Posted to alt.home.repair
FatterDumber& Happier Moe FatterDumber& Happier Moe is offline

Default Are BOX fans dangerous????

Noahbuddy wrote:
"jimmy" wrote in
:

I recently had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me
one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have
any info regarding this??

You should have asked why.

I don't like box fans but I have a Chink made 12 inch oscillating fan.
I think I paid 12 dollars for it at a Dollar General store and it's
now 10 years old. I run it on low 24/7. I remember when I got it the
metal fan guard seemed rather heavy so instead of putting it on the fan
I used the guard for a spark arrester on the Chimminia instead of
putting it on the fan.
My thoughts on the whole thing?
For me the highest risk is probably like most Americans my age, heart
attack/stroke cancer, car accident from texting or messing with the GPS
while driving, pit bull attack, drowning in bathtub, gun shot caused by
flashing wrong gang signal when going into Sav-a-lot or 7-11,
electrocution from using drill with bare feet in water puddle, drinking
bug poison or Texaco antifreeze instead of orange soda, drinking Toyota
antifreeze instead of strawberry soda, tripping over sleeping dog and
hitting my head on the sharp corner of old computer sitting on the floor
awaiting repair, getting crushed to death by runaway scooter with fat
lady on it at walmart.
All in all these things should be addressed before worrying about a
box fan bursting into flames, probably a little common sense and thumb
tacking the curtain back when using a box fan would go a long ways
toward solving the flaming box fan crisis.
FWIW the 10 leading causes of death, (this has a lot to do with age)
http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/causes.html
100 years ago communicable diseases headed the list. Maybe box fans will
head the
list in another 50 or 100 years.