, mm wrote:

Safety is the curse of modernity.

.....and the province of lawyers.

Like those stupid things that make the lawnmower turn off when you
let go of it. What do they think I've driving, a locomotive. I
alwasys wire the things so the mower stays on.

It's not to protect you, but to protect the lawn mower manufacturer
from brain dead users. Dummy dad walks off and leaves the mower
running and baby rugrat crawls over to retrieve the ball he thinks
rolled under the running mower and retracts a bloody stump. Dummy dad
promptly sues the **** out of the lawn mower company. If the lawn
mower company doesn't fold after paying through the ass, it then adds
annoying as Hell shut-off bar to protect itself from dumber'n dust
lawn mower buyers. Other dummy dads wire/tape bar, defeating its
safety function and more mayhem ensues, but at least now the lawn
mower company can say, "Screw you, numb nuts. We put a safety bar on
that mower!".

Makes perfect sense to me.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:

Safety is the curse of modernity.

....and the province of lawyers.

It's not to protect you, but to protect the lawn mower
manufacturer from brain dead users.

The reason why air travel is such a hassle, why we must practically be
sterile and naked and take almost nothing on-board with us, is to
satisfy the insurance industry.

AIG (the insurance company that was too big to fail) was bailed out
because it insured over half the world's air travel industry. If that
company had folded, world-wide air travel would have practically
stopped.

The insurance industry demanded that world gov'ts impliment increasingly
onerous and restrictive requirements on passengers, to the point that
you are basically surrendering many constitutional rights when you're at
an airport (searches, no-fly lists, the ability to travel anonymously,
etc) as a condition for continuing to provide insurance for the
carriers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sum Guy" wrote in message ...

The insurance industry demanded that world gov'ts impliment increasingly
onerous and restrictive requirements on passengers, to the point that
you are basically surrendering many constitutional rights when you're at
an airport (searches, no-fly lists, the ability to travel anonymously,
etc)........

That's a good thing. Nobody has a "right" to use any particular method of
transportation. The onerous methods should be increased. All airports and
all airlines should do things like the Israelis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-11, Sum Guy wrote:
notbob wrote:

Safety is the curse of modernity.

....and the province of lawyers.

The reason why air travel is such a hassle, why we must practically be
sterile and naked and take almost nothing on-board with us, is to
satisfy the insurance industry.

Well, of course. That's lawyers, province II. Lawyers protecting
their insurance company clients from other lawyers out to sue anything
that moves.

nb
Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Sum Guy wrote:
The one thing I hate about my 1-year-old Weber grill is that you have to
open the main propane valve very carefully or the regulator will kick
into some sort of safety or limiter mode and the grill temperature will
never get higher than 325f.

Is this a known problem with these grills?

It there a solution - from Weber?

The grill is a Weber Genesis:

http://www.stainless-steel-grills.co..._3742301XA.jpg

Common problem with the newer safety tanks. It thinks there is a gas
leak. Try turning the gas valves on slowly.

Probably the same guy designed that as the stupid vent free gasoline
cans. I've spilled more gasoline in a couple years than I ever spilled
with the old style.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:51:48 -0400, Sum Guy wrote:

notbob wrote:

Safety is the curse of modernity.

I was either kidding here or only talking mower saftety devices and
selected other things.

While I'm sure insurance companies make mistakes, including big ones,
the requirements for insurance and the inspections that insurance
companies require are more thorough and more effective than what
government is able to do, and by far, not just on airlines. And it's
better for a private organization to be applying such rules than for
the goverment to make laws and regulations about all these things.
For one thing, it's much easier for insurance companies to change
them, including eliminate them, when the situation changes, that it is
for any part of the government.

As far as air travel, it would be hard to prove there is a
constitutional right to do it. The problem is that since there are
wicked people in the world, no set of rules provides both universal
freedom and universal saftety can exist. I'm not exhibitionist, but
if they wanted me, along with all the passengers, to be naked so that
everyone in the airport could see me, it would be worth it to not get
bombed to deeath. I couldn't care less if 2 or 3 people see an image
of me. It's not like these rules were imposed before there was
trouble.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

notbob wrote:

[...]

This is amazing. The grill is designed to prevent you from filling it
up with gas before you light it. Simply turn off the burners before
you turn on the gas and you will have full burn your steak temps!
Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:19:38 -0400, Tony
wrote:

Probably the same guy designed that as the stupid vent free gasoline
cans. I've spilled more gasoline in a couple years than I ever spilled
with the old style.

Why don't they have vents anymore?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

This is amazing. The grill is designed to prevent you from filling it
up with gas before you light it. Simply turn off the burners before
you turn on the gas and you will have full burn your steak temps!

===================

8 million messages later and the OP has yet to pick up a friggin' phone and
call Weber, whose support service is terrific. What a moron. And you're
right. What he's describing as a problem is actually a safety feature.

Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
Tony wrote

Probably the same guy designed that as the stupid vent free gasoline
cans. I've spilled more gasoline in a couple years than I ever
spilled with the old style.

Why don't they have vents anymore?

Because that supposedly ****s the environment.

Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Probably the same guy designed that as the stupid vent free gasoline
cans. I've spilled more gasoline in a couple years than I ever spilled
with the old style.

Why don't they have vents anymore?

Actually they had *different* vents. The vent came out the nozzle next
to the gasoline. From what I read it was to prevent over filling fuel
tanks. When the fuel reached the vent it would block it so no more air
could go into the can, and supposedly that would stop any more fuel from
coming out. Right, a plastic gas can without a vent? The sides bend in
and fuel still comes out. Then it gurgles and spits out another cup or
so on the mower and/or ground. I really wish I knew what moron approved
that style container.

They did stop making that type. I'm not sure what is mandatory now (for
new containers).
Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 04:37:44 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

mm wrote:
Tony wrote

Probably the same guy designed that as the stupid vent free gasoline
cans. I've spilled more gasoline in a couple years than I ever
spilled with the old style.

Why don't they have vents anymore?

Because that supposedly ****s the environment.

But the vents had caps, so you wouldn't lose gas when the gas can was
just sitting.

Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Aug 13, 2:42*pm, mm wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 04:37:44 +1000, "Rod Speed"

wrote:
mm wrote:
Tony wrote

Probably the same guy designed that as the stupid vent free gasoline
cans. *I've spilled more gasoline in a couple years than I ever
spilled with the old style.

Why don't they have vents anymore?

Because that supposedly ****s the environment.

But the vents had caps, so you wouldn't lose gas when the gas can was
just sitting.

==
But they don't care...THEY know what is right. Who cares if you can't
pour gas from it?...as long as there is no vent. Bloody idiots.
==

Posted to alt.consumers.experiences,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

mm wrote
Rod Speed wrote
mm wrote
Tony wrote

Probably the same guy designed that as the stupid vent free
gasoline cans. I've spilled more gasoline in a couple years than
I ever spilled with the old style.

Why don't they have vents anymore?

Because that supposedly ****s the environment.

But the vents had caps, so you wouldn't lose gas when the gas can was just sitting.

Trouble was that the user couldnt be relied on to keep using the caps.

I'm not saying it made any sense, just saying thats how it came about.