Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Do they make a tool to clean up threads on a garden hose?

In article ,
Brent wrote:

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 07:45:10 -0400, willshak wrote:
What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

Wire brush.

In summary, there is no specific cost-effective tool to clean up brass
garden hose threads.

Most people use a wire brush and/or a triangular file to clean up dirty
and/or buggered threads respectively.

There is a rather expensive $125 tap (http://tinyurl.com/2wv9x3t); but
nobody knows of a die for a garden hose thread (GHT ?).

Also, the tap seems to have a "plug" and a "bottom", whatever that means:
http://tinyurl.com/38od8p9

The problem in getting a tap and die (besides the cost) is that most people
seem to be wrong on the size, which seems to be (if I'm right):
Right Hand National Hose thread 3/4" at 11 1/2 TPI NH (but what is "bottom"
and "plug")?

Note: I'm not sure what the "NH" means nor what the "Bottom" means nor what
"GHT" is since it's not in the specifications and nobody else seems to know
much about the threads.

Taps have a tapered starting end, so they cut only very shallow
incomplete threads at first, and after several rotations begin to cut to
full depth of thread. A plug tap has fewer tapered threads than a
standard "taper" tap, and a bottoming tap has fewer yet, for getting
closer to the bottom of a blind hole.

NH = National Hose
GHT = Garden Hose Tap