Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Why do houses burn in a fire?

LSMFT wrote in :

wrote:
Why do houses burn in a fire?

Well, I think everyone knows that answer. Its because most houses are
made from flammable materials such as lumber. But there's a catch.
Lumber will only ignite if it's dry. Wet wood will not easily burn.
It has to dry before it will really ignite.

I have developed a solution to prevent fires. The lumber that frames
your house is extremely dry. This is because its enclosed inside
walls that prefent water from entering. The solution is to soak that
lumber in water on a regular basis. I am planning to build a new home
very soon. I intend to run a piece of perforated pipe thru all the
walls (similar to a soaker hose). This pipe will be connected to the
water supply. Once a week or at any other set interval, water will
automatically spray inside the walls, just enough to saturate the
lumber. This will be hooked to a timer that automatically turns the
water on and off. This timer can be adjusted to turn on and off the
water once a week, once a month, or every day. You set it as you feel
is necessary to keep that wood wet.

In the event a fire does break out, the wood will not burn or burn
much slower, allowing time for the fire department to arrive. Houses
and lives will be saved. There will be an initial cost to install
this system, but once installed, it will only add a few dollars to the
water bill every month. Well worth the satisfaction that your house
is not a major fire waiting to occur.

I'm the inventor of this system. Plans will soon be available for a
small fee to cover my printings and shipping costs. I will post a
notice on this newsgroup when they are ready for distribution.
My goal is to save lives and property, not to profit from this.

Nick

You forgot about warping. Wet wood warps, that's why they dry it before
building with it. You'll have a crooked little house.

warping is the least of problems with wet house walls. MOLD is the biggie.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik