Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do houses burn in a fire?

Why do houses burn in a fire?

Well, I think everyone knows that answer. Its because most houses are
made from flammable materials such as lumber. But there's a catch.
Lumber will only ignite if it's dry. Wet wood will not easily burn.
It has to dry before it will really ignite.

I have developed a solution to prevent fires. The lumber that frames
your house is extremely dry. This is because its enclosed inside
walls that prefent water from entering. The solution is to soak that
lumber in water on a regular basis. I am planning to build a new home
very soon. I intend to run a piece of perforated pipe thru all the
walls (similar to a soaker hose). This pipe will be connected to the
water supply. Once a week or at any other set interval, water will
automatically spray inside the walls, just enough to saturate the
lumber. This will be hooked to a timer that automatically turns the
water on and off. This timer can be adjusted to turn on and off the
water once a week, once a month, or every day. You set it as you feel
is necessary to keep that wood wet.

In the event a fire does break out, the wood will not burn or burn
much slower, allowing time for the fire department to arrive. Houses
and lives will be saved. There will be an initial cost to install
this system, but once installed, it will only add a few dollars to the
water bill every month. Well worth the satisfaction that your house
is not a major fire waiting to occur.

I'm the inventor of this system. Plans will soon be available for a
small fee to cover my printings and shipping costs. I will post a
notice on this newsgroup when they are ready for distribution.
My goal is to save lives and property, not to profit from this.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:57:41 -0500, invention7 wrote:

[...]

HAHAHAHAHAHAH I'm drunk and you're nutz.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You forgot about warping. Wet wood warps, that's why they dry it before
building with it. You'll have a crooked little house.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin--
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote the following:
[...]

Ha!! We won't mention mod, will we?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote the following:
wrote the following:
[...]

Sorry, 'mod' was supposed to be 'mold'.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

invention7 unlisted.com wrote:

[...]

Frequently wetting the wood will very likely cause more damage
than the risk of fire damage.

From: invention7 unlisted.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Why do houses burn in a fire?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:57:41 -0500

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Doe wrote the following:
[...]

The answer is to move the whole house to a more humid climate, like
Costa Rica..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
LSMFT wrote:

inv
You forgot about warping. Wet wood warps, that's why they dry it before
building with it. You'll have a crooked little house.

And a mold farm.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Why do houses burn in a fire?

PLONK!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:bghh56t7o99d6gekidi418iq03mcb05t26@
4ax.com:

[...]

I'll wait for a coupon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 9:57*pm, wrote:
[...]

I don't think it is a good idea to be spraying water inside your home.
Fire-alarms have reduced damage and casualties tremendously.
You are entering a market at the wrong time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 9:57*pm, wrote:
[...]

Others have mentioned mold, but I have solution for that.

We'll put gas burners inside the walls. Once a week or at any other
set interval, flames will automatically ignite inside the walls, just
enough to dry out the lumber. This will be hooked to a timer that
automatically turns the flames on and off. This timer can be adjusted
to turn on and off the flames once a week, once a month, or every
day. You set it as you feel is necessary to keep that wood dry.

There will be an initial cost to install this system, but once
installed, it will only add a few dollars to the gas bill every
month. Well worth the satisfaction that your house is not a major
mold factory waiting to occur.

As with you, my goal is to save lives and property, not to profit from
this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:57:41 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Carpenter ants are going to *love* you!

In the event a fire does break out, the wood will not burn or burn
much slower, allowing time for the fire department to arrive. Houses
and lives will be saved. There will be an initial cost to install
this system, but once installed, it will only add a few dollars to the
water bill every month. Well worth the satisfaction that your house
is not a major fire waiting to occur.

I'm the inventor of this system. Plans will soon be available for a
small fee to cover my printings and shipping costs. I will post a
notice on this newsgroup when they are ready for distribution.
My goal is to save lives and property, not to profit from this.

DOn't give up your day job. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote in
news
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:57:41 -0500, invention7 wrote:

Why do houses burn in a fire?

Well, I think everyone knows that answer. Its because most houses are
made from flammable materials such as lumber. But there's a catch.
Lumber will only ignite if it's dry. Wet wood will not easily burn. It
has to dry before it will really ignite.

even concrete block houses burn;
it's the stuff inside,like rugs,furniture,etc.

[...]

a Great way to grow toxic mold.
Ever see a house that's been in a flood? They have to rip out all the
drywall,spray all the studs with bleach to kill the mold or totally
demolish the home and rebuild.

Or your lungs are affected and your kids develop allergies and health
problems.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote in :

wrote:
[...]

warping is the least of problems with wet house walls. MOLD is the biggie.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:17:52 -0400, willshak wrote:
[...]

or the bottom of a swamp
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:33:08 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote in
news
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:57:41 -0500, invention7 wrote:

Why do houses burn in a fire?

Well, I think everyone knows that answer. Its because most houses are
made from flammable materials such as lumber. But there's a catch.
Lumber will only ignite if it's dry. Wet wood will not easily burn. It
has to dry before it will really ignite.

even concrete block houses burn;
it's the stuff inside,like rugs,furniture,etc.

Anyone remember McCormick place?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a third grade school project.Won't be long he'll be back in
school.
Jr.

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
Sounds like a third grade school project.Won't be long he'll be back in
school.
Jr.

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

If y'all are gonna respond to trolls in droves, please at least wait for
the funny ones. OP in this thread wasn't even close. Make them work for
it. 18 replies in less than 6 hours?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 6:57*pm, wrote:
[...]

I have a better idea. By the use of advanced grafting you can grow
your own house. Unlike the wet lumber it will not attract termites but
instead it will naturally protect itself from them. It will grow with
your family, so if you start grafting a new room for the baby it will
be ready by the time the baby needs it. You will not have to worry
about building codes Not only that but you won’t need sewage either.
You can place covered pits around it and channel your sewage to them
and your feces will fertilize it to grow even more robust. For what an
architect will charge you I can come and show you how to do grafting.
Here is an example of what can be done with advances grafting:

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/conten...rafting-CR.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 9:57*pm, wrote:
[...]

First, most of the deaths are due to smoke inhalation, not the fire
itself.

Second, most of the framing is protected by 1-2 hour flameproof
material like drywall.

Third, as one poster said, it is the curtains, couches, chairs and
etc. (called teh fire load) that usually are on fire first.

Fourth, I think you need to re-think your place in this world.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Remember reading/hearing/watching about Stachybotrys chartarum? Nasty
stuff for kids. What about Aspergillus fumigatus and the other not-so-
common Aspergillus genus? An almost certain death warrant for immuno-
compromised individuals. That leads me to systemic mycoses. Not good news
even for people with healthy immune systems.

Mycotoxins kill people, not the mold itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2010 10:02 PM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

Nah. Poor kid couldn't get a summer job and thinks he's having fun with us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:23:56 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
LSMFT wrote:

inv
You forgot about warping. Wet wood warps, that's why they dry it before
building with it. You'll have a crooked little house.

And a mold farm.

Take some pictures of the mold and use a computer to alter them to make
them look like the Virgin Mary.

Show these in a public place with a lot of people and yell a lot.

Eventually, you can form a church. That's a place where you can display
your Marymold pictures and have people pay you to yell at them. Also
serve wine.

People will now pay to see the actual mold, and will (because of the
church and the wine) have lost the ability to notice the mold isn't the
same as in the pictures.

Many of these people will now pay high prices to remove your mold.

Now you've got no mold but can easily afford to grow more (and buy more
wine).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rent.

Move down the street when on fire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, hold my beer.

I think I got another one.

Don't feed the trolls.

Morons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 12:02*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Hey, hold my beer.

I think I got another one.

Don't feed the trolls.

Morons.

I wasn't feeding the trolls.

I think my idea to start timed fires inside the wet walls to eliminate
the mold problem from the wet wood has merit.

Here, take you beer back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
Sounds like a third grade school project.Won't be long he'll be back in
school.
Jr.

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

If y'all are gonna respond to trolls in droves, please at least wait for
the funny ones. OP in this thread wasn't even close. Make them work for
it. 18 replies in less than 6 hours?

Sheesh. I'm astonished also at how many were snared by something so weak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Aug 4, 12:02 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Hey, hold my beer.

I think I got another one.

Don't feed the trolls.

Morons.

I wasn't feeding the trolls.

I think my idea to start timed fires inside the wet walls to eliminate
the mold problem from the wet wood has merit.

Here, take you beer back.

You don't count, DD. You're not the average sucker. ;-)

Hey, I had more beer than this! Where's the rest?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 12:02 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Hey, hold my beer.

I think I got another one.

Don't feed the trolls.

Morons.

I wasn't feeding the trolls.

I think my idea to start timed fires inside the wet walls to eliminate
the mold problem from the wet wood has merit.

Here, take you beer back.

You don't count, DD. *You're not the average sucker. *;-)

Hey, I had more beer than this! *Where's the rest?

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

"Where's the rest?"

Right....Buuuurp!....here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 02:02:37 +0000 (UTC), Jeff The Drunk
wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH I'm drunk and you're nutz.

Have you ever considered joining Alcoholics Anonymous?

The difference between drunks and alcoholics is that drunks don't have to go
to all those damn meetings.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 23:34:28 -0500, "
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:33:08 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote in
news
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:57:41 -0500, invention7 wrote:

Why do houses burn in a fire?

Well, I think everyone knows that answer. Its because most houses are
made from flammable materials such as lumber. But there's a catch.
Lumber will only ignite if it's dry. Wet wood will not easily burn. It
has to dry before it will really ignite.

even concrete block houses burn;
it's the stuff inside,like rugs,furniture,etc.

Anyone remember McCormick place?

I do. I think they it was made of dry concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

newsan.2010.08.04.02.02.39@BoozersandLoozers. only:

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:57:41 -0500, invention7 wrote:

Why do houses burn in a fire?

Well, I think everyone knows that answer. Its because most houses are
made from flammable materials such as lumber. But there's a catch.
Lumber will only ignite if it's dry. Wet wood will not easily burn. It
has to dry before it will really ignite.

even concrete block houses burn;
it's the stuff inside,like rugs,furniture,etc.

Anyone remember McCormick place?

I do. I think they it was made of dry concrete.

It burned pretty completely, for being made of concrete (, steel, and glass).