Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make a tool to clean up threads on a garden hose?

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:07:59 GMT, notbob wrote:
I'd cut off the old fittings and replace them with new ones.

It looks like a tap and die don't exist at a reasonable price for 3/4 inch
diameter, 11.5 threads per inch or 12 threads per inch (i.e., less than say
$25 or $30 bucks).

It looks like a thread file doesn't even exist for 11.5 threads per inch or
for 12 threads per inch.

Therefore, if the threads are bent and worn, there is apparently no
(reasonable) way to clean them up except with a small triangular hand file.

There is no ready-made purpose-built solution other than to replace the
ends.

Bummer. I was hoping to find a reasonably priced tap and die or thread file
that fits the garden hose thread (GHT).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 00:19:53 +0000 (UTC), Brent
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:51:52 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

I don't think that the difference between 11.5 and 12 TPI would make
much of a difference

Assuming a garden hose is 3/4 inch and 11.5 TPI, and assuming a tap for 3/4
inch and 12 TPI would fix it ...

Is the consensus that a 3/4 inch tap and die with a 12 TPI pitch is
actually available on the market?

See if you can find a 9/16 x 12 for both internal and external or a
1" x 12 for the external thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:51:52 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

I don't think that the difference between 11.5 and 12 TPI would make
much of a difference

Assuming a garden hose is 3/4 inch and 11.5 TPI, and assuming a tap for 3/4
inch and 12 TPI would fix it ...

Is the consensus that a 3/4 inch tap and die with a 12 TPI pitch is
actually available on the market?

See if you can find a 9/16 x 12 *for both internal and external or a
1" x 12 for the external thread.

As it turns out the 2.00 section of my metric thread file is a perfect
fit for a hose end.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brent" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:00:09 -0700, Steve B wrote:
Soaking overnight in common vinegar, then a toothbrush sized wire brush
works for removing that scale from stuff I clean.

I understand that. It just might be lime 'crudding' up the threads that
are
scaled (the dinged threads are another matter).

Thanks for that hint.

It seems a "thread chaser" specifically for garden hoses does not exist.

Shhhhhhhh! Get it together, and then submit it to the OMB for consideration
by "The Green Machine". Don't forget to set aside my 15%. And put that it
will save one million gallons of water a minute that's currently being
wasted. Don't know if that's accurate, but it sure sounds good, don't it?

We need to save the wasted water, by golly! It's an endless loop, but it
must be saved.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 18:28:13 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:

the 2.00 section of my metric thread file is a perfect
fit for a hose end.

I have SAE thread files. I'll see if I can find a set of metrics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote the following:
Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

Wire brush.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 1:12*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
""__ Bøb __"" wrote in ...

Hardware stores all carry replacement ends .. price varies with quality,
but they all work. * Just be sure to get the correct size for your hose.

Most are a POS, and not much better than the boogered one on there. *I
personally like the plastic ones than the thin metal ones, and I have yet to
see good heavy brass repair ends.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

I use the plastic ones all the time and have no problem with them.
Granted one of those on the end of a quality hose does look odd but...

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 4:58*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:23:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 4, 4:12 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
""__ Bøb __"" wrote in

Hardware stores all carry replacement ends .. price varies with
quality,
but they all work. Just be sure to get the correct size for your hose.

Most are a POS, and not much better than the boogered one on there. I
personally like the plastic ones than the thin metal ones, and I have
yet to
see good heavy brass repair ends.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

"I have yet to see good heavy brass repair ends"

These choices all *look* good, but who knows.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...den-ft1_lawn_g....

I've tried those. *If your hose-walls are exactly the right thickness
they work good for a while & are easy to tighten or reuse.

http://www.gilmour.com/Watering/Hose...nc-Menders/Bra....

They *are* the ones-- better than factory on a wide range of hoses.

http://www.horseloverz.com/Female-co...--Brass---58-I....

Those also rely on the thickness of the hose wall. *I haven't had good
luck with them.

Jim

DKAY, but I have trouble finding the right fixit for the right wall
thickness. *Most of the hoses I buy are either cheapies with the thin metal
ends, or the really good thick ones with the hefty brass. *The hefty ones
last, and I really haven't had to fix any. *The wimpy thin ones are another
story. *After they get pressurized a few times, they have to be redid.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com- Hide quoted text -

Odd. I have been using them for over 30 years and have nevery had to
"fix" any of them unless I boogered it up by cross threading. Never
had to tighten one either that was correctly applied originally.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 07:45:10 -0400, willshak wrote:
What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

Wire brush.

In summary, there is no specific cost-effective tool to clean up brass
garden hose threads.

Most people use a wire brush and/or a triangular file to clean up dirty
and/or buggered threads respectively.

There is a rather expensive $125 tap (http://tinyurl.com/2wv9x3t); but
nobody knows of a die for a garden hose thread (GHT ?).

Also, the tap seems to have a "plug" and a "bottom", whatever that means:
http://tinyurl.com/38od8p9

The problem in getting a tap and die (besides the cost) is that most people
seem to be wrong on the size, which seems to be (if I'm right):
Right Hand National Hose thread 3/4" at 11 1/2 TPI NH (but what is "bottom"
and "plug")?

Note: I'm not sure what the "NH" means nor what the "Bottom" means nor what
"GHT" is since it's not in the specifications and nobody else seems to know
much about the threads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Brent wrote:

[...]

Taps have a tapered starting end, so they cut only very shallow
incomplete threads at first, and after several rotations begin to cut to
full depth of thread. A plug tap has fewer tapered threads than a
standard "taper" tap, and a bottoming tap has fewer yet, for getting
closer to the bottom of a blind hole.

NH = National Hose
GHT = Garden Hose Tap

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Brent typed:
[...]

Try automotive battery post cleaners; an inside/outside brush device. Works
well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2010 07:35 PM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
typed:
[...]

As a complete aside... a plumber's brush for cleaning up copper 1/2" and
3/4" pipes for soldering is also just the thing for cleaning your
typical automotive bulb sockets when they get rusty.

nate

(BTDT on more than one "barn car")

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.