Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Are BOX fans dangerous????

On Aug 8, 12:29*pm, "spud42" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in messagenews:loadnSvqNK8vZsPRnZ2dnUVZ_oidnZ2d@gigan ews.com...

"jimmy" wrote in message
I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one
of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info
regarding this??

Anything with a motor is a potential fire hazard. These are generally
cheaply made, but I've not heard of any particular hazard from them. *Did he
give any details as to why? *I've used them for years and never had a
problem, nor have I hear of any others. *But . . . . *I did a quick search
and found this
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06085.html
Name of Product: Lasko, General Electric, Galaxy, and Air King Brand Box and
Pivoting Floor Fans

Units: About 5.6 million

Manufacturer: Lasko Products Inc., of West Chester, Pa.

Hazard: An electrical failure in the motor can pose a fire hazard to
consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Lasko has received 42 reports of fires possibly
associated with motor failures, with seven reports of injuries, including
burns and smoke inhalation. At least eight of the reported fires resulted in
extensive property damage.

and General Electric fans manufactured between January 1999 and July 2001,
and sold through February 2004. Styles and model numbers of recalled fans,
which are either stamped or on a label on the bottom of the fans, are listed
below:

I knew a family who died in a house fire caused by a box fan
The firemen told their relatives That a box fan is not a window fan
Even though thats where it mostly ends up
a little rain and they rust up and the enamel wears away

a quick search

UNITED STATES
CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION

*The insulating enamel on the windings
may have broken down
*and caused sparking and arcing.resulting in overheating
thermally protected motor or a impedance-protected motor.
*as the varnish *broke down and temperature on the winding rose,
the protection failed to keep the windings from *erupting in flames
A contributing factor to portable fan-related fires or potential fires was the presence of
plastic materials. *When a fan with plastic blades, motor housing or enclosure overheated or
caught fire, the plastic reportedly would melt and drip onto combustible materials such as carpet,
clothing, bedding, paper, etc.

: The incident data show that the second largest number
of incidents was related to the power-supply cords.
The current power-supply cord requirements for portable electric fans allow SP-1, SP-2,
SPT-1 and SPT-2 type constructions. *These single-layer-insulation types of cords are not
sufficient to prevent damage as described
*According to AHAM, imported portable fans represent more than 75 percent of
all portable fans sold in the U.S., and China is the major exporting country of these products
Information concerning safety
standards on the fans, cords, or plugs was also very limited. *For example, only 63 involved fans
or cords were identified as UL Listed;
Spud- Hide quoted text -

A very good, believable report on somehting that _could_ have happened
with no apparent evidence that it did.

Harry K