Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make a tool to clean up threads on a garden hose?

Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

chaniarts wrote:
Brent wrote:

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

a brass hose nozzle

Seems to me a regular set of black or galvanized fittings would help
more given they're harder than the brass...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
chaniarts wrote:
Brent wrote:

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

a brass hose nozzle

Seems to me a regular set of black or galvanized fittings would help
more given they're harder than the brass...

Ignore...hose threads aren't NPT... ...slaps self...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:
Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

A small triangular file, about 1/8" on a side.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Hardware stores all carry replacement ends .. price varies with quality,
but they all work. Just be sure to get the correct size for your hose.

On 8/4/2010 1:11 PM, Brent wrote:
Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap& die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

Posted to alt.home.repair

""__ Bøb __"" wrote in message
Hardware stores all carry replacement ends .. price varies with quality,
but they all work. Just be sure to get the correct size for your hose.

Most are a POS, and not much better than the boogered one on there. I
personally like the plastic ones than the thin metal ones, and I have yet to
see good heavy brass repair ends.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 4:12*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
""__ Bøb __"" wrote in ...

Hardware stores all carry replacement ends .. price varies with quality,
but they all work. * Just be sure to get the correct size for your hose.

Most are a POS, and not much better than the boogered one on there. *I
personally like the plastic ones than the thin metal ones, and I have yet to
see good heavy brass repair ends.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

"I have yet to see good heavy brass repair ends"

These choices all *look* good, but who knows.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...;pg103384.html

http://www.gilmour.com/Watering/Hose...-Couplers.aspx

http://www.horseloverz.com/Female-co...pr-310619.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:23:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 4, 4:12*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
""__ Bøb __"" wrote in ...

Hardware stores all carry replacement ends .. price varies with quality,
but they all work. * Just be sure to get the correct size for your hose.

Most are a POS, and not much better than the boogered one on there. *I
personally like the plastic ones than the thin metal ones, and I have yet to
see good heavy brass repair ends.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

"I have yet to see good heavy brass repair ends"

These choices all *look* good, but who knows.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...;pg103384.html

I've tried those. If your hose-walls are exactly the right thickness
they work good for a while & are easy to tighten or reuse.

http://www.gilmour.com/Watering/Hose...-Couplers.aspx

They *are* the ones-- better than factory on a wide range of hoses.

http://www.horseloverz.com/Female-co...pr-310619.html

Those also rely on the thickness of the hose wall. I haven't had good
luck with them.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:23:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 4, 4:12 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
""__ Bøb __"" wrote in

[...]

DKAY, but I have trouble finding the right fixit for the right wall
thickness. Most of the hoses I buy are either cheapies with the thin metal
ends, or the really good thick ones with the hefty brass. The hefty ones
last, and I really haven't had to fix any. The wimpy thin ones are another
story. After they get pressurized a few times, they have to be redid.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 1:12*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
""__ Bøb __"" wrote in ...

Hardware stores all carry replacement ends .. price varies with quality,
but they all work. * Just be sure to get the correct size for your hose.

Most are a POS, and not much better than the boogered one on there. *I
personally like the plastic ones than the thin metal ones, and I have yet to
see good heavy brass repair ends.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

I use the plastic ones all the time and have no problem with them.
Granted one of those on the end of a quality hose does look odd but...

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Aug 4, 11:11*am, Brent beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

==
I just use a battery post cleaner...you know, the pointy end for the
battery clamps. If that is too harsh a fine emery cloth in folds can
follow the threads. In all cases don't use too much pressure to
prevent deep scratches especially with the battery brush.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:28:08 -0700 (PDT), Roy wrote:
I just use a battery post cleaner...

Interesting idea. I didn't mention it, but, a lot of the "crud" on the hose
is just caked on deposits ... so maybe the battery post cleaner will work.

However, some is dinged up brass, in which case I'll need to reshape the
threads with some kind of thread chaser.

Although I did look at the suggested replacement ends which is a different
approach ... i.e., instead of fixing them, just replace them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brent" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:28:08 -0700 (PDT), Roy wrote:
I just use a battery post cleaner...

Interesting idea. I didn't mention it, but, a lot of the "crud" on the
hose
is just caked on deposits ... so maybe the battery post cleaner will work.

However, some is dinged up brass, in which case I'll need to reshape the
threads with some kind of thread chaser.

Although I did look at the suggested replacement ends which is a different
approach ... i.e., instead of fixing them, just replace them.

Soaking overnight in common vinegar, then a toothbrush sized wire brush
works for removing that scale from stuff I clean.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:00:09 -0700, Steve B wrote:
Soaking overnight in common vinegar, then a toothbrush sized wire brush
works for removing that scale from stuff I clean.

I understand that. It just might be lime 'crudding' up the threads that are
scaled (the dinged threads are another matter).

Thanks for that hint.

It seems a "thread chaser" specifically for garden hoses does not exist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brent" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:00:09 -0700, Steve B wrote:
Soaking overnight in common vinegar, then a toothbrush sized wire brush
works for removing that scale from stuff I clean.

I understand that. It just might be lime 'crudding' up the threads that
are
scaled (the dinged threads are another matter).

Thanks for that hint.

It seems a "thread chaser" specifically for garden hoses does not exist.

Shhhhhhhh! Get it together, and then submit it to the OMB for consideration
by "The Green Machine". Don't forget to set aside my 15%. And put that it
will save one million gallons of water a minute that's currently being
wasted. Don't know if that's accurate, but it sure sounds good, don't it?

We need to save the wasted water, by golly! It's an endless loop, but it
must be saved.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Brent wrote:
Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

Would depend largely on just how badly they're beat up; don't know why
would be such, particularly the spigot connection (female) end.

Any thin file or hone would let you touch up external threads; interior
would take some finagling, depending again on what/where the damage is.

I'd look for solid taps/dies on places like eBay or CL; one can find old
Craftsman or other brand stuff on occasion that comes from estates or
other similar sources for not too much sometimes. I've not looked; it
might even be possible to find some really cheap HF or similar import
stuff that would be adequate for the purpose.

Alternatively, use some regular steel fittings to see if they'll chase
the brass; it being somewhat softer. Some coarse grit compound could
help maybe.

I've got a full-range set of pipe dies up to 2" in an inherited set of
Craftsman from grandfather that date back to 30's and taps to 1" similar
age. Found a Ridgid adjustable on eBay reasonable a couple years ago
for 1" - 2-1/2" so haven't worried about looking recently.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

Any thin file or hone would let you touch up external threads; interior
would take some finagling, depending again on what/where the damage is.

I'd look for solid taps/dies on places like eBay or CL; ...

Ignore...hose thread isn't NPT. ...slaps self...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:38:52 -0500, dpb wrote:

Ignore...hose thread isn't NPT. ...slaps self...

Exactly. They don't seem to MAKE a hose-thread tap and die ... and even if
they did, it would cost more than the hose (which is about $50 for a decent
hose).

But maybe a thread chaser would work if I can find one in the right hose
thread and pitch (whatever that is for a garden hose).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:

Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

If they are machined brass couplings, you can clean them up with a file.
If they are the much more common rolled brass couplings filing won't
work since the material is too thin. Normally the best route is to
purchase quality replacement fittings, cut the old ones off the hose and
install the new ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:30:58 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
If they are machined brass couplings, you can clean them up with a file.
If they are the much more common rolled brass couplings filing won't
work since the material is too thin.

I buy the best hose I can find.
a. Long (100 feet if possible)
b. Rubber (no vinyl!)
c. 3/4 inch ID
d. SOLID brass fittings

I hate those shiny plated rolled metal fitings; step on them once or drive
over them once and they're crushed. The hoses I buy you could drive over
with a truck and they'd still be ok.

But, brass is brass. It gets caked up and dinged like crazy. The hose is in
good shape but the ends are banged up (I'm rough on 'em, dragging them
about all the time).

I think the ideas proposed so far a
a) Triangular file for the male (female is tougher)
b) Battery post wire brush
c) Replace the end altogether
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:

Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

I like these-
Gilmour zinc hose menders- $4-6
http://www.deerso.net/Gilmour-Group-...B000CSYN1M.htm
never dealt with deerso, just the first link I found

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

It is 3/4 pipe so taps & dies will do it--

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Brent wrote:

Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

I like these-
Gilmour zinc hose menders- $4-6
http://www.deerso.net/Gilmour-Group-...B000CSYN1M.htm
never dealt with deerso, just the first link I found

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

It is 3/4 pipe so taps & dies will do it--

Jim

How can you say that Jim?

3/4" NPT pipe threads are 14 TPI and tapered.

US GHT (Garden Hose Thread) is 11.5 TPI and straight.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

It is 3/4 pipe so taps & dies will do it--

Jim

How can you say that Jim?

3/4" NPT pipe threads are 14 TPI and tapered.

US GHT (Garden Hose Thread) is 11.5 TPI and straight.

Apparent brain fart? I can remember looking for *some* fitting for
a particular purpose & asking my hardware guy where he was hiding
them. "You can use 3/4 pipe" he said--- and it worked.

Now if I could only remember what *that* was.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:28:47 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:
3/4" NPT pipe threads are 14 TPI and tapered.
US GHT (Garden Hose Thread) is 11.5 TPI and straight.

I can rent (for free when you return it) a set of thread files from
AutoZone but I wonder if they'll have a 11.5 threads per inch size?

I doubt it ... but I'll ask them now that I know the thread pitch!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 1:11*pm, Brent beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

You can get thread files. I have a couple. They are square and have
a different thread on each side and one each end making 8 different
threads on the file.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:37:44 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:
You can get thread files. I have a couple. They are square and have
a different thread on each side and one each end making 8 different
threads on the file.

Does your thread file set have the pitch for a garden hose?
- US GHT (Garden Hose Thread) is 11.5 TPI and straight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

Any reason you don't want to replace the ends?

They have cheap ones and they have goods ones, but even the good ones
are cheaper than new hose.

Just curious...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

Just curious...- Hide quoted text -

http://www.cicle.org/wordpress/wp-content/files2.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:13:23 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:

http://www.cicle.org/wordpress/wp-content/files2.jpg

AutoZone will rent these thread files for free (once returned).
But, I doubt they have 11.5 threads per inch, no taper.

But I'll check just in case as a thread file for GHT (garden hose thread)
would be the perfect reusable solution ... if it exists!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brent" wrote in message
Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

Get a set of Nicholson locksmith files, and clean them up manually. Aren't
those 3/4" standard threads that would clean up with a run through in a die?
I guess it would depend on how boogered up they are, and if the opening was
out of round. That's fairly soft stuff, and should clean up easily.
Fergeddabout those little flimsy cheapy sheet metal hose connectors. Even
plastic is better than those.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:11:50 -0700, Steve B wrote:

those 3/4" standard threads would clean up with a run through in a die?

Either a tap/die or a thread file would work fine. The problem is finding a
tap/die or thread file in GHT (garden hose thread) with 11.5 TPI (threads
per inch).

I can't find that.

Of course, I could just cut them off and replace them; but the whole point
of buying solid brass fittings is long life and it's a shame to waste them
for want of cleaning up the threads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:11:44 +0000 (UTC), Brent
wrote:

Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still
thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to
clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply
who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose)
to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive
tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

If you want to fix it cheaply just find or borrow any 12 thread per
inch tap. Use it as if it was a internal or external thread file.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:51:52 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

I don't think that the difference between 11.5 and 12 TPI would make
much of a difference

Assuming a garden hose is 3/4 inch and 11.5 TPI, and assuming a tap for 3/4
inch and 12 TPI would fix it ...

Is the consensus that a 3/4 inch tap and die with a 12 TPI pitch is
actually available on the market?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 00:19:53 +0000 (UTC), Brent
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:51:52 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

I don't think that the difference between 11.5 and 12 TPI would make
much of a difference

Assuming a garden hose is 3/4 inch and 11.5 TPI, and assuming a tap for 3/4
inch and 12 TPI would fix it ...

Is the consensus that a 3/4 inch tap and die with a 12 TPI pitch is
actually available on the market?

See if you can find a 9/16 x 12 for both internal and external or a
1" x 12 for the external thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Brent wrote:
...snipped...
What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

A small 3-corner file will do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
Brent wrote:
...snipped...
What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass
garden hose threads?

A small 3-corner file will do it.
--

Steel wool has always worked for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:47:39 -0400, h wrote:
A small 3-corner file will do it.

Steel wool has always worked for me.

The threads are dinged up so the file might work; but the steel wool will
only remove the oxidation.

I was hoping to find a source for a GHT tap/die set or a thread file source
for the 11.5 TPI pitch.