Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are BOX fans dangerous????

I have, for several years. The box fan in my living room that blows
towards the AC.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Teredo"
wrote in message news
And you cannot
effectively lubricate permanently lubed bearings on a box fan motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early 80's
that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I was at
the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early 80's
that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I was at
the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Which just stir inside air.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 12:29*pm, "spud42" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in messagenews:loadnSvqNK8vZsPRnZ2dnUVZ_oidnZ2d@gigan ews.com...

"jimmy" wrote in message
I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one
of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info
regarding this??

Anything with a motor is a potential fire hazard. These are generally
cheaply made, but I've not heard of any particular hazard from them. *Did he
give any details as to why? *I've used them for years and never had a
problem, nor have I hear of any others. *But . . . . *I did a quick search
and found this
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06085.html
Name of Product: Lasko, General Electric, Galaxy, and Air King Brand Box and
Pivoting Floor Fans

Units: About 5.6 million

Manufacturer: Lasko Products Inc., of West Chester, Pa.

Hazard: An electrical failure in the motor can pose a fire hazard to
consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Lasko has received 42 reports of fires possibly
associated with motor failures, with seven reports of injuries, including
burns and smoke inhalation. At least eight of the reported fires resulted in
extensive property damage.

and General Electric fans manufactured between January 1999 and July 2001,
and sold through February 2004. Styles and model numbers of recalled fans,
which are either stamped or on a label on the bottom of the fans, are listed
below:

I knew a family who died in a house fire caused by a box fan
The firemen told their relatives That a box fan is not a window fan
Even though thats where it mostly ends up
a little rain and they rust up and the enamel wears away

a quick search

UNITED STATES
CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION

*The insulating enamel on the windings
may have broken down
*and caused sparking and arcing.resulting in overheating
thermally protected motor or a impedance-protected motor.
*as the varnish *broke down and temperature on the winding rose,
the protection failed to keep the windings from *erupting in flames
A contributing factor to portable fan-related fires or potential fires was the presence of
plastic materials. *When a fan with plastic blades, motor housing or enclosure overheated or
caught fire, the plastic reportedly would melt and drip onto combustible materials such as carpet,
clothing, bedding, paper, etc.

: The incident data show that the second largest number
of incidents was related to the power-supply cords.
The current power-supply cord requirements for portable electric fans allow SP-1, SP-2,
SPT-1 and SPT-2 type constructions. *These single-layer-insulation types of cords are not
sufficient to prevent damage as described
*According to AHAM, imported portable fans represent more than 75 percent of
all portable fans sold in the U.S., and China is the major exporting country of these products
Information concerning safety
standards on the fans, cords, or plugs was also very limited. *For example, only 63 involved fans
or cords were identified as UL Listed;
Spud- Hide quoted text -

A very good, believable report on somehting that _could_ have happened
with no apparent evidence that it did.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 2:43*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 13:27:27 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/8/2010 12:52 PM, jimmy wrote:
I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told
me one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you
have any info regarding this??

ya, i had one tell me 90% of house fires are from computer monitors.
They say what sounds good at the time.

100 percent of house fires are caused by ignition of combustable materials,
that is a FACT.

and 100% irrelevent

About as revelent as the reports that have been cited that are laced
with "could have happened" "might have happened" etc.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 12:20*am, Harry K wrote:

About as revelent as the reports that have been cited that are laced
with "could have happened" "might have happened" etc.

http://exactproductsinc.com/WordPress/?cat=2

Would you like a bib with that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Noahbuddy wrote:
"jimmy" wrote in
:

I recently had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

You should have asked why.

I don't like box fans but I have a Chink made 12 inch oscillating fan.
I think I paid 12 dollars for it at a Dollar General store and it's
now 10 years old. I run it on low 24/7. I remember when I got it the
metal fan guard seemed rather heavy so instead of putting it on the fan
I used the guard for a spark arrester on the Chimminia instead of
putting it on the fan.
My thoughts on the whole thing?
For me the highest risk is probably like most Americans my age, heart
attack/stroke cancer, car accident from texting or messing with the GPS
while driving, pit bull attack, drowning in bathtub, gun shot caused by
flashing wrong gang signal when going into Sav-a-lot or 7-11,
electrocution from using drill with bare feet in water puddle, drinking
bug poison or Texaco antifreeze instead of orange soda, drinking Toyota
antifreeze instead of strawberry soda, tripping over sleeping dog and
hitting my head on the sharp corner of old computer sitting on the floor
awaiting repair, getting crushed to death by runaway scooter with fat
lady on it at walmart.
All in all these things should be addressed before worrying about a
box fan bursting into flames, probably a little common sense and thumb
tacking the curtain back when using a box fan would go a long ways
toward solving the flaming box fan crisis.
FWIW the 10 leading causes of death, (this has a lot to do with age)
http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/causes.html
100 years ago communicable diseases headed the list. Maybe box fans will
head the
list in another 50 or 100 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 12:52*pm, "jimmy" wrote:
I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one of
the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info
regarding this??

My experience FWIW with box fans: we have many (dozens) in our
facility (inadequate AC) and all are Chinese. Many have gummed-up
over the years and they will sit and either start going after they
have heated the lube or just hum. I haven't had one smoke or over-
heat. Bath room exhaust fans seize and over-heat. Many of these box
fans are very low HP and can be stopped (jammed) and not over-heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told
me one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do
you have any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early
80's that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I
was at the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Ceiling fans have an induction motor the same as most any household fan.
So if it's the motor you fear take a look up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If anyone is really interested in anything more than flapping their
gums, the URL is for a 2003 Consumer Products Safety Commission report
on this very subject.
http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA03/os/portfan.pdf

There were an estimated 4,500 fires associated with portable electric
fans from 1990 through 1998. These fires resulted in more than 20
deaths, 270 injuries, and about $55 million in property loss.

Staff reviewed 243 fan-related In-Depth Investigations (IDIs),
conducted from January 1, 1990 through April 12, 2001. These IDIs
included those in which the identified hazard was fire (210), potential
fire (16), electrocution (12), electric shock (3), and electrical
hazards (2).

reported sales of portable electric fans have been in the
range of 17 to 20 million per year with an average life expectancy of
fans is 12 years. Based on this information, staff estimates there are
about 200 to 240 million portable fans in use in U.S. households.
Thus the odds don't seem all that good.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...

If anyone is really interested in anything more than flapping their
gums, the URL is for a 2003 Consumer Products Safety Commission report
on this very subject.
http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA03/os/portfan.pdf

There were an estimated 4,500 fires associated with portable electric
fans from 1990 through 1998. These fires resulted in more than 20
deaths, 270 injuries, and about $55 million in property loss.

Staff reviewed 243 fan-related In-Depth Investigations (IDIs),
conducted from January 1, 1990 through April 12, 2001. These IDIs
included those in which the identified hazard was fire (210), potential
fire (16), electrocution (12), electric shock (3), and electrical
hazards (2).

While the danger is probably there, the numbers are very low. That are
about 500 fires a year and 2 deaths. Check out how many car accidents that
result in death in a single year. Somewhere around 40,000. Not to count
the number of accidents that result in injuries and money cost.

You are more likely to die just going to the store to get the fan than for
it to cause a fire or death.
It is even estimated that about 50 to 100 deaths each year are caused by
peanuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 6:42*am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
[...]

peanuts.- Hide quoted text -

I wonder how those 243 incidens compare with other hazards such
kitchen fires started by leaving stuff on the stove, other small
electrical appliances, etc.

From what I am seeing the "Oh My God! Get rid of yur box fan!" crap
is a tempest in a tea pot.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

I wonder how those 243 incidens compare with other hazards such
kitchen fires started by leaving stuff on the stove, other small
electrical appliances, etc.

From what I am seeing the "Oh My God! Get rid of yur box fan!" crap
is a tempest in a tea pot.

Harry K

You can read about it he
http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files//PD...gfactsheet.pdf

About 500 deaths from kitchen fires per year and 4600 injuries and $ 756
million in property damage.

Guess we will quit cooking and eat out. Oops can not do that because of
death by automobile. Just quit eating. Sure hope that death rate is lower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 9:11*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Was that the box fan kicked over by Mrs. O'Leary's cow?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nope, but I heard that Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked the bucket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Teredo wrote in news

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who
told me one of the causes of fires in a home are these box
fans...do you have any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early
80's that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while
I was at the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Ceiling fans have an induction motor the same as most any household
fan. So if it's the motor you fear take a look up.

a ceiling fan motor is probably built more robustly than a cheap box fan
motor. CF's are made to be installed "permanently",and thus made better
than a throwaway $20 box fan.
It's also away from physical abuse that a floor fan may suffer,no getting
knocked over,stuff spilled on it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early 80's
that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I was at
the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Which just stir inside air.

Harry K

Ever heard of wind chill?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told
me one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do
you have any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early
80's that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I
was at the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Ceiling fans have an induction motor the same as most any household fan.
So if it's the motor you fear take a look up.

I don't "fear" anything. I was stating a fact about a fire that
started with a box fan that I owned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

I've seen many of them burst into flame
Posted to alt.home.repair

In , Steve Barker wrote:

I'm just saying in all my years and all my fans, i've never seen one
smoke or flame. And yes, i'd say my life experience is just as good as
some lying insurance adjusters.

I have seen two box fans smoke and one of them flame so far in my life.
In both cases, they gave advance warning by slowing down. In both cases,
the culprit appeared to be the motor being gummed up by dust. Both cases
were back in the 1970's.

In a third case, I restored a fan that was beginning to show signs of
trouble. What I did was disassemble the motor, clean out gummy dusty
gunk, and reassemble it. That was back around 1980, when plenty of fan
motors that were disassemblable were still around.

Dust is sometimes sticky, especially in places where frying is done.
Frying with soybean oil can lead to gummy sticky dust, since films and
small droplets of soybean oil oxidize into some sort of gum.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 11:46*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
a ceiling fan motor is probably built more robustly than a cheap box fan
motor.

"probably????"

In other words, you don't know. You have no idea. So what was your
point again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-09, wrote:
notbob wrote:

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

I've seen many of them burst into flame

I'll be more specific. You're a lying sack of sh*t!!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-09, Don Klipstein wrote:

I have seen two box fans smoke and one of them flame so far in my life.
In both cases, they gave advance warning by slowing down.

DUH!!

You run any mechanical/electrical device to death with no care or
maintenance and it's bound to die a painful/flaming death.

Am I missing something, here, or are a whole buncha complete morons
claiming to be blatantly negligent and then saying, "I told you so"?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:14:52 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early 80's
that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I was at
the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Which just stir inside air.

Harry K

That's all BOX fans do when used properly too - they are NOT window
fans. Using them as such is a misuse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-09, AZ Nomad wrote:

Do yo~ h@v# som# !ns@n# not!on th@t r#pl@c!ng th# vow#ls w!th
p~nct~@t!on m@k#s @ny f~ck!ng d!ff#r#nc#?

Do you really give a fsck?

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-09, AZ Nomad wrote:

Do yo~ h@v# som# !ns@n# not!on th@t r#pl@c!ng th# vow#ls w!th
p~nct~@t!on m@k#s @ny f~ck!ng d!ff#r#nc#?

Do you really give a fsck?

**** yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-09, AZ Nomad wrote:

**** yes.

I'm happy for you.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
[...]

That's interesting. It's all portable fans, including those designed as
window fans.

Several cases seem to remain mysteries. There's soot but no other
evidence of overheating. There's evidence of overheating, but the motor
turns freely.

Fans are supposed to be protected from overheating in the event of a
locked rotor, and the ones tested have worked.

Cords are often the problem. Some people I know will continue to use a
cord when there's a warm spot.

It looks as if most problems would be minor of there were an adult
present to smell trouble and unplug the fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early 80's
that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I was at
the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Which just stir inside air.

Harry K

*That's all BOX fans do when used properly too - they are NOT window
fans. Using them as such is a misuse.- Hide quoted text -

Says who?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 9:28*am, Ron wrote:

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early 80's
that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I was at
the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Which just stir inside air.

Harry K

Ever heard of wind chill?- Hide quoted text -

Yep, I use it all summer long. Turn on the furnace fan and let it run
keeps the AC from kicking in for hours. Much more effective than my
ceiling fan. Then the 20" box fan blowing down the hall sucks in the
evening cool air.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...

If anyone is really interested in anything more than flapping their
gums, the URL is for a 2003 Consumer Products Safety Commission report
on this very subject.
http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA03/os/portfan.pdf

What, rely on something like facts and figures when there are personal
anecdotes to post? Consider actual evidence rather than personal opinion?
You must be new to Usenet. ;~)

Didn't take long for the predictable response--"Oh yeah well there's other
stuff that kills even more people, so there."

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 10, 12:26*am, Harry K wrote:
On Aug 9, 9:28*am, Ron wrote:

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early 80's
that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I was at
the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Which just stir inside air.

Harry K

Ever heard of wind chill?

Yep, I use it all summer long. *Turn on the furnace fan and let it run
keeps the AC from kicking in for hours. *Much more effective than my
ceiling fan. *Then the 20" box fan blowing down the hall sucks in the
evening cool air.

Harry K

Move to FL and see how that works for ya.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 9:28*am, Ron wrote:

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early 80's
that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I was at
the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Which just stir inside air.

Harry K

Ever heard of wind chill?

Yep, I use it all summer long. *Turn on the furnace fan and let it run
keeps the AC from kicking in for hours. *Much more effective than my
ceiling fan. *Then the 20" box fan blowing down the hall sucks in the
evening cool air.

Harry K

Move to FL and see how that works for ya.- Hide quoted text -

So you ignore the part that works for me and you think you made a
point? FWIW I spent years in Texas and a couple of summers in the
humid, hot DC area. Box fans were a survival tool at night.

Glad to hear that you are convinced that overhead fans are the only
thing that is useable.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 7:21*am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

I wonder how those 243 incidens compare with other hazards such
kitchen fires started by leaving stuff on the stove, *other small
electrical appliances, etc.
From what I am seeing the "Oh My God! *Get rid of yur box fan!" crap
is a tempest in a tea pot.
Harry K

You can read about it hehttp://www.nfpa.org/assets/files//PD...gfactsheet.pdf

About 500 deaths from kitchen fires per year and 4600 injuries and $ 756
million in property damage.

Guess we will quit cooking and eat out. *Oops can not do that because of
death by automobile. *Just quit eating. *Sure hope that death rate is lower.

Time we eliminate _everything_ that has caused a few deaths in the
house it will be nothing but a bare concrete slab...oops can't use
that either. people have died pouring it.

There is paranoia and then there is outright idiocy - case in point
'box fan'

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

Tell that to the mobile home that I was renting back in the early 80's
that burnt to the ground after I left a box fan running while I was at
the grocery store.

So you don't use a box fan now?

Nope. Ceiling fans.

Which just stir inside air.

Harry K

*That's all BOX fans do when used properly too - they are NOT window
fans. Using them as such is a misuse.- Hide quoted text -

Says who?

Harry K

They make window fans for that purpose. Box fans are air movers meant
to sit on the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 9, 9:28*am, Ron wrote:

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

[...]

Ceiling fans are what *I* prefer along with central AC. Box fans are
*loud*, unattractive, inconvenient and only blow to centralized spot.
So whatever works for ya.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
That's all BOX fans do when used properly too - they are NOT window
fans. Using them as such is a misuse.- Hide quoted text -

Says who?

Harry K

They make window fans for that purpose. Box fans are air movers meant
to sit on the floor.

What happens to them if you sit them on a window sill? I've seen many used
like that; I'd guess millions nationwide are in windows. I've never seen a
caution about not using them in a window.

However, I did find this on Lasko's web site:
http://www.laskoproducts.com/prodinfo/faq-fans.html
Can I use my Box Fan in a window? Most box fans are not designed for use in
a window

Note the word "most" as opposed to using the word "no".

And the don't give any specifics here
What is a Window Fan? A fan mounted in a window to circulate the air. Window
fans are used for air intake, air exhaust, or air exchange. The blade size
ranges from 8" to 16"

Then, you have this that tells you how to use a box fan in the window.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Window-Fans-for-Home-Cooling
Place fans in windows. Close the window as tightly as possible around the
fan to hold it in place and prevent local circulation

Of course, this box fan is designed for use in windows
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...24&marketID=39

Evidently, geeks don't know everything, even wise ones
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-box-fan.htm
Many homeowners also choose to place a box fan in an open window, similar to
an air conditioning unit. If the home owner places the box fan in the window
so the front faces outdoors, the box fan will draw warm air out from inside
the home. If the homeowner places the box fan with the front facing inside,
the fan with draw in air from outside..

You can even rent one for $3 a day
http://www.loanables.com/items/show/...ndow-Austin-TX

And some people just love them in the window
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...conomical.html
One feature my Lasko 20 box fan has is its compact design. It fits very
well in my window. I can use it to bring in the cooler air from the outside.
This works remarkably well. This is known as an economical in-window air
conditioner. Another nice thing about its size is the fact that it is not
cumbersome to carry out of the store. It fits into my trunk perfectly, also.

My Lasko 20 box fan is also lightweight. Considering its size, I found that
very surprising. It also is very welcomed.

Seems like you have a big job ahead convincing people to take the box fans
out of the window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 9:28*am, Ron wrote:

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

[...]

So whatever works for ya.- Hide quoted text -

Depends on how the box fan is positioned. Mine hangs from the hallway
ceiling and blows down a hallway towards an open window. Much more
effective to 'exhaust' air than to 'input' it...or sumpin like that.
My technique on warm day is

Turn on furnace fan.
If the AC kicks on and is sufficient that is it.
If still uncomfortable in big room, turn on overhead fan.

Ending with:

When outside temp drops to comfortable level, open window and turn on
box fan.
Most times it never gets to the box fan except for short periods.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote
[...]

A window fan is intended to seal the window space so it can inhale as
well as exhale.

Placed a few inches from a screen, a box fan won't inhale much through
the screen but will exhale very well through the screen. This can be
demonstrated by dangling a piece of toilet paper beside the fan. If
it's blowing toward the screen, there won't be much air movement beside
the fan. If it's blowing into the room, the toilet paper will probably
be sucked toward the screen and into the fan. The viscosity of still
air makes it hard to reach the fan through the screen, so air from the
room is sucked around behind the fan.

When a fan exhales toward a screen, the velocity of the air will carry
it right through. A fan 6" from a screen will do better than one 6'
from the screen because the velocity will be greater at the shorter
distance.

A 20" box fan should exhale twice as efficiently as a 10" window fan.
The smaller fan would have to impart 4 times the velocity to blow the
same volume as the larger fan, and that means 16 times the energy.

I have a couple of loops of cord tied through the top of my 9-pound box
fan. It takes just a moment to hang it from hooks at the top of my
kitchen window, where the air is hottest and most humid and there may be
smoke in the event of a cooking mistake. If I want to cool the house, I
walk outside and feel for any movement of air. If there's air coming
from the direction of that window, I'll put the fan on a table in a
window on the other side of the house. No use fighting Mother Nature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Who would be willing to fork-out $200 for this Made in USA product?

http://www.electric-fan.com/fans/9166D/

Lasko and Lakewood are made in America from foreign and domestic
parts. My box fans are Lasko and more than 10 years old and no issues
or complaints.

How Dangerous? T.J. Home Repair 13 July 24th 07 01:43 AM
Dangerous! The Medway Handyman UK diy 65 December 17th 06 11:43 PM
How dangerous are lathes? Toller Woodworking 91 December 10th 06 09:40 AM
Dangerous... jay hey Home Repair 6 March 8th 06 09:00 PM
OT dangerous dogs Larry Blanchard Woodworking 131 November 25th 05 11:05 AM