Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall Over Steel Basement Reinforcement Studs

Greetings,

I just had my basement walls reinforced with steel beams installed
every 36 inches on average. I had to tear the drywall down for the
finished portion of the basement and am now trying to figure out the
best way to redo the drywall.

I see two options: One would involve a combination of glueing the
drywall directly to the metal studs and glueing several 2x4's
horizontally between each pair of studs to screw the drywall to.

The other option would be to build small rectangular frames out of
2x4's and install them between the metal studs. This would be
difficult since there are few floor joists to attach to above since
that is where the metal studs are attached. Also, the bottom of the
metal studs are flanged and I'd have to work around this.

Would the glue idea work? Is there another way?

Thanks in advance for your advice/opinions,

Rob

Shoring up potentially damaged studs without removing all the drywall? StarMan Home Repair 17 November 4th 07 03:14 AM
Mounting Ikea Effektiv Cabinet on drywall with metal studs Jason Harrison Home Repair 2 September 16th 07 06:52 AM
Studs behind drywall SAl Home Repair 5 October 28th 06 03:17 AM
Steel reinforcement in concrete ? Don UK diy 4 November 29th 05 09:51 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM